Hi.

I currently own a Takamine acoustic guitar. I bought it back in 2003. Last year I bought new strings from Amazon. I think the brand is Elixir or D'Addario, I couldn't remember the exact model. What I remember is that I was told to buy the thin one. Anyways, I'm having a hard time pressing the string against the neck. It sounds good though. Yesterday, I went to guitar center and played few guitars specifically the Taylor. I was able to easily tell something is wrong with my guitar. Though I looked at the action, the string is just 3mm away from the neck.

What can I do?

Thanks,
Neil
If it's not the action of the guitar restring it with a lighter gauge of strings. Also worth mentioning that a good pro set up can make a night and day difference when it comes to playability. Try these strings out.
https://www.amazon.com/DAddario-EJ15-Phosphor-Acoustic-Strings/dp/B000EENC0C
ESP E-II Horizon FR
Gibson Flying V HET SET
ESP Eclipse II FM JB/Jazz
ESP M-II Deluxe EMG 81/SA
Marshall JCM2000 DSL/ JCM800 1960a cab
Mesa Mark V 25
I have a question about the strings you posted. Will my guitar still sound full?
It's tough to say if the guitar will sound as "Full". Generally when you go to a lighter gauge you get easier playability but sacrifice a bit of tone. Only way to find out if it works for you is to experiment with different string gauges and find one that suits you. As for string height numbers those are more guidelines than anything. On electrics for example I set my action far below what Gibson recommends on my V because their recommendation is far too high IMO. I wish I had more straight forward answers to give you but a lot of this comes down to personal preference.
ESP E-II Horizon FR
Gibson Flying V HET SET
ESP Eclipse II FM JB/Jazz
ESP M-II Deluxe EMG 81/SA
Marshall JCM2000 DSL/ JCM800 1960a cab
Mesa Mark V 25
Last edited by ltdguy27 at Jul 19, 2016,