Youtube vids of the Amplifire sound great, but it is 600 dollars. I have bias fx, amplitube, ampkit on ios and they all are mediocre, mostly because I always run into a muffled sound or unnatural fizz. Looking to change that, and heard a good interface makes a big difference. The plug and play nature of the Amplifire is more appealing, but the tones need to justify the price. Any hands-on experience with both the amplifire and modern plugins? Youtube vis for Amplifire seem to sound better but since I can't actually try it out with a guitar it is hard to gauge.

One other thing.. what would you do for a looper and metronome for the Amplifire?
We're just a battery for hire with the guitar fire
Ready and aimed at you
Pick up your balls and load up your cannon
For a twenty one gun salute
For those about to rock, FIRE!
We salute you
What do you hear the sound out of? Studio monitors, headphones, maybe even just plain old computer speakers?

I'd say getting a hardware modeller really only is worth it if you play live or if you record a lot and need the high quality tones. When I'm in between rehearsals, I often still play through Amplitube or Bias even though my Kemper is sitting besides me, but plugging it in isn't convenient at the time.

I have no experience with the Amplifier, but I've heard from people with hands-on experience that it's really nice for the price.

As for the looper and metronome, those can both be done in your DAW. Metronome should be standard and there are a handful of plugins for looping if you don't just want to create tracks and record that way.
The Amplifire does have a metronome.
It's a pretty good piece of gear really. Just don't expect it to be just plug n play. Most of the stock patches are pretty ordinary but writing your own is very easy.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I have studio headphones and monitors. I will use it mainly for private practice and some recording, so portability is not a giant factor. When I said plug and play, I meant less on the tweaking side, which I will surely do a lot of, and more on the side of after getting presets saved, just being able to plug in my headphones and guitar and go.
Ready and aimed at you
We salute you
Every amp VST I've ever used has the option to save presets as well, so in that sense, the Amplifire isn't more plug and play.

Have you played with 3rd party IR's? I think most of your problem really is in setting up the VST's you're using since you're using studio headphones and monitors and those should be able to reproduce a nice sound. What interface do you have?
I've been down this long and painful road. Some VSTs do sound fantastic (Guitar Rig, Amplitude etc). But, and it's a big BUT, unless you have an absolute monster of a PC running nothing else on it, you'll ALWAYS have a problem with latency. Some people can cope with a few milliseconds of latency for other instruments, but for the guitar, even a few ms will seriously mess up your timing and kill the mood. For many years now I've used a BOSS BR-800 for many reasons, chief of witch is zero latency monitoring with the models/effects applied.

I've a few articles on this, here's the first.

https://adamharkusblog.wordpress.com/2016/06/15/boss-br-800-digital-recorder-review/
I'm using iRig HD on ios. Honestly I'm a little baffled by how to load ir's. I have audiobus and bias...and downloaded fiddlicator, but IRs tend to come in zip file and can't be loaded directly into fiddlicator. Is there some easy way to do it on ipad? The ipad is such a pain when it comes to file management..
Ready and aimed at you
We salute you
Quote by AdamHarkus
I've been down this long and painful road. Some VSTs do sound fantastic (Guitar Rig, Amplitude etc). But, and it's a big BUT, unless you have an absolute monster of a PC running nothing else on it, you'll ALWAYS have a problem with latency. Some people can cope with a few milliseconds of latency for other instruments, but for the guitar, even a few ms will seriously mess up your timing and kill the mood. For many years now I've used a BOSS BR-800 for many reasons, chief of witch is zero latency monitoring with the models/effects applied.

Sorry, that's nonsense. You can alter your latency by more than a few ms just by moving away from your monitor on stage...(1.13 ft./ms so at 20 feet you've already introduced over 17ms of latency.)
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
21GunSalute, I thought you were using the desktop-versions, not the mobile ones. Can't help you with those.
Arby911

Why would you move 20 feet from your monitor though ?

17ms at that distance may not be much, but you still need factor in the latency caused by running through a PC, which will REALLY throw you off.

If you can get close to zero latency then no problem, all I'm saying is you may find that hard depending on your hardware.
What he's saying is "do you notice latency when you play at say 20 ft?"
If no, then 17ms is inaudible.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by AdamHarkus
Yeah i get it, but you haven't factored in the extra latency of going through a PC, at some point (100ms for example) it will bother some people .

Do you even actually try the stuff you talk about? My latency through the PC I use for modeling is 9ms, although it does get to 12ms if I run a complex rig. (Stereo amplification with multiple pedals)

Note that I'm not using a particularly robust system, it's got an older Quad-Core AMD processor, 8gb RAM etc. that's a few years old, probably a $350 system at best by today's standards.

It's currently got half a dozen different modeling programs on it, some as VST's, some standalone. I haven't found one yet that meet all my criteria but most of them would be perfectly serviceable for a live show. (Let's be honest, live shows are generally MUCH more forgiving than a recording session...)
Charles Darwin
So..as for tones through modelers vs Amplifire, any more input?
Ready and aimed at you
We salute you
Quote by 21GunSalute
So..as for tones through modelers vs Amplifire, any more input?
The Ampliire craps all over any PC based modeller I've tried.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
The Ampliire craps all over any PC based modeller I've tried.

I suspect the software is newer and more advanced than the stuff you've tried?

That, coupled with purpose built hardware, is generally a recipe for success.
Charles Darwin
Looks like if Amplifire gets available by next month when I visit the US I will be getting one
Ready and aimed at you
We salute you
Arby911Quite possibly and yes. It's no bigger than a pad either, well it's thicker. It's way more robust too. It's a very solid piece of kit.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification