I tried Jackson and Ibanez in many genres, this brands good only rock/metal, any superstrat similar ?
Why are they only good for that? You can play anything on anything. There's no reason why a Jackson with single coils can't play texas blues or country.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
The amp you're using matters much more than what type of guitar.
ESP E-II Horizon FR
Gibson Flying V HET SET
ESP Eclipse II FM JB/Jazz
ESP M-II Deluxe EMG 81/SA
Marshall JCM2000 DSL/ JCM800 1960a cab
Mesa Mark V 25
Quote by ryanbwags
Why are they only good for that? You can play anything on anything. There's no reason why a Jackson with single coils can't play texas blues or country.

Quote by ltdguy27

Yup to both.

If I can play it on my Sheraton/Tele/LP, I can play it on my Soloist.
Id say there are quite a few "superstrat" guitars I'd use for other genres besides rock/metal, but the most common ones are definitely aimed at that.

Suhr, Tom Anderson, Levinson, Music Man etc. make guitars that could be considered superstrats, or at least would appeal to someone looking at superstrats, that id use for lots of things
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by ltdguy27

I disagree with this. You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Yes, superstrats work for lots of different genres. It's the brands that people think of as being only about metal. But so what. If you like the guitar and use it for different genres, go for it. Washburn does similar superstrats, even BC Rich did them and you can still find some new ones out there.
I have 7 superstrats they are very versatile, if you have a good quality amp capable of doing different styles/tones it will make more of a difference than your guitar.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by Anonden
I disagree with this. You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.

Jesus. That's perfect.

Anyway, OP - it's all down to the pickups. I've done funk and jazz with my ESP 7 string.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
By playing this BC Rich for Funkadelic, this Mike Hampton has been doing it ALL wrong since 1975.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jul 21, 2016,
I played in a folk punk band with an RG3EXFM1 for a while, before switching back a strat, so there's plenty of thigns you can do with a superstrat.
Cry yourself to ash
Quote by dannyalcatraz
By playing this BC Rich for Funkadelic, this Mike Hampton has been doing it ALL wrong since 1975.

This reminds me of almost every single one of Jerry's guitars

I think if you can play Box of Rain and Dark Star with these, you can do pretty much whatever you want with whatever you want.
Cry yourself to ash
Quote by Anonden

Yngwie might disagree

http://www.seymourduncan.com/pickup/yjm-fury-strat-set
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Jul 22, 2016,
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Jul 22, 2016,
Ingwy has never impressed me tone-wise. However, I was impressed with Emnity_Ensues' Indiscriminate track, so I have to back peddle a little on that. I wouldn't want that tone, but it was decent.
Singlecoils sound bad for metal if you play them through an amp you dialed in while playing metal on a guitar with humbuckers.

Start over on the settings, and singlecoils can and will sound metal as fuck.
Quote by Anonden
I'm open to hearing it.
Listen to the first Sabbath album. 4 of those tracks are Iommi playing a strat.
What truth?

If you don't think Sabbath is metal, you have no fucking clue what metal is.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Die in a fire, child.

Quote by slapsymcdougal

If you don't think Sabbath is metal, you have no fucking clue what metal is.

Seconded.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jul 22, 2016,
I know a lot of people think that. They were proto/pre. The tones were weak. Amps and production were in their infancy. The drumming was just rock. Late 70s/early 80s that started to change. Blizzard of Oz was a hallmark. Ride the Lighning was where it started to mature.

Ya all are personal about it, though.
Last edited by Anonden at Jul 22, 2016,
TS is probably the sort of person who scoops out his Boss MT2 and thinks hearing any kind of articulation (let alone yourself) is not metal.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by Anonden
Awww, not E-VEN. That's not even Metal. It's barely heavy metal. Gimme sumpm real.

Just curious, but what metal bands do you listen to, oh wise one?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I'm playing almost everything on the JTV-89F's. It's the only "superstrat" shape in the Line 6 Variax line, and it was obviously *intended* for shredders (which is why I actually resisted it at first), leastways where looks are concerned. I've been a long-time fan of LP shapes and set neck or neck-through guitars. To make it worse, Line 6 made this guitar available only in black and "blood red" and they even preloaded extra down-tuned alternate tuning settings on the modeling section of the guitar. Turns out that this may be the most versatile and best-designed guitar in the Variax line. Go figure.
Good lord people. We all know if you play anything other then metal of one form or another a super strat type guitar will cause an imbalance in the universe and everything we know will be destroyed in a great implosion. I mean have you seen bands like Lynard Skynyrd play an Explorer? Well maybe they do.
Okay I might be exaggerating just a tad. The operator and amp have much more to do with the music produced then the guitar that is being played. Just a few knob twists on the amp and you can go from clean Hee Haa foot stompin to blistering head banging metal.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Quote by Bhaok
Good lord people. We all know if you play anything other then metal of one form or another a super strat type guitar will cause an imbalance in the universe and everything we know will be destroyed in a great implosion. I mean have you seen bands like Lynard Skynyrd play an Explorer? Well maybe they do.
Okay I might be exaggerating just a tad. The operator and amp have much more to do with the music produced then the guitar that is being played. Just a few knob twists on the amp and you can go from clean Hee Haa foot stompin to blistering head banging metal.
Point of fact, Ricky Medlocke uses an Explorer as his primary guitar with Skynyrd.

And he's - in a sense - an original member, since he was their drummer before they got signed.
To clear up the mess here - the type guitar is almost irrelevant, it's the type of pickups that is the main issue when trying to play cleaner styles. Many Superstrats have overly high output or active pickups which sound basically terrible for older/cleaner styles of music like classic blues, country etc and which in turn makes them poorly suited for those types of tones. That being said, you can basically play anything on anything if you know what you're doing and how to set your amp properly.
Quote by reverb66
Many Superstrats have overly high output or active pickups which sound basically terrible for older/cleaner styles of music like classic blues, country etc and which in turn makes them poorly suited for those types of tones.

Yeah I always think that might be one reason why a lot of people dislike superstrats or think they're only aimed at heavier tones- if you've only played superstrats which come stock with hot pickups that probably is the case, but it's the pickups which are pigeonholing the guitar, not the guitar style itself. If you play a superstrat with lower output pickups they can be very versatile.

granted, that's not to say everyone who doesn't like them is wrong either- they don't sound exactly like a les paul, for example, and it just depends on what you want.

personally I love them.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Point of fact, Ricky Medlocke uses an Explorer as his primary guitar with Skynyrd.

And he's - in a sense - an original member, since he was their drummer before they got signed.

Way to miss the obvious one:

There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by I K0nijn I
Anonden, listen to Cassini by Sithu Aye. Done with a Strat.

I'm not into the djent tone thing. All the piss taken out of the sound. The rhythm is missing girth, and the leads missing a creaminess. The mix is very good, though.

Quote by theogonia777
Just curious, but what metal bands do you listen to, oh wise one?

It's not a matter of what I listen to, but what music is. That's the wisdom. Note my following comment above about time period and hallmark albums, and why they are tone-wise. Now, I like those albums, because they are great, but they do have their flaws. Puppets upped the ante that Lightning began with. And so on....

Megadeth was great from Peace Sells through Rust in Peace, but none of those albums had great guitar tone, and even RIP's production was only 90%.
Last edited by Anonden at Jul 22, 2016,
Quote by Anonden
I'm not into the djent tone thing. All the piss taken out of the sound. The rhythm is missing girth, and the leads missing a creaminess. The mix is very good, though.

It's not a matter of what I listen to, but what music is. That's the wisdom. Note my following comment above about time period and hallmark albums, and why they are tone-wise. Now, I like those albums, because they are great, but they do have their flaws. Puppets upped the ante that Lightning began with. And so on....

Megadeth was great from Peace Sells through Rust in Peace, but none of those albums had great guitar tone, and even RIP's production was only 90%.
You probably like the mix on Death Magnetic, don't you?
No responses from TS, and this isn't the 'argue about what is metal' forum so I don't think we're moving towards any answers here.

Also some of y'all need to calm down.
Last edited by Roc8995 at Jul 22, 2016,