Hello,

the current problem I'm having at the moment is finding a good boost for my fuzz pedal (big muff).
the pedal i currently use to boost my fuzz sound is a t rex dr swamp, usually this just thins out my fuzz and it completely loses its kick,
i currently play a fender mustang 2005 with custom pickups through a vox ac15c1.
having spoke to some friends who are also guitarists they seem to think the problem lies with the amp not being able
to take as many pedals as I'm playing, although i never play with more than 2/3 on at the same time.
all I'm looking for is a boost to make the fuzz a touch louder with a bit more feedback,

Thanks
Last edited by HungoverJ at Jul 19, 2016,
What have you tried so far?

If you're diming a muff and one or two other pedals into the front of your amp you are likely saturating the preamp, so it's probably not going to get any louder.
Roc8995 i moved the boost (dr swamp) in the chain so it was before the fuzz pedal to see if it made a difference, it seemed to but not to a great extent.
i usually always have the big muff on with a dd-3 for a slight delay.
Buy a Way Huge swollen pickle donny edition! It can do whatever you want while being able to control thickness. Love that pedal!
If you want the fuzz to be louder then a clean boost behind it (preferably in fx loop) will do that. Roc8995 is absolutely right.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
I've had a similar issue with fuzz and boosts, period. It's something I do t fully understand, and I'd love to see what people have to offer on this. My boost will get loud enough, but it does take a lot of dynamics out and tends to darken up the tone of my fuzz.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Two reasons - impedance and saturation.

Impedance:
A boost (or actually a lot of pedals) in front of a fuzz will often make it do weird things because fuzzes tend to be sensitive, unbalanced circuits with low input impedance (unlike most pedals and amps which are high input impedance). The fuzz dynamics are dictated through a direct interaction between the high output impedance of the guitar pickups/volume pot and the low impedance input of the fuzz. Basically, your guitar and the fuzz are one circuit, with some interesting and unusually sensitive distortion interaction. The current from your pickups can directly influence the behavior of the fuzz because of the low impedance input on the fuzz. Putting a boost or a buffer in front of the wah breaks that link by introducing a high impedance to the guitar and a low impedance to the fuzz, so now the fuzz is getting a low impedance signal and the guitar is seeing a high impedance signal - totally the opposite of the fuzz alone. All of this means no more interaction with the pickups and volume control, which means crappier dynamics.

In case you're not familiar with the impedance terms, in this case it's basically just resistance to current flow. Usually a high impedance input is good, because we don't need the current from the pickups, just the voltage, and refusing the current by using a high input impedance reduces "loading" the pickups by demanding more current than they can supply. Similarly, a low output impedance for pedals is usually desirable because it will 'drive' the cables after them by making the trip easier (less 'impeded'). The only time that the opposite is used is when you are purposefully trying to load the pickups - enter the fuzz. A lot of fuzz designs load the pickups because they don't care about the signal being clean, they're going to mangle it anyway.

Saturation:
Just means that if the fuzz is already clipping the shit out of your signal, adding more signal is just going to clip it more, not make it louder. Similarly your amp's input can only take a certain amount of signal, so again at some point you cannot boost it into more volume, just more clipping.

Impedance is more likely to be the primary issue with simpler, older designs like Fuzz Face and Tonebender type pedals. Saturation is more likely the culprit with more modern fuzzes with more gain stages, like Big Muff type pedals.
First, nice rig! I use a Mustang myself and really love the sound of my cheap but quiet and effective Biyang C08 compressor boosting my Muffish fuzz. It gives it punch without affecting the saturation too much, sounds glorious for leads!
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by HungoverJ

(...)

having spoke to some friends who are also guitarists they seem to think the problem lies with the amp not being able
to take as many pedals as I'm playing, although i never play with more than 2/3 on at the same time.
all I'm looking for is a boost to make the fuzz a touch louder with a bit more feedback,

Thanks

I can't speak so much about your specific pedals but I have played with many vox amps (including AC15C1 as well as many others) and those amps LOVE pedals. Yours doesn't have an effects loops so it's a bit more limited but that's irrelevant for a fuzz and distortion, which you'd want into the front of the amp anyways.

I myself have the AC30C2 and have routinely run 5 or 6 pedals into it with no problem, live and in studio and in rehearsal, for the better part of 5 years, now.

Don't listen to those guitarist friends of yours who tell you the problem is your amp
HungoverJ Make sure your overdrive ( the Trex) isn't set with a lot of gain - you should adjust the Trex's settings while the big muff is on so that you get clarity and a boost. I can run two overdrives into my Pharaoh Fuzz and still get a workable organic tone. The Big Muff may be a different beast, but you should at least try rolling back the gain on your Trex- you don't need a lot of gain going into a fuzz to make it sound crazy, especially at loud volumes.

The amp certainly isn't an issue. Worst off get a different fuzz - the Pharaoh Fuzz from Blackarts Toneworks is amazing, versatile, and affordable.