Tab:

I think this style still goes over my head at this point. The way I try to play it choke out the chord and then follow with two finger muted strums and so on. I feel like I might be following the tabs too literally though which is a disaster for any form of rhythm. I can never have it sound remotely like how it's supposed to sound like, whether I try it slowly or quickly. Is there any particular technique to this or should I just git gud? Not only talking about fretting and muting, both my hands are clueless what to do.

Example (35 seconds in):

Maybe someone can give a detailed run-down of what he's doing?

Thank you,
Last edited by harleytju at Jul 19, 2016,
harleytju

There's nothing unusual happening here ... the riffing is just involving right-hand damping (slighltly) and the "funk" style chords are basically played with consistent alternate picking, missing where needed. 35 secs in is just a muted slide. Pick out a specific section and maybe we can help (ideally just a few bars where you have real problems getting it to sound right). But have you tried listening to this at say 30% speed?
Last edited by jerrykramskoy at Jul 19, 2016,
I meant past the slide haha.
but well, if it's simple that's good.
There's very dominant keyboard in this which is misleading but slowing it down did seem to help
at 60% speed it sounds like the notes are actually just kept ringing until the muted strums
Slowing it down seemed to have helped so much though thank you.
I think I have it right now, hopefully, after plenty of practice,

Sorry for the dumb question, but thank you

PS: for the mutes after ----20, should I mute the open string by using the finger I used for B, or bring in my middle finger to mute it? Both work, but the first way seems more intuitive. Is one of them in particular better or should I just use what feels right?
harleytju
Listening to music slowed down is always really useful ... I do this all the time. As for finger choice, that's always a mix of what's comfortable for you plus what's coming up next (so you minimise change in hand shape, hand movement, to get there) ... everyone has different physiology ... while it's definitely the case you need to be happy using all 4 fingers of fretting hand, different stretches, different ways of crossing strings, works for different folk. Main thing is pick what works for you, and then be consistent,
Break down each bar and learn it in two beat sections. Then join the two sections together and you'll have one bar completed.

If you can read the rhythmic notation that'll help you immensely.
I just found that listening to just the bass track and playing over that helps a lot, more than trying to imitate the guitar. I don't have the original isolated bass track but I just muted everything but the Bass and played over that, incrementally increasing the speed and I got all of it now!