So after working so hard these last few months, I decided to spend the money I made on overtime to treat myself.

Reluctantly, I had to drag this 60lbs (or so) pig upstairs in 90 degree heat.

It's the oversized PPC closed back Celestion V30's. The real deal.

I chose to get this one specifically because anything with Mesa slapped on it is so ludicrously overpriced in the UK. There was a Mesa Recto 212 for cheaper than this Orange in NJ, but the cost of customs tax would've completely defeated the point. The quality of these cabs are just as good as any other Mesa plus the one I did find was not oversized like I wanted. So overall I'm really pleased. It's absolutely skookum as fuck, as expected.

But there's a small problem.

See how that shelf stack is right against the doorway and the cabinet is sticking in front of it?

It means that shelf has got to go.

Which meant dumping all of the stuff out of the stack, and lifting it up onto my horizontal stack. In 90 degree heat.

The second wall hanger had to be removed and redrilled in the spot where the shelf stack used to be standing, which meant doing drilling into some brick too.

But priorities, y'know

Ta-daa.

Back on-topic now.

Yes.

I know it looks silly, but my 6505+ combo is due to be converted into a head very soon. that amp has been so heavily modified that practically the only thing that I've left stock is its cosmetics. In reality it's a totally different beast.

Rest assured, I will address the head conversion when I have more time and I'll post a new thread showing how I did it.

Now for the bad news. the speaker cable I had is broken and I do not want to risk damaging my amp by running a guitar cable into it. So unfortunately, no sound clips yet.

You will have to wait and see on that one I'm afraid.

But for now, this is the latest progress on my rig overhaul. I am crazy stoked to grab a new speaker cable this weekend and drive this thing to kingdom come. Let alone doing a head conversion on that bad boy and wrapping it in ivory Tolex.

Things are happening.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jul 19, 2016,
Here's a pic in slightly better lighting if you'd like a closer look.

The tuners are Grover Keystones.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jul 19, 2016,
"Skookum"?
HSSACINAD!*

* Happy Shifting Shit Around 'Cause It's New Amp Day!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Here's a pic in slightly better lighting if you'd like a closer look.

The tuners are Grover Keystones.

Yum!

Lovely cab too!
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by dannyalcatraz
"Skookum"?

It means for something to be strong or powerful.

It's a fun word.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by dannyalcatraz
"Skookum"?

It means the same as "Pookie."
Skookie-ukums.
Usually uttered by a female, head leaned forward, lips pursed.
Reference "Poooooooooookie, I'm hoooooorrrnny" as uttered by Leslie Ann Warren in Victor Victoria.

Some deluded males will insist it means something else.
Sure it does.
Hey, take that back! I have a deceased cousin in Nigeria named Pookie! All I need to get her home is send some money to their ministry of foreign affairs. They'd prefer a direct transfer...
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

You should buy speaker cables with 90-degree ends. I think they work much better as far as being low-profile.

Also, I don't know what kind of bed you've got but if you raise it, you'll have a lot more room underneath.
Eventually you are going to run out of space. My old room was much worse than yours as far as packing stuff in. Then I bought a house and have multiple rooms, and too much space.
sweeeet! congrats.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
sweet
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
There's a guy selling one of those cabs in my town - I'd almost consider getting one and wiring the speakers in parallel for my Twin just for shits and giggles, but then my rig would weigh more than I do

Really nice setup there I especially dig the Jackson.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by K33nbl4d3
There's a guy selling one of those cabs in my town - I'd almost consider getting one and wiring the speakers in parallel for my Twin just for shits and giggles, but then my rig would weigh more than I do

Are you counting just amps, or including pedals & guitars?

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jul 21, 2016,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Are you counting just amps, or including pedals & guitars?
Just amps, if the Orange site is to be believed on the weight of the cab.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
I'd need 3-6 combo amps before being at risk of that! then.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jul 21, 2016,
Quote by KailM
That rig is gonna slay -- congrats! What mods did you do to the 6505? Hopefully the 5150 mod...

I did a lot of mods to this amp.

. I've heated up the bias on both the pre and power sections.
. I've modded the lead channel preamp and input stages to Soldano SLO specs. At one point I modded the preamp to Mesa Duel Recto specs, but I didn't like the result.
. I've modded the clean channel to not be dissimilar in wiring to that of a Fender Bassman. WAY nicer than stock.
. Modded the effects loop
. Switched out a bunch of pots so that they operate in more usable ranges, namely the mid and both presence controls.
. Replaced all the tubes with JJ's. Most notably a 5751 in both V1 and V5.
. A redundant Celestion V30 which I will sell since it's perfectly good
. Some other miscellaneous cap and resistor value changes that alter the way the controls affect the tone of the amp.

I've done a lot of experimentation with this amp and with the aforementioned mods that I've done, that amp rips.
Quote by Gutch220
You should buy speaker cables with 90-degree ends. I think they work much better as far as being low-profile.

I'm not sure what you mean by this? Do you mean being able to turn the cab on it's end?
That would actually allow my setup to fit with my shelf stack being there. But I think it looks dumb and moving the shelf out of the way freed up floor space too.
Also, I don't know what kind of bed you've got but if you raise it, you'll have a lot more room underneath.
Eventually you are going to run out of space. My old room was much worse than yours as far as packing stuff in. Then I bought a house and have multiple rooms, and too much space.

I would have to get a new bedframe to get a cabinet this size of fit under it.

I do need a larger room; there's not really enough to fit all of my guitars in here all at once without tripping over them. There's no more space for wall hangers either unless I put a wall hanger over my bed. But obviously that's a bit dangerous.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Really nice setup there I especially dig the Jackson.

Cheers.

The setup is still in the midst of evolving of course. I've got the head conversion to do, a few more pedals and then another guitar on the agenda
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jul 21, 2016,
There's nothing wrong with a combo on top of a cab. I did that for a while; JCM900 2x12 on top of a 1960A. It worked really well. Open backed cab on top of a closed backed one. It sorta overcomes the beaming problem associated with 4x12's
I know your 5150 is closed backed but still ... more speakers is good.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Gutch220
T00DEEPBLUE
.....like this one (only in speaker cable form)

I just got a regular cable. The 90 degree ones saving space isn't a problem for me.
Quote by Cathbard
There's nothing wrong with a combo on top of a cab. I did that for a while; JCM900 2x12 on top of a 1960A. It worked really well. Open backed cab on top of a closed backed one. It sorta overcomes the beaming problem associated with 4x12's
I know your 5150 is closed backed but still ... more speakers is good.

Oh I know there's nothing wrong with running a combo on top of the cab. I just think it looks a bit dumb.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jul 24, 2016,
Sweet congrats on the aquisition of the Orange, and thanks to the pics we all know now that you jam out in front of a mirror to practice your rock star moves.

Anyway rock on HNCD!
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Jul 25, 2016,
Quote by Evilnine
Sweet congrats on the aquisition of the Orange, and thanks to the pics we all know now that you jam out in front of a mirror to practice your rock star moves.

Shit, the whole world knows now
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by Evilnine
Like we don't all do that
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Jul 25, 2016,
Ummm...I don't. My only mirror is in my bathroom.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Ummm...I don't. My only mirror is in my bathroom.

I don't really want to know what you do in front of that one, but thanks for sharing...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Well, since you didn't ask, it's usually 3 somes with Bloody Mary & The Candyman...

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Like we don't all do that

I don't have any mirrors in my jam room plus I'd prefer not to see the faces that I make when playing guitar!

I'll admit back in the day before I owned a guitar my dad came home from work early and caught me rocking out to my Krokus Headhunter album in front of a mirror with a tennis racket, he was not impressed
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Jul 25, 2016,
Eat the rich!

Got an update regarding the head conversion.

I think I'll make another thread on this though.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by Evilnine
I don't have any mirrors in my jam room plus I'd prefer not to see the faces that I make when playing guitar!

I'll admit back in the day before I owned a guitar my dad came home from work early and caught me rocking out to my Krokus Headhunter album in front of a mirror with a tennis racket, he was not impressed

“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
If you are just worried about how it looks, how about just recovering the 6505 in orange tolex?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
If you are just worried about how it looks, how about just recovering the 6505 in orange tolex?

A Peavey made to look like an Orange?

I'm tolexing it in ivory white. And regarding the LED's (which everyone has to mod if they're going to do it properly ), I'm going for violet-coloured LED's behind the reverb tank. Nobody makes LED light bars near me with that colour or at the appropriate voltage/current I need. So I made one myself from scratch. It's a bit cobbled together and it isn't my proudest soldering job since I've had to bridge the contacts between the LED's by quite long distances with the solder, but it works and the colour is awesome. I'll show that once more materials come in and I have enough time to start assembling everything. Most likely over the weekend.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jul 26, 2016,
Quote by Cathbard

win-sauce!
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/