So I recently bought a used Dean razorback union jack, the guitar was working fine for the first week, today when I plugged in my guitar I noticed that the bridge pickup was sounding really weak, as if the volume of it was set to 2 or 3. Is there anything I can do with it before taking it to a guitarshop to check it out?

Thanks
nemo178Try wiping off the magnets, occasionally they'll get covered with a grime, and that can definitely decrease your sound. If they're clean, try using an airduster to blow-clean he coils, there may be dust and dirt in there. And it's only the bridge pickup, not the neck pickup?
Guitars make life so much better...
It's most likely just some dirt or dust in the pickup selector switch - spray some contact cleaner in there and wiggle it back and forth for a few seconds and that should probably dislodge anything that's affecting the contacts inside the switch.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Blompcube I'm not really sure if its dirt, I forgot to mention that that the middle switch only plays the neck pickup now, and the sound of the bridge pickup is completely gone now. I gotta feeling that it might just need re-soldering but ill definitely try out your suggestions! thanks
"Used" is sometimes an issue here. If the guy before you used steel wool to buff up the frets, there's every chance that bits of it fell into the coils (were "pulled" in by the magnets). If it corrodes in there, it can actually pierce the coil wire's insulation and start a corrosion process that will lead to small shorts that will eventually ruin the pickup.
2 volume 1 tone control maybe?
closest to strings controls neck pickup volume
middle is bridge pickup volume
farthest is tone.
Last edited by n3cr0p57 at Jul 20, 2016,
Quote by nemo178
Blompcube I'm not really sure if its dirt, I forgot to mention that that the middle switch only plays the neck pickup now, and the sound of the bridge pickup is completely gone now. I gotta feeling that it might just need re-soldering but ill definitely try out your suggestions! thanks

I would clean the switch first, I have had that same problem a few times. deoxit is your friend.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by dspellman
"Used" is sometimes an issue here. If the guy before you used steel wool to buff up the frets, there's every chance that bits of it fell into the coils (were "pulled" in by the magnets). If it corrodes in there, it can actually pierce the coil wire's insulation and start a corrosion process that will lead to small shorts that will eventually ruin the pickup.
That would suck :/, I got a pretty good deal for this guitar considering that im in U.A.E and you never get good deals. The setup itself took many hours due to a worn out screw at the claw of the tremolo, so I hope this isnt a big problem
Quote by Blompcube
It's most likely just some dirt or dust in the pickup selector switch - spray some contact cleaner in there and wiggle it back and forth for a few seconds and that should probably dislodge anything that's affecting the contacts inside the switch.

That's what I was gunna say!

Likely to be the switch OP.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
UPDATE:- took it to the shop, they checked the wiring it looked fine, used the contact cleaner but now it went kinda dead again. The main problem is it works most of the time and then goes weak, when i took it to the shop it was working. Any solution guys?
I'd replace the switch.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .