So basically my tube screamer isn't working right. By that I mean I get no LED light when I press the pedal to turn it on, despite it working perfectly in the shop (yes, I bought that exact one).

I checked the battery, that is working. I tried the 9v power cable, that didn't work, despite it working on my other pedals. I haven't got anything plugged in wrong since the signal still travels from the guitar to the amp perfectly, which also rules out any possibility of cabling issues.

I cannot think of anything else that it could be.

Oh, but it does rarely turn on.
I am as puzzled as you and I think there is a simple reason. Have you tried the pedal with a different power supply? Did you drop the pedal? Try different patch cables in the signal in. Please update if you find what is causing it.
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
I've had a similar problem with my Ibanez SD 9 distortion, sometimes it will turn on and work fine, but no clean sound at all. I asked at an electronics forum and they said it was probably the FET switching. That's a type of on/off switch used, instead of a simple physical on/off switch. I'm guessing yours is as old as mine, 1980's, so it might be developing problems in the switching. I tried some contact cleaner and it didn't seem to do much. I got mine in about 1988 well used. So far it's been working perfect the past 3 years but I always keep a backup in my wire bag so if it decides to go flaky onstage I can swap it in 2 minutes. I got a Boss DS-1 and a couple of others I can swap in on short notice.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Quote by Paleo Pete
I'm guessing yours is as old as mine, 1980's, so it might be developing problems in the switching.
Even if it's not, the FET switches on Maxon-designed Ibanez pedals are known for crapping out. True bypass mods are common, but the easiest (not cheapest) solution is to leave it on all the time in a true bypass loop so you have a more reliable switch controlling it. Of course, plenty of clones don't have this problem in the first place - you could always sell it and get an EHX East River Drive or something instead. But that solution didn't appeal to me, either.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Honestly, it is one that is essentially brand new - I'm going to take it back to the shop and get them to swap it for me. I wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing anything obvious or unrelated to the pedal itself, but the more I've played with it since, the more that it is definitely the pedal
Quote by fchfgvsabgf1
Honestly, it is one that is essentially brand new - I'm going to take it back to the shop and get them to swap it for me. I wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing anything obvious or unrelated to the pedal itself, but the more I've played with it since, the more that it is definitely the pedal
For sure, if it's new that's the sensible option.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
I still have my 1980's Maxon built TS9 I bought it used around 90/91 it was and is still in like new condition although I have never gigged with it I just use in my jam room at home.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by Evilnine
I still have my 1980's Maxon built TS9 I bought it used around 90/91 it was and is still in like new condition although I have never gigged with it I just use in my jam room at home.
I have an ~'83 GE9 (also Maxon-built) which uses the same kind of switching and you wouldn't know it's ever been used except for one dent in the top. After a cleanup it's had no issues whatsoever. Likewise my reissue TS808. Even so, the FET switches on those things have a pretty established reputation for failing when they really shouldn't.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I have an ~'83 GE9 (also Maxon-built) which uses the same kind of switching and you wouldn't know it's ever been used except for one dent in the top. After a cleanup it's had no issues whatsoever. Likewise my reissue TS808. Even so, the FET switches on those things have a pretty established reputation for failing when they really shouldn't.

I got mine from my brother in a swap he was buying an amp from me and had like $25 less than what I was asking for it, I coulda just let him have it but I made him give me the TS9 He bought it new in 83 he gigged with it a few times and wasn't really using it, he is still trying to get it back from me
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Jul 22, 2016,