Hey guys, I have been lax in making a NAD thread and so actually have 3 items to share so bear with me.

My setup was a Peavey Valveking and Blackstar HT-5, the VK did my clean tones and was used for playing at church, the HT was for my hobby metal needs.

Eventually I decided I wanted a better tone for my church setup and also something that offered a way to connect to the PA without having to mic as having done that it is not the best setup in my situation. Which led me to the Traynor YCV80 – an 80W tube two channel amp that also includes a D.I. out with speaker emulation. Also I managed to sell my VK, buy the Traynor and make $100.

The Traynor has a much more lively and full tone to me over the VK and really shines in the clean to light breakup range of tones on the clean channel, the dirt channel starts at nice light breakup and can get nice rock and punk tones but it definitely not made for hard rock/metal, there is a boost on the dirt but I like it about as much as the boost on the VK dirt channel – not very much. Another plus on the Traynor over the VK is the reverb.

The D.I. out volume is controlled by the channel volume which allows me to set the out to the PA with the channel and control my onstage/monitor volume with the master, all in all I am very happy with the amp and the setup it allows me to run. The version I got was the quad combo with 4x10” speakers so I made a head cab (see picture below) for a more portable option. The head was my first attempt so while not perfect it will work.

Having resolved my clean amp I thought it might be nice to get a better quality metal amp, I had a line on a Rectoverb and a XXX ver II, but both of those fell through. After that I figured I didn’t need another amp, I’d save my money and would just be satisfied with my current HT for metal. Then surprise surprise, one day my wife say I left something for you in your guitar room, I head down and find this…. MY WIFE IS AWESOME!

A MESA Single Rectifier Solo 50 head with a custom head case. I am surprised that this thing doesn’t get more love, most of what you find when you look for MESA and metal is all about the Dual Rec, but this thing smokes, (also the clean channel is really nice – if I had this first I might have not gotten the Traynor – although it doesn’t have the DI out). My favourite setting at the moment is on the Vintage setting pushing it with a Timmy Clone pedal and this thing roars, beautiful full low end that isn’t mushy and a nice smooth but still aggressive bite – the modern channel is definitely more edgy but at the moment I am preferring vintage.

Definitely a step up over the HT, although the HT still has a decent metal sound it doesn’t have the fullness or aggression of the MESA.

Having now satisfied my metal needs with the MESA the Blackstar became unnecessary so I put it up for sale and got a trade offer for an Eleven Rack withe the expansion pack installed.

I researched before the trade and came to the conclusion that while I may not be into the digital world it would be fun to play with and I think a step up from the Blackstar even if I only used it as an interface. I have only had the 11R for a few days but it is definitely fun to play with and sounds really good, the MESA Recto emulation is very accurate. I am currently seeing if it makes more sense for me to run my church setup through the 11R or unload it.

So that’s my new gear update.
Last edited by guitarsngear at Jul 20, 2016,
Happy new gear day man! I'm jealous of that Mesa. If I was to get one of would be a single. Wish my lady would buy me gear. But at least she lets me buy things!
All very cool acquisitions! HNGD I really wish that the Eleven Rack was still getting updates or that they would release a new version. I really liked mine, it was an awesome unit.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
For your first attempt, it looks like you did a pretty good job converting that combo into a head and cab. Will you be having another crack at it? I'm thinking of converting my other half's beat-up old Ashdown bass combo into a head for her to use with borrowed cabs at gigs, and maybe used the speaker to make an isolation cab, so any tips would be greatly appreciated :-)
very nice! I think you're wife is a keeper. Haha.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by luke.g.henderso
For your first attempt, it looks like you did a pretty good job converting that combo into a head and cab. Will you be having another crack at it? I'm thinking of converting my other half's beat-up old Ashdown bass combo into a head for her to use with borrowed cabs at gigs, and maybe used the speaker to make an isolation cab, so any tips would be greatly appreciated :-)

Thanks, it suiting my needs right now so I am probably just going to leave it. I made a whole new cabinet for the head so I can simply put it back in and make it stock again if I want to sell it, you might want to consider the same. Use enough adhesive when applying the tolex/covering (I used vinyl from a local fabric shop because I am cheap and also didn't want to wait/have time to) I seemed to have skimped a bit on the edges and some of them are coming up. Related to that after covering the head a piece of wood on the inside and some clamps would probably have helped to make the edges bond better. Best of luck,

Quote by trashedlostfdup
very nice! I think you're wife is a keeper. Haha.

Definately!
One of her old bass combos has a big chunk out of the cab, so I don't think I need to be too careful with that one, but the Ashdown Electric Blue seems ok, I just need to make it work...
Nice scores!
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
excellent
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
What did you get for your wife to earn yourself that?
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
you may want to consider making a back panel for the cab, something that just screws on.

great scores, including the wife!
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.