So, I'm shopping around for a decent tower PC that'll handle most if not any kind of gear upgrades I throw at it for the time being. I'm looking for some advice re: what I need to look for when buying. I'm not too bothered by price... well within reason haha.. as I'd much rather get something professional now than end up spending more in the long run.

I've done some research on the subject and understand that'll I'll need something as quiet as possible with something like 8 or 16gb ram for processing (and a couple of slots spare for expansion), as little latency in whole the system as poss...

But there are so many reviews for various parts about that I'm getting quite confused. I'm not 100% confident how to achieve the kind of system I want without buying a load of obsolete, incompatible crap.

Basically:
  • I'm in the UK.
  • I'd rather have a custom job than something out-of-the-box, just so I can pick and choose.
  • Professional grade as possible. The pipe dream is to open my own studio in the future but I don't have the time to be constantly upgrading.
  • I'd also love a decent graphics card ... but this is a music forum, so ignore that haha

If you have any recommendations, how-to blog links, supplier/seller recommendations, that kind of thing, lay it on me. Also feel free to list out your own setups as I'd love to learn about the kind of thing people are currently happy working with.

If you need any more context, just ask.
Cheers.
Here's what my system looks like, right down to fans:

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/jT4xGf

So you can adjust from there, but ultimately you want to ensure you are spending cash money on CPU, RAM, Drives and power.
Quote by Watterboy
Do you have any dilithium crystals or fresh warm dumps for sale
Nice one! I'll have a play around with that. Ultimately I think I'm looking at around £1500.

Can I assume the 4 HDDs are simply there for extra storage? 1 solid and 1 "traditional" would probably be enough too as long as they're of a decent size, right? Solid for OS, etc, etc, of course.
Quote by Of_Wolves
Nice one! I'll have a play around with that. Ultimately I think I'm looking at around £1500.

Can I assume the 4 HDDs are simply there for extra storage? 1 solid and 1 "traditional" would probably be enough too as long as they're of a decent size, right? Solid for OS, etc, etc, of course.

1 SSD - System (OS)
2 SSD - Samples (EastWest Ra/StormDrum/Ghostwriter, Addictive Drums, Motif)
1 HDD - ProTools Session Audio
2 HHD - Photoshop, Premiere, Lightroom
Quote by Watterboy
Do you have any dilithium crystals or fresh warm dumps for sale
Well, I'm not exactly a pro studio at all, but not once has anyone ever asked me "What kind of computer do you have?" As long as you have something that does the job, doesn't crash, etc., you're good.

I recently upgraded to a brand new system. It is, by far, the most powerful system I have ever had. It is about as modest as they come, by today's standards.
- Intel G3220 CPU (3.0ghz / dual core)
- 8 GB RAM
- Win10
- on-board video (Intel HD graphics)

It was just over $200, and I had to buy a better (quieter) power supply (on sale for about $40).

I'm playing a song back as I type this (so, with my browser open, etc.) with 28 tracks of 24-bit audio at 48khz, all effects and processing and a VST instrument (Drum Mic'a) and my performance is hovering pretty steady at about 30%.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Well...if you want ot eventually go down the road and get customers, it is better to invest in a pre-built system from one of these scepialist shops. All the hardware is tested and I think most come with 2 year warranty. Plus their cases are usually rackmountable so that's always a plus. The prices are not bad at all, maybe you pay about $200 premium but the ease of mind and the looks of the system are worth it IMO. I think they even sell some pre-built systems with the software that you'd want to use, that way you won't have to worry about what will work or not.