Hi, I'm considering learning to play the guitar. I need help choosing one. Please, if you're here to say some terminology, refrain and understand that I am literally just starting off. I do not know any terms, well, some, getting to the point. Expect questions upon questions, I may not understand the mumbo jumbo, but I'll be happy to learn it. I have an acoustic guitar (no, I don't know the brand and whatnot) and I've tried it here and there but have not enjoyed the feel of it. So, I'm going for an electric guitar. I've already learned of the Vox amp, since I prefer hearing noise through headsets and earphones, in time I'll have an actual amp. I've already taken a look to the Ibanez GRX70QA and the Epiphone LP Special II but I don't know which would be best. My budget is 150 and the highest I could go is 200. I know you'll say I should hold out for a more expensive one but I doubt it'll happen anytime soon. The type of music id like to play would be rock, metal, and some other random songs. A guitar for me would be one that could play rough and soft. If there's any other electric guitars you know of, feel free to tell me about it, I will be sure to look at it. Thank you.
Last edited by TheArmoredBat at Jul 20, 2016,
I would avoid the Epiphone LP special II, just a crap guitar. If you really want to get more bang for your buck the best route is to go used. Now since you posted two different guitars ask yourself if you want one with a trem or not. Personally at that price range I avoid guitars with trems since they're usually crap and have trouble staying in tune. I linked some guitars you might want to check out but feel free to look on Reverb.com and Guitar Center's used section for more. Some of these might be over the 200$ limit but you can make offers on them.
https://reverb.com/item/1748473-esp-ltd-h-301-solid-body-electric-guitar-maroon
https://reverb.com/item/1797075-epiphone-sg-g-400-2003-ebony
https://reverb.com/item/2473795-esp-ltd-h-100-blue
ESP E-II Horizon FR
Gibson Flying V HET SET
ESP Eclipse II FM JB/Jazz
ESP M-II Deluxe EMG 81/SA
Marshall JCM2000 DSL/ JCM800 1960a cab
Mesa Mark V 25
ltdguy27

I apologize if I may sound like an idiot, what is a trem? A tremolo? I've heard of it but don't know the exact purpose of it. And I always avoid used stuff in general. Sorry if I sound too picky.
It's all good. Trems are more commonly known as whammy bars. You use it to add vibrato for the most part. Normally at that price range they use very cheap materials and aren't set up very well which can make it frustrating if you're just starting out. Not to mention you can't change tunings easily.
ESP E-II Horizon FR
Gibson Flying V HET SET
Mesa Mark V 25
Last edited by ltdguy27 at Jul 20, 2016,
ltdguy27

So anything with a whammy bar is a no go?
And is the Ibanez good? If there's any other guitars that you may know of, please let me know. One of my aspirations in the future would be to help someone in my position, so all this info is really great.
Ibanez makes excellent guitars but their GIO line isn't one of them IMO. You can tell if it's a GIO if the model name starts with a G like the one you mentioned. For the most part if you get a cheap guitar with a cheap trem you'll have a bad time. Epiphone guitars are good instruments to start with. Some other guitars that'll serve you well are LTD 100 or higher series (no trems), For rock/metal music you want a guitar with humbuckers ( a type of pickup) that's why I'm leaving out Squier strats since at that range they generally come with single coil pickups. When looking at an Epi a good rule of thumb is to see if the back of the neck is a bolt on which as the name says is a bolted on neck, or if it has a set neck(no metal plate). The set neck ones are good solid instruments to start with but will cost a bit more than the bolt on neck ones. Again as i say this buying used is great way to get more for your money.

Moving on to amps. Your amp is about a good 80-90% of your tone.and I saw that you like Vox amps and while those are good a clean tones and some rock ones, they will be lacking when it comes to metal. So as you save up some good versatile amps are the Peavey Vyper seriers and Roland Cube series. These amps are known as modeling amps which means you have multiple amp sounds and effects all in one. As you grow as a player you'll start devoloping an ear for what you like and a good quality tube amp is your goal if you get serious. With that said there's also some good computer software out there but I can't comment much since I have limited experience with those programs.

Forgot to add this. Here's a quick video explaining the parts of an electric guitar. This obviously doesn't apply to all electrics but it's a good guideline.
ESP E-II Horizon FR
Gibson Flying V HET SET
Mesa Mark V 25
ltdguy27

Thanks a lot. I found an Epiphone SG Special it has the metal plate on the back. Would that be any good?
My budget makes my options very limited, I wish it wasn't so narrow.
ESP E-II Horizon FR
Gibson Flying V HET SET
Mesa Mark V 25
ltdguy27
Is a used guitar my only option? And I don't want you to exhaust yourself with all the searches, I will completely understand.
The reason I recommend used is simply because most guitars lose about 40-60% of their value when you buy them new, For example I just bought the Horizon in my sig for 700$ of GC used and that guitar new costs around 1700$ new. At the end of the day it's up to you to decide if you want new vs used, but new your limiting yourself on what you can get quality/spec wise. I would seriously consider that Ibanez ART I linked.
ESP E-II Horizon FR
Gibson Flying V HET SET
Mesa Mark V 25
ltdguy27

I only prefer new because I don't think I'd enjoy seeing scratches and whatnot, plus I have the expectation of it falling apart. Again, sorry if I sound picky. I'd have to give it some time between New and used stuff. Are bolt on necks a bad thing? I've read about the problems with high frets, although I don't know what the purpose of the higher frets are for.
Bolt on necks aren't bad at all. There are guitars well worth over 2000$ with bolt on necks. I assume we're talking about individual high frets and not fret sizes. A high fret on a guitar can cause fret buzz and dead spots on the guitar and has to be leveled. If you mean fret sizes like jumbo and Xjumbo frets that's more a personal preference. Usually when you have bigger frets it's easier to bend and you don't need to press as hard on the strings. GC also has a 30 day return policy on used instruments, you can even save on shipping if you have a GC locally.
ESP E-II Horizon FR
Gibson Flying V HET SET
Mesa Mark V 25
ltdguy27

I'm gonna most likely consider getting a used guitar. As much as I'd prefer to have a slippery clean guitar, I'd rather have a guitar. Thanks for being such a help.
So, a rundown; Ibanez with a G are not good, neither are Epiphone specials. Are ESP guitars good? I noticed its the same as the Ltd.
No problem and good luck with the search! LTD is ESPs budget line just like Gibson's budget line is Epiphone. For starting out LTDs are solid guitars with a wide price range. As long you steer clear of the ones with trems you should have a good solid axe. There's a reason my name is LTDguy27, I started with the lower end 200 series LTDs when I was younger and used them well after I started gigging. Now that my financial situation has improved I can afford the ESPs but I still hold LTDs as good quality axes.

As for guitars not being good just remember those are my opinions based on 16 years of playing and hands on experience with those models. Ultimately I would plan a trip to a guitar store and spend a good amount of time figuring out what guitars work for you.

For Epi I would go for anything above the specials and 100s. For Ibbys that's a bit tougher to narrow down since their line isn't as streamlined and I've played wonderful sub 400$ Ibbys as well as terrible sub 400$ Ibbys. The Ibbys was more on an individual guitar basis.
ESP E-II Horizon FR
Gibson Flying V HET SET
Mesa Mark V 25
That's up to you to decide is you need/like/want that extra string. Note that 7 strings have wider necks and some people (myself included) don't like that.
ESP E-II Horizon FR
Gibson Flying V HET SET
Mesa Mark V 25
I'm finding it difficult to find any available guitars near me. Not sure if they consistently update the GC website. I'm only finding Epiphone Specials, ESP m-10s and EC10s, and Ibanez with Gs. And I am looking through the used ones too, that list is a mix of them.
GC will ship the guitar either to your house or to the store (that's free IRC). Don't forget to look at Reverb.com as well. Be patient at that price range you might have to dig through a ton of bad guitars until you find a hidden gem. GC is pretty good about keeping that site updated. Once an item sells it stops being listed.
ESP E-II Horizon FR
Gibson Flying V HET SET
Mesa Mark V 25
I can't really go the online route. I'd want to test the feel of it before I buy it. I'll also need to look into some books for self teaching. If I have any other questions I'll be sure to post them. But I cannot thank you enough, you've been really helpful.
Here's a site with free lessons that should take you pretty far. http://www.justinguitar.com/
Good luck on the search and feel free to PM me any time with questions or post them in the Electric Guitar part of the forums.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26
ESP E-II Horizon FR
Gibson Flying V HET SET
Mesa Mark V 25
I forgot to ask. If I were to order online, would I be able to return the guitar if I end up not liking it? Would it be through shipping or could I drop it off at a GC?
I would call GC and ask them to be 100% sure. I believe you have a 30 day return policy and I THINK you can return it at any GC but call to be sure.
ESP E-II Horizon FR
Gibson Flying V HET SET
Mesa Mark V 25
PM me. Check your inbox in your profile i just sent you an ESP go by.
ESP E-II Horizon FR
Gibson Flying V HET SET
Mesa Mark V 25
You can get a used guitar in very good condition. Sure there may be a couple of scratches or dings in it. But you will probably end up adding some scratches and dings of your own to that. Plus you can get a MUCH nicer guitar for the same amount or less money then if you went and bought a new one. Do you have any friends who play or know how to set up a guitar? The setup makes a HUGE difference in how much you will enjoy playing it.
TheArmoredBat I started playing guitar in November 2015. My first guitar was a 51 Squier. You can get them very cheap, they are easy to set up, and are great to modify down the track if you feel the need.
I