Looking for a guitar that is a practical purchase. I play a lot of grateful dead and am a huge jerry garcia fan. The phred instruments supposedly got great reviews but the prs seems like a go to instrument to play some good leads on. The band i play in uses a lot of jamming into the sets so i need a good lead tone most of all. Looking mainly at the liger or deadbolt for phred and at the prs se custom 22 hollow body.
PRS is the safer bet between the two. Pricier, but they have a good, long track record.

Phreds look great, but they're a pretty new company. Don't know how good they really are. I've come close to buying one on eBay, but I haven't made the leap- I have other priorities at the moment.

They could be killer, though. I have gambled on a few brands, and so far, so good.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by ethanball888
Looking for a guitar that is a practical purchase. I play a lot of grateful dead and am a huge jerry garcia fan. The phred instruments supposedly got great reviews but the prs seems like a go to instrument to play some good leads on. The band i play in uses a lot of jamming into the sets so i need a good lead tone most of all. Looking mainly at the liger or deadbolt for phred and at the prs se custom 22 hollow body.

Guess I'll have to drive up to Tarzana and check the Phreds out. These aren't even locally known.
ethanball888 I played a PRS SE last week and I was astounded at how abysmal it was - the build quality was terrible ( frets were a mess, sloppy assembly and cheap materials) and I would have chosen a Fender Squier over it in a heartbeat. It may have simply been a lemon, but wow. I'm not a PRS hater,I played a real handmade one from the 80's at a friend's place the other day and it was amazing, but the SE that I tried stood out as junk. It felt cheap, sounded terrible, and felt terrible. The Epiphones and Ibanez in the store smoked it for the price. Be vigilant and don't blindly buy based on brand reputation - be sure to compare.
Last edited by reverb66 at Jul 21, 2016,
Quote by reverb66
ethanball888 I played a PRS SE last week and I was astounded at how abysmal it was - the build quality was terrible ( frets were a mess, sloppy assembly and cheap materials) and I would have chosen a Fender Squier over it in a heatbeat. It may have simply been a lemon, but wow. I'm not a PRS hater,I played a real handmade one from the 80's at a friend's place the other day and it was amazing, but the SE that I tried stood out as junk. It felt cheap, sounded terrible, and felt terrible. The Epiphones and Ibanez in the store smoked it for the price. Be vigilant and don't blindly buy based on brand reputation - be sure to compare.

Apparently not all PRS SE's are made in the Korean plant (these days). I had an SE245 that was well very well made but I sold it because of the radius and smaller neck.
Moving on.....
The normal SE's are made in Korea, while the new SE standards are made in Indonesia I believe.