i have a "jackson d-10", and it has been giving me tuning problems ever since i got it. the nuts are slightly stripped, and the bridge is a "licensed under floyd rose" bridge. I've heard some "licensed floyd rose" bridges are good. the guitar itself is pretty beat up. is the tuning problem (such as not staying in tune) is caused from the guitar being old and beat up, or is the bridge on the guitar is very crappy.

UPDATE: i solved the problem. its the bridge and the nut. i just need a real floyd rose system. i dont know how to delete this thread, so im leaving this thread with this update
Last edited by frank3ns3r at Aug 23, 2016,
this is by far the most confusing thing i've read.

a well set-up floyd rose will stay in tune.
mojostompboxes.com
The Jackson D-10, while not the greatest guitar in the world, isn't a $100 guitar. Used they go for up to $300 reasonably, which means when it was brand new, it probably went for around $400 new which makes it a lower mid level guitar. Not necessarily a piece of crap. The information you provided doesn't give us much to go by. What you are describing could be caused by any number of things. It could be something as simple as tightening down the locking nut, which might cause you to want to look at the tuners, or the bridge itself may very well be a piece of crap. The way Floyd Roses are put together, the answer may be a single screw somewhere on the bridge that is worn, or the setup may not be done correctly. The thing with FR bridges is that if they are not properly set up, you will have a number of problems, especially when it comes to tuning. It might be a good idea to get a good setup done to the guitar. If there is a problem with the bridge, the tech should find it and be able to give you some advice, or they may be able to fix it on the fly if it is something simple. In either case, it is difficult to diagnose the problem or give specific advice based on the information provided.
Gibson Les Paul 60s Tribute
Jackson King V
Peavey Valveking 100
Ampeg VH140C
Boss TU-3 Chromatic Tuner
MXR ZW-44 Overdrive
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Digitech JamMan Solo XT
Peavey Vypyr VIP 1
thanks for the advise from the both of you and i apologize for the confusing thread. I'm new to ultimate guitar. I'm gonna replace the tuning locks, and have a professional tune the guitar for me.
Last edited by frank3ns3r at Jul 21, 2016,
Quote by frank3ns3r
thanks for the advise from the both of you and i apologize for the confusing thread. I'm new to ultimate guitar. I'm gonna replace the tuning locks, and have a professional tune the guitar for me.
When you take it to a tech, ask them if they will show you how to properly do a string change on a Floyd Rose type bridge. Most cool technicians will at least give you a run down on the proper way to balance out the bridge. That part is critical to playing in tune. If it's not done correctly, you can't even bend notes without the bridge moving. Floyd Roses can be tricky if you're not familiar with them, but after some practice, it's a piece of cake. Good luck.
Gibson Les Paul 60s Tribute
Jackson King V
Peavey Valveking 100
Ampeg VH140C
Boss TU-3 Chromatic Tuner
MXR ZW-44 Overdrive
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Digitech JamMan Solo XT
Peavey Vypyr VIP 1
Couple of questions.

1. Is it an actual Floyd or is it a copy?
2. Are you abusing the hell out of the tremolo system?

The reason I ask is because some of the cheaper Floyd copies (LFRs) have issues with tuning stability. The reason for the second question is because I have on occasion handed my OFR-equipped Schecter to people who don't usually use Floyds, they go "oh cool what is this" and proceed to push and pull it to the extremes purely because they can. Then they wonder why it isn't in tune. Yes, ideally they are supposed to stay in tune but even hardtails will gradually go out of tune, so if you are using the trem like a maniac that might be part of the problem.

You shouldn't need a professional to tune the guitar. As long as you understand how tuning works you should be able to do it yourself.

This will probably help: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=614226
Random3 It says Floyd rose on the bridge and I don't abuse the tremolo system. When I learned how to do dive bomb and "squealies" I started using the Floyd rose for that. I've had this problem ever since I got the guitar. That was way before I learned about dive bombs. To be honest I just think the bridge isn't set up properly.
It just sounds like you need to learn to do a proper setup.

Go to a competent professional, ask to watch the process. Keep your mouth shut and your eyes open. Pay them and consider it a lesson fee. Augment with any of several videos to learn how to do it yourself.

From what you've told us, the problem isn't your guitar.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Nolasludge
Most cool technicians will at least give you a run down on the proper way to balance out the bridge. That part is critical to playing in tune. If it's not done correctly, you can't even bend notes without the bridge moving.

a floating floyd will move when you bend strings whether it's set up well or not

it's worth figuring out how to set the thing up but it's always possible your floyd's knife edges are shot. and the less good/cheaper floyds tend not to be so nice anyway.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
is the clamp at the nut working? most of the time if it just goes out then that is the problem. others have mentioned a proper set up and that should solve the issue provided that something hasn't worn out.