I currently have a Fender CD60. Later after having some new strings put on it, I was informed by a guitar tech at the same store from whence it came that the neck was slightly warped (taken from the display), and he put some shims under the bridge to get a better sound. I also asked that he lower the action, assuming this might help me play faster as desired. The lighter strings as well as a lighter pick helped me to get better tones out of it, but I do so love that deep bass! I assumed further that I needed a dread to get a deeper, fuller tone, but had no idea until today that my current guitar IS a dread lol.
Since I love bass tones so much and it seems that they are found a lot in country music, I would consider another guitar w a fuller, deeper bass, especially one that doesn't have a warped neck, with better quality tuning machines. I have found, that at least for me it is better to start out w a better quality guitar, accepting a higher price tag (I paid 275.00 w case for the CD60), so I can grow accustomed to what quality sounds like (salespeople take note!). I might be willing to pay up to 700.00 (incl. tax) for such a guitar. Saw a Seagull Coastline dread S6 slim w cutaway that I like.
What I'd like is
Last edited by pointnplink at Jul 21, 2016,
Quote by pointnplink
I currently have a Fender CD60. Later after having some new strings put on it, I was informed by a guitar tech at the same store from whence it came that the neck was slightly warped (taken from the display), and he put some shims under the bridge to get a better sound. I also asked that he lower the action, assuming this might help me play faster as desired. The lighter strings as well as a lighter pick helped me to get better tones out of it, but I do so love that deep bass! I assumed further that I needed a dread to get a deeper, fuller tone, but had no idea until today that my current guitar IS a dread lol.
Since I love bass tones so much and it seems that they are found a lot in country music, I would consider another guitar w a fuller, deeper bass, especially one that doesn't have a warped neck, with better quality tuning machines.
Well a couple of points. Sometimes that "deep bass" actually is the bass guitar. More importantly, country music is very fond of the Fender, "Twin Reverb". Those, even as a combo amp, have 2 x 12" speakers on board and they push a shitload of air. Under those circumstances, and in combination with a professional sound engineer in the booth, it's hard to make a comparison with the sound you're going to get in the average dry, lifeless, and dull living room with a solo acoustic guitar..

When I'm goofing around, or trying to play along with the stereo, I plug my acoustics in. ATM, I'm using a 1 x 12" combo amp, which restores a lot of bass with is missing from 12 strings, ans even jumbo guitars, if you're not willing to pound the crap out of them with medium strings on.

Quote by pointnplink
I have found, that at least for me it is better to start out w a better quality guitar, accepting a higher price tag (I paid 275.00 w case for the CD60), so I can grow accustomed to what quality sounds like (salespeople take note!). I might be willing to pay up to 700.00 (incl. tax) for such a guitar. Saw a Seagull Coastline dread S6 slim w cutaway that I like.
Well, I wouldn't go for the S-6 "SLIM", unless you specifically want a slender, (width wise), neck. The standard S-6 has a slightly wider neck than the standard 1 11/16" on 90% of acoustics today. It can't hurt, and it might help having a bit of a wider neck on the guitar.

And keep in mind, (at least if you're in the US), you don't really have to deal with guitar salesmen. It's a whole lot cheaper, faster, and more convenient to simply call up one of the big online retailers, and pour your heart, (and credit card information), out to them.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jul 22, 2016,