Hello everybody.
I'm looking for a new pedal to get and there's just so many it's hard to narrow it down
I need something versatile that's going to allow me to play everything from heavy metal to thrash to heavier stuff like Lamb of god, Mastodon and Gojira while playing a Cort vx-2v through a Marshall MG 15cd ( Cheap gear, I'm looking to give it a little kick )
I've tried so far only the MXR 78 badass and the Fullbore Metal, the Fullbore was great but I felt like it's missing the range of sounds I'm looking for.
So please suggest anything you think is going to fit my needs withing a 150$ range.
Thank you in advance.
I had a Metal Muff for years. It's got an optional boost switch on it to drive the distortion to ridiculous amounts of gain, and lots of adjustments for tone and level. May be something to look at, and you can get them for about $80 all day long.
I'm trying to get my hands on a visual sound "Jeckyll and Hyde" pedal right now.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Last edited by ryanbwags at Jul 21, 2016,
I'm going to suggest you don't waste money on pedals until you save up for a better amp. The MXR Fullbore has been one of the worst pedals I've tried and can't recommend it. A Peavey 6505 combo can be had for around 450-500$ if you're in the US. Once you have a tube amp you like the first pedal I would add would be a tubescreamer type pedal/ OD to tighten things up and get a slight boost. Maxon OD808 is my favorite. For less money there's also the Ibanez TS mini which I've been enjoying lately.
ESP E-II Horizon FR
Gibson Flying V HET SET
ESP Eclipse II FM JB/Jazz
ESP M-II Deluxe EMG 81/SA
Marshall JCM2000 DSL/ JCM800 1960a cab
Mesa Mark V 25
Last edited by ltdguy27 at Jul 21, 2016,
^^ Also good advice. Didn't realize you were using a Marshall MG15.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Why not fix the real problem that is the amp that you're using?

Getting a new amp is an investment that you'll get far greater returns on than purchasing a Fullbore Metal. That thing is a joke marketed towards 14 year olds that do not know any better. Unless you deliberately want to sound like shit, (i.e. old school black metal) then stay well clear.

If you want a wider range of metal tones cheaply, Peavey Vypyrs are your best option in terms of modeling amps.

If you want tube, used 6505+112, Jet City's offerings etc.

It might not be the advice you asked for, but that is honestly what most people here will do in your situation.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jul 21, 2016,
While I agree the $150 will be better invested towards a new amp, the Wampler Triple Wreck may do what you're looking for used under $200. No hands on experience with it though, always get my gain from the amp. . .
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
First of all thanks for the advice, the thing is I'm a soldier and I'm home twice a month (good case scenario) and that also means I'm kind of short on money.
considering that, would you guys suggest I just give up on a pedal and wait until I finish my service? (8 monthes)
Save your cash. 8 months may seem like an eternity, but you'll be suprisd at what you can afford by the time you get out, Plus, your options won't have that constraint.

If you REALLY want to play RIGHT NOW, spend a little money and get something like a Line 6 POD, Korg Pandora or Boss Micro BR and a decent pair of headphones. That way, you'll be playing more often than just twice a month.- assuming you can take your guitar with you, of course.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jul 23, 2016,
How much is an Orange Micro Dark where you are? That shouldn't be a whole lot more than $150, and I believe that you can run it without a cab, with cabinet simulation on the headphone output. So then you could save up for a nice 2x12 cabinet to crank when you've got more time to spend with it?
Best I could find is a 200$ Micro Terror.
Do you guys think investing in it for the long run and waiting on a new effect purchase is a better idea?
Correct me if I'm wrong I thought the idea of a pedal is to give your sound a good kick even if you're running low end equipment
I agree with waiting til you get out. I was in the same situation (Navy) and simply waited til I got out to build up my gear. Pedals should compliment your amp and while some of them can help you further shape your sound, they won't turn your Marshall MG into a metal machine no matter how many pedals you add to it.
ESP E-II Horizon FR
Gibson Flying V HET SET
Mesa Mark V 25
Last edited by ltdguy27 at Jul 21, 2016,
There is zero point in buying a $150 pedal to run through a $100 amp. It might sound slightly better, but not $150 better.

What you should do as others have suggested is buy a half decent amp (for example the 6505 combo). If you go used this will not cost a lot. The 6505 combo on it's own will sound INFINITELY better than the MG15 even if you had every pedal in the world going into the MG15.

Some pedals can be used to "give your sound a good kick" like the classic Tube Screamer in front of the 6505 which tightens up the tone and just flat out sounds better for metal, but if the amp you are using isn't already 90% there then pedals aren't going to do much.

My advice is forget pedals for now, and get an amp that sounds good to you.
So next question is the Orange amp truly worth it?
A short internet search shows it's a quite a beast, but if I'm getting an amp again it should be something for the long run, will the Orange do the job?
In general, Orange is a good option for metal, especially stoner/doom/old school stuff. Can't think of anyone doing thrash through an Orange, though.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Save your money. Running anything extra through that MG will be a waste of your money. I suggest just learning how to use the MG to the best of your ability. It should have enough gain on the distortion channel to quench your thirst for a while.

After you get home, I do not think you need to get exactly a 6505. The Peavey Vypyr Tube 60 is often suggested for cheap and reasonable sounding metal tones. The Micro Dark is a good option as well from what I see.
Dude47 http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MicroDark Has it for $189.00. There's a Peavey 6505 Piranha, but I don't know much about them.

A pedal can only do so much, unfortunately, and if you buy a pedal that works well with your amp, it may not be such a good fit for the amp you get in the future. Like metalmingee, I get all of my dirt (except for fuzz) from my amp; I used to have a Boss Blues Driver that was great with my Squier Strat into a 15W Fender practice amp, but once I got my Mesa, I didn't have any use for the Blues Driver.

Something like the TC Electronic Dark Matter Distortion may be versatile enough that you would still use it in years to come, from what I've heard they're pretty good value (they're just over £40 over here). A Boss DS-1 is about the same price, and I know people that swear by them, but I would probably pick the Dark Matter just because it seems really versatile, which will probably be better for you.

The Tube Screamer is incredibly popular, Itdguy27 mentioned the TS Mini, and I saw this comparison of it with a modded TS-808 (just after 12mins):

This video has a few different tones from the Micro Dark:
Last edited by luke.g.henderso at Jul 21, 2016,
Thank you all for the amazing help, you've all been extremely helpful! (and also saved me a considerable amount of much needed money)
If I'll have more questions I know this is the right place to get back to
I use an Orange for all kinds of metal. With an overdrive to tighten it, it kills. Though Orange has its own sound, different from Marshall or Peavey and such, it's not everyone's choice of tone, so when you get the chance do try before you buy. Their tiny and micro terror amps push a lot of air for their size.
I would agree with the general consensus that you don't want to spend big money on a pedal that really isn't going to be worthwhile investment in the long run and also probably not help with the current gear you have, although I would suggest a middle ground perhaps.

The digitech metalmaster pedal - its a metal pedal obviously, but can be had for quite cheap on the used market about $40. The reasons I recommend this pedal

1 - its cheap, its a cheap short term solution to your problem since you plan on upgrading eventually

2 - The gain knob doesn't just add more or less gain but also alters the 'taste' of the gain and will do nice thrash to death metal

3 - The sound is decent for what it is, its not rivaling a mesa or 6505 but I at least found it much more pleasing than a metal zone

4 - It has a cabinet simulated output on the pedal, meaning you can plug headphones directly into the pedal using that output and it won't sound like complete fizzy garbage - I found in the past that using the cab emulated out also sounded better with small crappy amps as opposed to just running the regular amp out into them - which would help given your current mg amp.

best of luck on your gear hunt.
So basically getting and Orange micro dark/terror and then saving up for a nice versatile metal pedal to complement it is going to suit my needs?
Quote by dannyalcatraz
In general, Orange is a good option for metal, especially stoner/doom/old school stuff. Can't think of anyone doing thrash through an Orange, though.
Andreas Kisser from Sepultura is using Orange, now.
Gibson Les Paul 60s Tribute
Jackson King V
Peavey Valveking 100
Ampeg VH140C
Boss TU-3 Chromatic Tuner
MXR ZW-44 Overdrive
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Digitech JamMan Solo XT
Peavey Vypyr VIP 1
Quote by Dude47
So basically getting and Orange micro dark/terror and then saving up for a nice versatile metal pedal to complement it is going to suit my needs?

It sounds like you are misunderstanding the purpose of pedals.

If the amp you buy can give you a nice crunchy metal tone that you like then you don't need a "metal pedal" at all.

As far as these kinds of pedals go, you have overdrive pedals and distortion pedals. Overdrive pedals basically drive the guitar signal into the amp harder, and therefore can make it sound beefier/crunchier/tighter or whatever. What I mentioned before about putting a Tube Screamer in front of the amp is an example of this. A distortion pedal basically just adds fizz and distortion to a clean signal. If you have an amp that already sounds distorted and basically has the tone you want, there is no reason to get a distortion pedal unless the pedal distortion sounds better than the amp distortion, which generally means the amp sucks.

I would suggest reading this: https://guitargear.org/2009/11/05/overdrive-vs-distortion/
Quote by Random3
It sounds like you are misunderstanding the purpose of pedals.

If the amp you buy can give you a nice crunchy metal tone that you like then you don't need a "metal pedal" at all.

As far as these kinds of pedals go, you have overdrive pedals and distortion pedals. Overdrive pedals basically drive the guitar signal into the amp harder, and therefore can make it sound beefier/crunchier/tighter or whatever. What I mentioned before about putting a Tube Screamer in front of the amp is an example of this. A distortion pedal basically just adds fizz and distortion to a clean signal. If you have an amp that already sounds distorted and basically has the tone you want, there is no reason to get a distortion pedal unless the pedal distortion sounds better than the amp distortion, which generally means the amp sucks.

I would suggest reading this: https://guitargear.org/2009/11/05/overdrive-vs-distortion/
I totally agree here. Putting pedals on a shitty amp is like putting A-1 on a shitty steak. It helps, but it still sucks. Putting a distortion pedal on a killer amp is a lot like putting A-1 on a great steak. You're just defeating the purpose. However an overdrive can add a little flavor to a killer amp while still maintaining the characteristics of the amp, kind of adding a little salt and pepper to an awesome steak. Hopefully that analogy helps illustrate what I'm saying.

The market is overrun with really shitty distortion pedals, so it is actually easier to find an amp with a really good gain channel, and then add a Tube Screamer or some other decent overdrive rather than finding a distortion pedal that will actually sound good without a painful amount of trial and error.
Gibson Les Paul 60s Tribute
Jackson King V
Peavey Valveking 100
Ampeg VH140C
Boss TU-3 Chromatic Tuner
MXR ZW-44 Overdrive
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Digitech JamMan Solo XT
Peavey Vypyr VIP 1
You could find a used Peavey Vypyr 30 combo for less than $150 which would sound infinitely better than any distortion pedal through that MG. No need for any pedals with that amp either -- it's got all sorts of different tones and effects on tap. The 6505 mode and Rectifier mode sound pretty spot-on to the amps it models considering the cost of the amp. And it also has a headphone jack for night/silent playing. I had one for a while but ultimately I sold it because I have a real 6505 that I can play at any volume I want pretty much whenever -- and it obviously still sounds better yet.

But I also did the MG + Metalzone thing years ago. It's an era in my life I'd just as soon forget...
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
After looking around on the internet at amps that fit my budget, I'm not so sure the difference I'm gonna feel from my Marshall is significant enough for the money I'm spending, but after all I am relying on Youtube videos.
What do you guys say
^^^I say your ears are misleading you. The Marshall MG 15 is one of the most gawd-awful amps ever made (no offense). It would be challenging to find an amp that sounds worse. Again, look into a used Peavey Vypyr 30. Should be able to find one for $100-150. They have a 12" speaker, are plenty loud, and the models of high-gain amps sound very, very good for the money. No pedal is going to magically make your MG sound nearly as good, regardless of cost.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Thanks for the advice I'll try and play them myself, can anybody give an opinion about the Line 6 spider 30?
I can afford a new one
Line 6 spiders are crap. Peavey Vypyrs are much better.
ESP E-II Horizon FR
Gibson Flying V HET SET
Mesa Mark V 25
The MG with Fullbore is actually quite popular in my neck of the woods...you wouoldn't believe it but I recorded several musicians with that setup and they all thought they had wonderful tone even after running their guitar through a gourgeous tube amp at all the right settings, they still preferred the buzz/grind of those things...horses for courses, I guess

OP - if we're still talking distortion pedals, Emma Pysdiawot (sp?) or Warmpler Triple Wreck should do the trick, but it might be best to get something like a Marshall DSL 40C or 5C (depending on volume needs) and an overdrive in front. Any tubescreamer will do.
Well after reading around I guess I will have to try and decide between the peavy and the orange micro terror/dark, any opinions?
Taking my guitar with me to base is too much of a drag so that is not something to consider, also I've seen the Blackstar fly which seems pretty cool.
Last edited by Dude47 at Jul 23, 2016,
Personally I am an Orange guy. But the 6505 will probably more up your alley for metal tones.
The Orange dark terrors can on do metal, but they still sound like an Orange amp, which some don't like.

If you like Slipknot, Jim Root uses Orange amps. I believe he even has a signature Terror amp. Or at least the cab.
Last edited by Liaztraht at Jul 23, 2016,
So considering the fact I need something versatile you're saying the peavy is the right way to go?
A standard 6505 or 5150 seems to be the go to amp for metal. Cleans are not great on them, but if metal is all you need they work wonders. Never tried the mini head so I can't comment too much on them.
Last edited by Liaztraht at Jul 23, 2016,
The amp should always be the base of your tone; everything else should add to that, even guitars. Check out rig diagrams online or in magazines (if they still have them?), or youtube videos like on the Premier Guitar channel. I can't think of anyone that really goes for a cheap, crappy amp, and no matter how many guitars they take on tour, or how many pedals they have on their board, they will only be using one or two amps.

I remember seeing loads of rigs from the '90s and '00s where guys would have their high-gain head of choice for their 'drive and distortion channels, and then a Vox AC30 or a Roland JC120 for their clean sounds. This tells me that their Mesa/ Randall/ Peavey/ Diezel/ etc. amps were providing a much better heavy tone than any pedals they could run into their clean amp.

Pedals are definitely to refine your amp's tone. Don't build an expensive extension on a rickety shack ;-)
So after a few days of digging around (I'll be home in a week so everything is still relying on internet information)
With help from a friend I'll be able to have an epiphone sg to stay at base with me so I'll have a guitar there and I'm facing two options.
1)Getting the micro terror and carrying it around and enjoying it both at home and base
2)Getting the Peavy to stay at home and buying a Vox amplug for the epiphone.
What is your opinion? And do you have other lines of action I should consider?
I was thinking about the Terrors. I have a 15 8" amp with pedal that I used headphones with. The headphone out is acceptable at best, and while comparing the micro series, vypyr, other modeling amps, the Line6 pOD, Korg Pandora line, and other PortableDigitalModeling devices, I have settled on the Amplug. No cords, no power sources, and just as good without any of the complexity. I don't need 1000 features, just want to plug in and play.

If playing out loud, I would have gone with the micro series and a larger speaker, not a 1x8
I have about 6 days at home each month so the setup I'm gonna have at base is going to be my main one for the next 8 monthes.
Does the amplug sound goos enough to settle for it as my main setup?
Quote by Dude47
I have about 6 days at home each month so the setup I'm gonna have at base is going to be my main one for the next 8 monthes.
Does the amplug sound goos enough to settle for it as my main setup?

With that kind of ratio, I'd buy decent headphones & a portable digital modeler- Line 6 POD, PX4 or Px5 Pandora from Korg, Boss Micro BR, Tascam's GT series, etc., and make do until I had a more stable living situation,*

Each has features like a tuner, metronome, and a bunch of amp & pedal sims, as well as some kind of recording or computer interface, all in a self-contained, battery (or DC) operated box that will fit in a gig bag or HSC. Unlike devices like the Amplug or Android/iOS apps, there is no requirment of using and lugging around another piece of equipment to play.

* in fact, this is exactly what I did. I used a Korg Px4 for 3 years before I bought an amp. And I still use it and other PDMs to this day as a major part of my practice regimen, even though I have a decent amp and a metric ton of pedals.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jul 28, 2016,
With that price range I can just go for the Orange and than add a cab to it wheb I do enter a more stable lifestyln
You think the Vox wont do the trick?