I have an acoustic-electric guitar that recently took a fall from the wall hanger on my wall all the way to the floor (carpeted floor, thankfully). Upon inspection I didn't see any physical damage, but when I plugged it in, of course with my luck, the electronics were no longer working. I called Guitar Center to see if they could give me an idea as to how much it would be to fix the electronics and of course they wouldn't give me an estimate, they said just bring it in. I don't really feel like driving 40 minutes to the nearest Guitar Center just to get an estimate, and that is the closest guitar shop to me, so I was wondering if anyone on here could give me a ballpark estimate as to how much it would cost to fix the electronics? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
there's no way as you could need an entire new preamp or just a jack. a wire could be broken or... is this a battery op unit? if so, did you check to make sure the battery didn't come loose?
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
can buy the preamps ect off ebay. not hard to install either.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
It is a battery operated unit. The electronics didn't work with the battery that was in it so I put in a fresh battery and still nothing. I've never worked on an acoustic-electric before so I wouldn't exactly feel comfortable working on it myself
Quote by derekmichael
It is a battery operated unit. The electronics didn't work with the battery that was in it so I put in a fresh battery and still nothing. I've never worked on an acoustic-electric before so I wouldn't exactly feel comfortable working on it myself

If that's so you need to take it to a tech.
Seems very likely that a wire has popped off either the endpin jack or the electronics box itself. These are all solid-state devices and there's really not much to "break".
Problem is, it's damnably hard to see what might be wrong without the proper inspection mirrors and such. In one of mine, the wiring is all routed along the kerfing on one side and it's very difficult to see anything.
You could try testing the continuity of the endpin jack if you have a multimeter... But that won't tell you where the break is.
I forgot to mention that it was only a $300 guitar when I bought it new, and the price has dropped considerably since then (I've seen them selling recently for as low as $200 new). That's why I'm trying to at least get a ballpark estimate of how much it would be to fix it because I am wondering if it's even worth it to get it fixed or if I should just sell it/trade it in
You can get a small mirror and flashlight, and root around inside with that. You'd would have to take the strings off, obviously.

Using those tactics, you should be able to fund a loose wire or something. It seems unlikely you generated enough G-force to destroy the preamp circuit board, but I imagine it's possible.

Assuming you have a soldering iron and a small hand tool collection, a broken wire, along with restringing the guitar should amount to certainly not more than an evening's work, at most.

It's unlikely replacing the stock preamp, along with having a shop install itwould be cost effective. Parts are always overpriced, and something which hasn't been considered is that the Under saddle piezo could be broken, if the guitar took a shot on the bridge. Possible, but yet, still not terribly common.

Assuming the worst, you can always get a sound hole magnetic pickup and install that. Unless you're going to be using long cable runs, a preamp isn't necessary. You need to buy the humbucking type, which run in the neighborhood of 50 to 60 dollars. So, there's a worst come to worst estimate of how much it would cost to fix your guitar, doing the work yourself.

As a rough, absolute worst case guesstimate, (uneducated at that), judging by the price of separate preamp and piezos @ retail, if both parts were broken, (very unlikely), you would be looking at a $200.00 repair bill.

You might be ready for a new guitar though, and this incident might be enough to inspire you to go shopping with that in mind.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jul 22, 2016,