I have what I believe is an '81 Ibanez Destroyer II (MIJ) that shorts in and out when I move the guitar around. It's been in a case for years without me doing anything with it, but I want to get it fixed back up and playable with no issues. The pickups themselves are working fine and sound good - not sure what they are but I am guessing Dimarzio's. Anyways, I am thinking about getting it fixed up and am just curious how long it takes to fix up the pots and input jacks. Thanks guys.
Actual time? An hour or two, depending on how much is wrong with the wiring. Just swapping out the pots and input jack should take about an hour, but it sounds like it may need more work. There's more than just the pots and jack to consider, so if it turns out it needs a full rewiring then it will take longer - especially if your tech starts out by just replacing the pots and switch, and the problem persists.

Note that actual time does not count for much at a guitar shop. If the tech only comes in to pick up repair jobs on Tuesdays and you show up Wednesday, and he's busy, that one hour job could easily take two weeks to get back to you. If he's got a bench in the back of the shop and nothing to work on that afternoon, he might do it while you wait.

Just take it to a tech. They'll be able to give you an estimate, we can't know what their workload and pace are like.
Quote by Roc8995
Actual time? An hour or two, depending on how much is wrong with the wiring. Just swapping out the pots and input jack should take about an hour, but it sounds like it may need more work. There's more than just the pots and jack to consider, so if it turns out it needs a full rewiring then it will take longer - especially if your tech starts out by just replacing the pots and switch, and the problem persists.

Note that actual time does not count for much at a guitar shop. If the tech only comes in to pick up repair jobs on Tuesdays and you show up Wednesday, and he's busy, that one hour job could easily take two weeks to get back to you. If he's got a bench in the back of the shop and nothing to work on that afternoon, he might do it while you wait.

Just take it to a tech. They'll be able to give you an estimate, we can't know what their workload and pace are like.

Thanks. I was mostly just curious about actual time. My tech has always been very fast at getting stuff done for me. I was just curious what the actual "hands on time" would be and you answered it. Thanks a bunch!
I fixed it! Bought some electrical contact cleaner and sprayed all the switches and pots and input jack. Everything working perfect now! Must have just been some dirt and dust in there causing issues. Now it just needs a change of strings, a fret Polish, and oil the fretboard and it'll be ready to rock. Love this thing!

After doing some research, I found out it was made in October 1981 at the Terada Plant in Japan. The original color was Regal Blue, but somewhere along the line it was painted this pearlescent white it is now. In light it gets a bluish or pinkish tint. I really like it, the painter did a great job.
Last edited by Dinglebuttz at Jul 23, 2016,
^ nice
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Before you do anything, buy a can of Deoxit and spray it into the pots, then rotate the knob stop to stop like 10-20 times. That should clean it out. Do it for each. The Deoxit is like $15-18. Worth every penny.

Don't change anything if it isn't truly broken.
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
06 Ovation Elite-T || 12 Martin GPCPA4
Boss GT100 || Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 || Peavey Bandit 75 || Roland JC77
Quote by Auriemma
Before you do anything, buy a can of Deoxit and spray it into the pots, then rotate the knob stop to stop like 10-20 times. That should clean it out. Do it for each. The Deoxit is like $15-18. Worth every penny.

Don't change anything if it isn't truly broken.
See post #4; he already did. But yeah, contact cleaner is a strong contender for the most useful guitar repair tool.

Nice piece of kit, OP
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Jul 27, 2016,
Wow.. Need to get my old eyes checked again. Don't know how I missed that.
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
06 Ovation Elite-T || 12 Martin GPCPA4
Boss GT100 || Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 || Peavey Bandit 75 || Roland JC77