Hi, I am completely self-taught, now five months into playing - I am 41 and it seems that middle age crisis starts to creep in, so I decided to hit the axe and try to play some blues.
Any comments as to where I stand after 5 months? My desire is to play the blues.

(Note concerning the recording: video and audio were recorded separately. I am very camera shy, so I had to do it that way, mostly in order to review the posture and the sound on one video)

Last edited by nenadkostic1975 at Jul 23, 2016,
Sounds pretty good. There are no dead notes and it sounds rhythmically accurate.

Your guitar is a bit out of tune. Well, I guess that adds some authentic blues sound to it.

(I also liked how it was an actual song and not just aimless noodling over the 12 bar blues progression. Because when I hear beginner and blues in the same sentence, aimless noodling is what I expect to hear.)
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Yeah, this Bullet Strat has some tuning issues, stays in tune for about 10 minutes or so and then all goes south.

Thank you for your feedback
For five months, that's impressive. Suggest you start investigating use of vibrato, and slight bends next ... e.g. against the E chord, try fretting the 3rd fret, treble string. listen to that. Then try the 4th fret (which is a pitch found in the E chord, whereas the pitch made at the 3rd fret isn't). Then try bending the 3rd fret slightly, so the pitch doesn't quite reach as high as the sound of the 4th fret ... it's quite subtle. But whatever you do, don't fall into the very common beginner's trap of then trying to slightly bend the note that matches the chord root (e.g. don't try slightly bending an E, against an E chord ... that is the biggest no-no).
Last edited by jerrykramskoy at Jul 23, 2016,
Thanks for your advice on bends, I am kinda starting to learn them, still not there yet but I am getting the novice grasp of (kinda).
Heres what I am talking about, I have made this about month ago.
Thank you all for your time, I am still pretty solitary in all of this and in dire need of veterans` advice.

In this video you have an added value in form of a slightly obese cat.

Last edited by nenadkostic1975 at Jul 23, 2016,
nenadkostic1975
Two things that will help you.

1) Around 0.47, you are using a slight bend on the treble E (!2th fret). The pitch a semitone higher (F) is the b5 of the blues in B you're playing. When bending to b5, it's usually more effective to hit the b5 accurately with the bend, or at least get pretty close to it (i.e. nearer the b5 pitch than the pitch you'start the bending with).

2) When you use vibrato, back up the finger adding the vibrato with at least the adjacent finger ... so, if you use your 3rd finger to fret the note having vibrato added, then bring the 2nd finger (either on the fret behind, or starting to intrude on the same fret as your 3rd finger). Also, and here come's the tricker bit, for really good vibrato, those fingers aren't actually responsible for moving the string ... they are usually locked, and the motion can come from stronger muscles, typically rotation of the forearm, and hence wrist.

... or you can use the "blues shake" ... here imagine you're doing an arm curl so your hand approaches your face, and drops away, but repeating very rapidly This is a hugely exaggerated version of the motion applied ... but it's your hand movement parallel to the line of the frets, that creates the vibrato, with the fingers locked dragging the string along and back.

For an in-depth look at this, check out this video from my great friend, Shaun Baxter, an unbelievably good guitarist. I studied with Shaun for many years.

http://www.ambaedu.com/shaun-baxter-guitar-techniques/

And http://www.ambaedu.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/AMBA_Guitar_Lesson.pdf (accompanies video)

Are you UK based?
Last edited by jerrykramskoy at Jul 23, 2016,
These advice are priceless! Getting to it as soon as lead guitar kicks back into my daily practice routine (most probably even today).

No, I am from Serbia. Greetings from.
Keep practicing. Blues is the easiest to learn. But, I believe it's the hardest to master. This definitely pleases me. It is never too late to learn gutar, you are a shining examle of that
I do video lessons for free and would love to correspond if you wish

Ive been playing 14 yrs in September
For five months that's really good man, tuning issues can be a nightmare , maybe invest in a way better guitar
Thats great keep playing u will get better ur better then me