Page 1 of 2
I've been a metalcore fan for about 4 years. Before that I was in the Metallica "big four" phase that most beginner guitarists start in.
I got into Slipknot which I guess is kind of a middle step between the 2 genres, than BFMV after my brother showed me a song by them.
Since then I've been into bands like Memphis May Fire, old Of Mice and Men, Chelsea Grin, etc.
But only in the passed month, I've been regularly hearing the term "core fag". I never really thought of core genres to be looked at this
way since they're extremely popular. But that's kind of what got me thinking that it's probably the mainstream success that turns people
away. We all know how a lot of metal fans are - Once a band releases many music videos that get millions of views, they start to hate them.
So yea, why are core genres hated on so much?
Quote by Frankieanime78
But only in the passed month, I've been regularly hearing the term "core fag".
It's an elitist thing, ignore it.
There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Because it isn't trve its not br00tz its for pussys.

Yeah serious answer, I guess some people don't like the pop music tendencies of some of those bands. Like classic metal is almost the anti-pop, and you could really describe a lot of modern metalcore as pop-metal or pop-core. A lot of it is basically pop music but with screaming and distorted guitars. Personally I like some of it a lot, and I dislike some of it a lot as well.
speaking of core metal bands, i'm seeing ERRA live today
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Quote by Random3
Because it isn't trve its not br00tz its for pussys.

Yeah serious answer, I guess some people don't like the pop music tendencies of some of those bands. Like classic metal is almost the anti-pop, and you could really describe a lot of modern metalcore as pop-metal or pop-core. A lot of it is basically pop music but with screaming and distorted guitars. Personally I like some of it a lot, and I dislike some of it a lot as well.
Yea I hear ya on that. Instrumentally, I'm not a fan. I don't enjoy playing 0 000 00000 0 0 00 1 00 garbage through a 4 minute song. 90% of Metalcore I'd never play on guitar, other than bands like KSE and BFMV since they're very guitar driven, making the songs fun to play.
Regardless though, it's a shame it's so hated on. Even though it's poppyish by nature, it's really great to see any metal at all getting such worldwide success.
k.lainad Eh that's awesome [: How many (and what) bands have you caught live?
A mix of elitism, the cheese of just blending a few genres together, and a tendency to stagnate and become token through exposure to mainstream investment.

Not saying that things becoming popular is a bad thing; merely that 95% of the time, it leads to anything interesting about something getting shaven off to make it more accommodating. Unfortunately the genuinely good stuff gets caught up and picked on by elitists just the same.
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
Last edited by Banjocal at Jul 23, 2016,
Because it's easily the most derivative and artless subgenre that calls itself metal.

Everything else around it is significantly more interesting. For example, progressive metalcore/mathcore is leagues beyond in terms of skill, songwriting and intrigue than MMF, OMAM etc

o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Last edited by EpiExplorer at Jul 23, 2016,
Quote by Frankieanime78
k.lainad Eh that's awesome [: How many (and what) bands have you caught live?

the faceless
cannibal corpse
behemoth
deftones
tool
tooth grinder
bullet for my valentine
com truise and rone
blink 182
all american rejects
aeon
periphery
rings of saturn
buckethead (that was amazing)
architects
chon
chevelle
after the burial
nile

a few other popular bands not ringing a bell, and some lesser known names that are gonna get big soon
mostly metal and rock bands, a few electronic artists here and there
i need to go to more festivals

edit: asking Alexandria, how could i forget lol
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Last edited by k.lainad at Jul 23, 2016,
Because metalcore is bland and watered down with sterile, squeaky-clean production, predictable breakdowns, whiny vocals, cheesy pop influenced choruses, less interesting lyrics, less complex instrumentation than technical metal subgenres, etc.

Basically think of metalcore as being like Buffalo Wild Wings compared to your local dive bar. It has a cheesy, artificial atmosphere and is inferior to your local bar's food and beer selection but more "accessible" for people that don't want to go to a dive bar.

Also metal fans don't look down on bands for being popular. It just so happens that bands with less metal influence (watered down with bland, streamlined production and cheesy choruses and with less extreme subject matter) tend to be more accessible and so as a result bands that aren't as good tend to get popularl.

It's the same as how there are more and more chain restaurants that are offering "ghost pepper" items on their menu. Have you actually tried the ghost pepper burgers at like Wendy's or wherever? The amount of ghost pepper in the sauce is negligible and you end up with a sauce that isn't spicy but is more of a gimmicky marketing ploy. If you were to actually have a legitimate ghost pepper sauce on a burger at Wendy's, it would be too spicy to sell since ghost pepper is not accessible to the general public.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Last edited by theogonia777 at Jul 23, 2016,
Quote by EpiExplorer
Because it's easily the most derivative and artless subgenre that calls itself metal.

Everything else around it is significantly more interesting. For example, progressive metalcore/mathcore is leagues beyond in terms of skill, songwriting and intrigue than MMF, OMAM etc

this is pretty much the only metal I even like tbh. These bands along with BTBAM and Converge is about it

I dont really listen too much anymore though
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Jul 23, 2016,
It's mostly a music made by pussies who try to come off as tough guys.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Last edited by Jack Off Jill at Jul 23, 2016,
Some metalcore bands can write genuinely interesting music, it's just most seem to jump on that bandwagon sound and image. I also tend to associate the genre with whiny teenage boys who think the world is against them or doesn't understand them - I know I shouldn't, I just can't help it... and it's ruins the music for me. Also, thematically and lyrically, it's generally unoriginal and non-thought-provoking.
Last edited by Joeseye at Jul 23, 2016,
Quote by theogonia777
Also metal fans don't look down on bands for being popular.
this is simply not true
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

if you are that you do then what's that make me?
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by K33nbl4d3
this is simply not true

sure it is
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
this is simply not true

Black Sabbath? Fuck em, garbage. Too popular.

don't be stupid.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by K33nbl4d3
this is simply not true
i cant speak for metal bands but it happens a lot in punk.

like i once had some kid tell me Operation Ivy were sellouts.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
It does happen in metal but I can't say if it happens more or less than with other genres.

I mean look at the hate Metallica received after Load. Look at Machine Head after The Burning Red. Look at Bullet For My Valentine after Scream Aim Fire. Look at Trivium after Shogun.

I would argue that Bullet's music has got progressively worse, and everything Trivium did after Shogun has also got progressively worse as it became more "accessible" sounding. Whether they actually sold more albums I have no idea.
Last edited by Random3 at Jul 23, 2016,
I remember metallica getting hate for doing a music video for One.

Real metal didn't do MTV fodder back then
(MTV used to play music videos kids)
Last edited by EyeNon15 at Jul 23, 2016,
Quote by severed-metal
Black Sabbath? Fuck em, garbage. Too popular.

don't be stupid.
black sabbath is popular among middle aged people, for metal kids they went back to being edgy and alternative when their average listener reached 40
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
Quote by Random3
It does happen in metal but I can't say if it happens more or less than with other genres.

I mean look at the hate Metallica received after Load. Look at Machine Head after The Burning Red. Look at Bullet For My Valentine after Scream Aim Fire. Look at Trivium after Shogun.

I would argue that Bullet's music has got progressively worse, and everything Trivium did after Shogun has also got progressively worse as it became more "accessible" sounding. Whether they actually sold more albums I have no idea.

People that are into metal still respect Metallica as innovators and people still like their good albums (Kill 'em All and Ride the Lightning). People don't like their more recent stuff because it wasn't good. Load is... it's a very self aware title. Even Master and Justice were not really great albums. Metallica tried to get too noodly and complex for their own good and those two albums are inferior to the first two. Go be fair starting with their self titled they became a modern hard rock band putting out a mediocre hard rock album and they put out gradually lower quality hard rock albums before Death Magnetic, which was just a mess.

The first two albums were good and then they just happened to get worse as a band as they began to get popular. And the only reason why they really got popular in the 90s is because they started playing music that was more accessible.

As far as the other bands, they were never good anyway even before they were popular. It goes back to what I said about more watered down or simplified music being more commercially accessible and therefore has a chance to get popular. It's like when At the Gates put out Slaughter of the Soul. They put out a really hooky album with less complex songs with verse-chorus stuff. They ended up with a mediocre and repetitive album, but it was less abrasive than their earlier material and therefore was more accessible and that allowed it to get popular.
I would have argued that they went downhill after the Black Album, but either way I agree with your point. They alienated a large amount of their core audience when they over-simplified their music. However they were such a huge band that it didn't really affect their success. People will still say they like the band, buy the albums and go to the gigs because it's Metallica. They are massive, who cares if a couple of their albums are duds.

My examples with Machine Head, Trivium, and Bullet were that their music took a turn in the direction of accessibility which alienated their fans. With Trivium and Bullet it was towards arena rock and with Machine Head it was towards nu-metal. They may have gained more fans as a result of their turn but their core audience generally views these as turns for the worse.

Whether this is hipster bullshit "everyone likes them now so I can't listen to these sellouts anymore" or "this band's music has become oversimplified to the point of being pandering crap" I can't really say.
it's not looked down upon, go out and look what most of todays young and not so young "metalheads" listen to

i say it's all bullshit, there are good bands and shitty bands, not genres

i do find that most metalcore and deathcore bands don't really speak to me and i fail to understand why so many people listen to them, but i've also found good metalcore music that i like, so i can't really say all metalcore is bad

just enjoy the bands you like and ignore the rest
In my opinion and due to what I've witnessed since the MySpace era, it's not elitism; elitism looks down pretty much on everything.
I think it's the fanboys fault. I know a few bands that are metalcore or deathcore or whatevercore and are very decent and I like them but the countereffect is that even though we're about 10 years past the emo/screamo/myspacewhore era, a bunch of kids try to suck on everything with the word 'core' in it. You know, makeup on, pitch black hair with neon color strains. I guess they're not all across the globe but I've noticed groups of such shitty posers still calling themselves 'hardcore' and pretending to love any 'core' genre.
Last edited by Rosenkratz at Jul 23, 2016,
Every trailer park kid in the 80s had a metallica t-shirt.
It's was like being in a white trash illuminati
Their shit wasn't on the radio or mtv.
The cool kid lunchtable had no clue what it was.
You had to actually physically travel somewhere to get the album or record it from somebody's cassette tape.

It sucked seeing jocks and bros in 92 claim they found this cool "new" band.
Last edited by EyeNon15 at Jul 23, 2016,
-core is overall the most tolerable version of metal because the bands typically know how to write a good song and have successfully incorporated metal elements into a pop song structure so it's the best of the two genres really anywhere here's atreyu

i dont know why anyone would listen to gross metal when you could listen to metalcore with catchy choruses and digestible song structure

Because that's like asking for a malibu and coke at a Munich beer hall, lyle.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Page 1 of 2