I do all my own set-up stuff and have never been stumped like this. Problem: Low E and to a slightly lesser extent, the 5th string buzz (other strings are fine). There's no buzz played open, a little bit of buzz on the low frets, and by the time I get to 7 through 15, it's just a bee hive.

-There's plenty of relief in the neck, and I've tried everything from a tiny bit of relief to a ton -- doesn't help

-The action is set at 5/64, and every time I change the neck relief I reset the action to this height.

-Verified the nut slot is not cut too low.

-No frets popping out.

EDIT: Pickup height is 3/32"

So, apart from fret levelling issues along the one side of the neck, is there anything else I can do with the set-up to correct this issue?
Last edited by PB26 at Jul 23, 2016,
What kind of bridge? Fixed radius, individual saddles? What radius on the neck? Where are you measuring relief?
If you have too much relief then in the mid region you're basically playing in a valley and the strings will always buzz against the higher frets.
If the nut is too high then it throws off the whole action height measurement and usually has you lowering the bridge too much as well.
Moving on.....
Last edited by KenG at Jul 23, 2016,
Hipshot bridge with individual saddle adjustment, fretboard is compound radius (Schecter). I've tried everything from dead flat neck to more relief than normal and the problem was the same in each case. I'll recheck the nut height.
Quote by KenG
What kind of bridge? Fixed radius, individual saddles? What radius on the neck? Where are you measuring relief?
If you have too much relief then in the mid region you're basically playing in a valley and the strings will always buzz against the higher frets.
If the nut is too high then it throws off the whole action height measurement and usually has you lowering the bridge too much as well.

You know you're right, the nut is too high. I previously eyeballed it to make sure it wasn't too low but a proper test showed it actually is too high. I can see how this would create some odd angles when setting the bridge height.