Hi! I was at a friends house and I picked up his guitar and started playing. The guitar and the strings just felt like heaven.. I could play n play and it would sound amazing and it was "hard" to make mistakes.. With my own guitar it just felt impossible to last 10 seconds without a single mistake. I use the elixirs expensive copper ones I think.

The strings felt so easy n smooth, they didn't hurt and it didn't require force to push it.

My question is.. What kind of strings could it be? it was a yamaha apx700 guitar.. I asked him and he said he thought it was: " Cuted/grinded steelstrings " ?
The 6th string was very smooth and it looked like grey/silver colored.. And it had no pattern like the copper ones.

Any suggestions??

Thank you veryy much!!
mikkeeman2 Sounds maybe like the D'addario silver plated strings. Not too sure, haven't tried too many acoustic strings.
Could also be using a light gauge string set.
It may just be his guitar. If you are talking about electric guitar, I find that my D'addarios are awesome. I use NYXL. I'd suggest asking him. It may also be the string gauge, I make less mistakes on thicker strings since they just feel "there".
It probably the guitar setup combined with a different string gauge. Have your guitar setup, and then try some different size strings, and see what you like. I use Earnie Balls because they seem the most playable to me for some reason.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Thanks alot guys!!

I asked and all he knows is that it is Grinded strings... like the Chromed ones.. Daddario Chromed.

It's an acoustic not electric.

the strings feels very easy.. I assume it's size 10 or 11?
could it be.. Electric strings? Daddario Chromes size 10-11 -- put on acoustic guitar?

hmm.. whats your thoughts
Electric Strings on an Acoustic.....Sounds about right - not the best idea either; putting electric strings on an acoustic - in smaller gauges it wont be an issue, but the tension in some o f the higher gauges can rip a bridge clean off - and I'm not talking about the obvious when you use those drop tuning strings or 'ship towing cables'. Some folks say its ok, some don't - I've seen the damage they do first hand, so I say no. (Kid used really heavy gauge steel strings to sound grungy) Then again, in some cases they don't have enough tension and the sound is weak.... so go figure.

UG talked about it here (https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=771642)
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Last edited by Jonny Ryan Mac at Jul 25, 2016,
Quote by gorkyporky
It probably the guitar setup combined with a different string gauge. Have your guitar setup, and then try some different size strings, and see what you like. I use Earnie Balls because they seem the most playable to me for some reason.

Winner. I see so many acoustic guitarists who always get 12's or 13's for no reason, and never have their guitar properly set up- yet complain about how difficult it is to fret, finger pains, etc.

Try some 11's mikkeeman2 and get the guitar properly set up.
Quote by mikkeeman2
Thanks alot guys!!

I asked and all he knows is that it is Grinded strings... like the Chromed ones.. Daddario Chromed.

It's an acoustic not electric.

the strings feels very easy.. I assume it's size 10 or 11?

Grinded strings? I think that is referring to half-wound strings. The D'addario Chromes though are flat-wound strings. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/String_(music)

D'addario sells both if you wanted to try them. It is generally not the best idea to use electric strings on an acoustic but you can do it. Depending upon the string and tension though, you may loose a fair amount of acoustic volume, the pickup will react differently, and the overall setup may need to be changed.

Personally, I would just get a normal set of acoustic strings at 11 and be done with it. If you want to use half/flat wounds, get an electric.
Last edited by Will Lane at Jul 25, 2016,
Quote by Will Lane

Personally, I would just get a normal set of acoustic strings at 11 and be done with it. If you want to use half/flat wounds, get an electric.

I think I was mostly amazed because of the "Easyness" it was to play the guitar with those strings.. The sliding was NO problem at all..
Is it because it's such a thin size? (10-11) ? Or is it because it's Grinded strings?

I am looking for good sounding strings but easy played.. Any suggestions?

I assume that size 13 is harder to play with than size 10 or is it the other way around? :/

TY!!
Quote by mikkeeman2
I think I was mostly amazed because of the "Easyness" it was to play the guitar with those strings.. The sliding was NO problem at all..
Is it because it's such a thin size? (10-11) ? Or is it because it's Grinded strings?

I am looking for good sounding strings but easy played.. Any suggestions?

I assume that size 13 is harder to play with than size 10 or is it the other way around? :/

TY!!
The "easyness" is attributed to both the size (or rather thickness) and how the string is wound. The smaller size/thickness requires less force from your fingers to actually fret the string, as you are somewhat bending the string to get it in between the frets. As well as there is less tension on the neck with a smaller gauge of string, so the action (distance between the fretboard and the string) is reduced a bit. The string winding, when looking at flatwounds in comparison to roundwounds, is smoother with flatwounds as the actual surface of the string is smoother.
Last edited by Will Lane at Jul 25, 2016,
Quote by Will Lane
The "easyness" is attributed to both the size (or rather thickness) and how the string is wound. The smaller size/thickness requires less force from your fingers to actually fret the string, as you are somewhat bending the string to get it in between the frets. As well as there is less tension on the neck with a smaller gauge of string, so the action (distance between the fretboard and the string) is reduced a bit. The string winding, when looking at flatwounds in comparison to roundwounds, is smoother with flatwounds as the actual surface of the string is smoother.

Thank you very much!!

I'm sorry about the questions but.. I have to ask if I want to learn..

What strings would you recommend me to put on my acoustic? I am not a beginner, I play fairly well fingerpicking. With those Chromed electric strings I play really smooth n good. But! I am looking for guitar strings for better sound, I am only interested in fingerpicking aswell.

I want it to be easy n smooth, not hard so that I make to many mistakes due to the strings.

Suggestions on strings and size?
Atm I play with ... I think.. Elixirs copper size... 12 or something... for 25€
And for me those are horrible. :/

Thank you very much!