Page 1 of 3
I'm sat here pumping out Tango in the Night through my turntable

and just wondering what y'all get down to but pretend to hate while you're on the internet

peace
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by whywefight
Do The Beatles count? Or Pink Floyd?

Other than that I reallyyyy don't listen to much that's pre 80s

LOL of course Pink Floyd counts, what kind of question is that
low-key a big fan of sticky fingers so rolling stones i guess
i don't know why i feel so dry
didn't we have a kinks thread a while back and someone said they're dad rock?

so yeah, the kinks.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by Dreadnought
LOL of course Pink Floyd counts, what kind of question is that

it's still a pretty lame answer

it's not like I'm getting down to some motley crue albums on the regular or anything
Creedence Clearwater Revival
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
The only dad rock anthem you'll ever need is Hotel California
One of the third friendliest users
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis
Void is a wanker that's why

i guess i like CCR, too, but more for the fantastic use of Bad Moon Rising in American Werewolf in London

and Midnight Special in the Twilight Zone Movie
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
AC/DC. Creedence, The Eagles...pretty much any of those.

The Gin Blossoms I think are now crossing into the realm of dadrock
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
Is Dylan "dad rock"? I kind of feel like his was too much of a hepcat, but if not he is my favorite.

Otherwise The Rolling Stones, by a wide margin, specifically '68-'72 Stones.

Then maybe The Who & '62-'66 Beatles & CCR.
Last edited by neidnarb11890 at Jul 23, 2016,
Status Quo must be the ultimate dadrock band.
RPD - Finger Pickin' Good
The Ergs cover of Hey Jealousy is infinitely better than the original purely for the Mr. T soundbite at the beginning.

"Hey Jealousy" is legit, I never listened to anything else by the Gin Blossoms, though.
Quote by neidnarb11890
"Hey Jealousy" is legit, I never listened to anything else by the Gin Blossoms, though.
yeah me either.

something tells me it's the same for most other people, too.
Quote by neidnarb11890

They have some pretty good stuff....

But the older it gets, it becomes more and more Dad rock...for Dad's who were younger in the 90s
Quote by jakesmellspoo
yeah me either.

something tells me it's the same for most other people, too.

First GB song I heard was "Follow You Down"....I decided to download their discography after that. It's all kinda similar really.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
Last edited by i_lovemetallica at Jul 23, 2016,
Obviously Pink Floyd
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
do the arctic monkeys count? i have a couple of their tracks on my phone

if not i got a few black sabbath/kiss/hendrix holdouts still in my library that i don't always skip if they come on during shuffle

or wait can i say the stooges? let's go with the stooges

I think someone mentioned ELO, that would have to be right up there.
ZZ Top are also Dad rock, but for cool dads.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
I'd say the Arctic Monkeys do not count

But the Stooges definitely do
Quote by neidnarb11890

i've only ever heard the ergs cover of this song and i figured that was all i'd ever need

i'd argue the stooges are right at the tipping point now. another decade and probably yeah.

also Bad Religion are are total dad rock band now.
Last edited by jakesmellspoo at Jul 23, 2016,
I feel like the Stooges are also too hepcat, like the VU, but I guess I would place them after the Stones.
Quote by neidnarb11890

ya just gotta mentally change the "you can trust me not to think" to -> "you can trust me not to drink" to get the full alcoholic desperation effect and also say "rest in peace doug hopkins hope you know up there in heaven that they're playin your song over a tinbox speaker in a crowded sports bar" out-loud when you're jammin in a greene turtle
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by Dreadnought
I'd say the Arctic Monkeys do not count

But the Stooges definitely do

at what point does the music itself take precedent over age in regards to dad? the arctic monkeys might be relatively young but they still have an undeniable dad-ish vibe to their sound. yeah there's far better examples out there (looking at all 600 of you black keys wannabes out there) and i'll admit there was a bit of snark in bringing them up in this discussion but you also said "favourite" so yeah not necessarily a bad thing y'know?

I don't know how to respond to that, but I hate the Black Keys

Quote by MinterMan22
i've only ever heard the ergs cover of this song and i figured that was all i'd ever need

but the Gin Blossoms do it way better
Last edited by Dreadnought at Jul 23, 2016,
Quote by Dreadnought
I don't know how to respond to that, but I hate the Black Keys

but the Gin Blossoms do it way better

the gin blossoms don't sample mr t to kick it off though

Quote by MinterMan22
the gin blossoms don't sample mr t to kick it off though
git up fool
Quote by MinterMan22
at what point does the music itself take precedent over age in regards to dad? the arctic monkeys might be relatively young but they still have an undeniable dad-ish vibe to their sound. yeah there's far better examples out there (looking at all 600 of you black keys wannabes out there) and i'll admit there was a bit of snark in bringing them up in this discussion but you also said "favourite" so yeah not necessarily a bad thing y'know?
Music that was cool and hip back when dads were kids that are now lame dadrock songs to kids/younger generations

But there is different types of family music as well, like the gorillaz is totally brother rock
And glam metal is almost always mom rock

I take this stuff seriously
One of the third friendliest users
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis
Void is a wanker that's why

Last edited by FireFromTheVoid at Jul 23, 2016,
90s rock is dad rock now.

eg pulp, oasis, blur

my favourite dad rock is Queen though.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Rolling Stones, Kinks, CCR
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Wilco is good modern day dad rock.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by Eastwinn
ya just gotta mentally change the "you can trust me not to think" to -> "you can trust me not to drink" to get the full alcoholic desperation effect and also say "rest in peace doug hopkins hope you know up there in heaven that they're playin your song over a tinbox speaker in a crowded sports bar" out-loud when you're jammin in a greene turtle

True words. Is there really a more depressing song ever written? other than by the gin blossoms?
If people in my generation are dads now, does that mean everything I like is a dadrock band? Like, do At the Drive in count as a dad rock band now?
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Quote by neidnarb11890

Gin Blossoms aren't dad rock, they're soccer mom rock.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Page 1 of 3