In a couple of months I'll be moving from the middle of nowhere to a place where people live and I'm hoping I'll have the opportunity to actually perform after five years playing. I can't do anything about my playing (except practice, I suppose), but there's no reason for me to force people to listen to noisy ground hum all the time.

So, obviously, I'm looking for noiseless pickup recommendations. Sonically I want something that's got a convincing vintage singlecoil sound, possibly slightly hotter and/or more mid-heavy in the bridge and Strattier in the neck (along the lines of the Twisted Tele). Ideally I don't want to be spending more than about £150 for the pair. I don't particularly want anything too weird looking or with logos all over it but if it's the best option it doesn't bother me. I don't want anything that isn't a direct swap.

The options I'm aware of are:
Fender Vintage Noiseless
Fender N3
Fender N4 (I don't think they sell these on their own yet, though)
Lace Tele Sensor
Seymour Duncan Vintage Stack
Seymour Duncan Hot Stack (only for bridge I think?)

But what I don't have is a solid idea of which ones are most convincingly Tele-sounding, or most noiseless (or least noiseful). I also don't know if there are better options for the same (or less) money.

Cheers
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Jul 24, 2016,
Best on the market are the Kinman Noiseless (http://kinman.com/model-products.php?pid=5&products=Telecaster&group=Named%20Sets).
He's also got the best noiseless P90's out there.

You won't (generally) find them in every guitar store on the planet the way you do Fenders and SDs. It's worthwhile to contact him for your sonic questions. The real question is whether they'll fit into your budget (Brexit and other currency fluctuation dependent).
Last edited by dspellman at Jul 24, 2016,
dspellman
They look nice - if the pound stabilises (doubtful) I may be willing to stretch but I doubt they're going to get any cheaper. Of course, that's true of everything but the brands readily available here might not suffer quite so sharp an increase.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Jul 24, 2016,
if the tele versions of the n3 are similar to the strat they'll be very low output. that's not a problem if you like that but just pointing it out in case you're not aware of it.

again this is based on strats but out of what i've tried i liked the dimarzio virtual vintages the best I think.

i haven't tried kinmans, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
if the tele versions of the n3 are similar to the strat they'll be very low output. that's not a problem if you like that but just pointing it out in case you're not aware of it.
My current pups are already pretty low output, but there's a chance I might be about to acquire another Telecaster soon that already has N3s in it so I'll be able to compare. Not anywhere near certain so don't tell anyone yet though

Quote by Dave_Mc
again this is based on strats but out of what i've tried i liked the dimarzio virtual vintages the best I think.
I always forget Dimarzio exists I think the closest thing they do to Virtual Vintages for Telecasters is the Area T so I'll take a look at that.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
I use noisy P90's in my tele. I simply mute the signal with either my guitar's volume control or tuner pedal. It isn't hard.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
I use noisy P90's in my tele. I simply mute the signal with either my guitar's volume control or tuner pedal. It isn't hard.
I know about the volume knob. Hell, I even use my tone knob - revolutionary though that may sound to some. Most of the time, I'm also touching the strings. However, I am still somewhat averse to massive bursts of 60-cycle when I turn on an ungated fuzz or compressor, or especially a delay on top of either. I made it clear what I was looking for in the OP and while I'm sure your P90 Tele sounds great, it is wholly immaterial to my question. I may not go noiseless; I may decide that traditional singlecoils are for me and be done with it, but if a noiseless pickup can get rid of the noise that's irritating me while still sounding how I want it to sound (which is what I'm asking about), I see no reason why I shouldn't make use of that option.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
I was just offering another solution to the problem. It's how I do it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Lace Alumitones are noiseless and sound good, but they may be too...odd looking for your tastes. Still...

Also, Tosin Abasi...because Tosin Abasi.

https://new.vk.com/video-52264147_168825637X
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jul 24, 2016,
I absolutely love the lace pickups on my tele+. I don't know the colors though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
dannyalcatraz
I like the look of them but - correct me if I'm wrong - they don't seem to do them as a direct swap for Teles. It's looking like I may have to find a replacement pickguard for the MIJ I'm trying to grab, which'll be enough of a chore without having to customise the pickup rout.

trashedlostfdup
That's good info and appreciated nonetheless
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
You'd have to ask Lace. They have a variety of pickups in the Alumitone line, but all anyone ever seems to demo are the normal Alumitone singles & HBs or the Deathbuckers.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

is your tele swimming pool routed? if it is throw a strat sc in the center, if you want it a little more stratty.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by K33nbl4d3
Iif a noiseless pickup can get rid of the noise that's irritating me while still sounding how I want it to sound (which is what I'm asking about), I see no reason why I shouldn't make use of that option.

I've been using those stupid Variaxes so much, I'd nearly forgotten about noiseless pickups. The tele, P90 and strat models on the Variax are completely noiseless, especially when you're running the Variax on the VDI cable (no capacitance issues, etc.).

But I have a couple of sets of noiseless P90's, and there are venues where those are absolutely golden.
Last edited by dspellman at Jul 28, 2016,
dannyalcatraz
I'll definitely look into it

trashedlostfdup
Three pickup layouts aren't for me - I like being able to whack the switch and get the sound I want and I like the look of a Telecaster as-is. I'm this picky about food, too

dspellman
What would I do without you to remind me what a dinosaur I am? I promise I'll get one some day! Even if you're playing guitars that can do magic tricks by that point...
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Jul 26, 2016,
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Seymour Duncan Vintage Stack
Seymour Duncan Hot Stack (only for bridge I think?)

But what I don't have is a solid idea of which ones are most convincingly Tele-sounding, or most noiseless (or least noiseful). I also don't know if there are better options for the same (or less) money.

Cheers

Of what we offer, the Vintage Stack is the most Tele-like (snap and twang) and can be ordered without any logos.
Mincer
Cheers To be honest, the hot stack is one deviation from the classic Tele look that I wouldn't be very averse to at all, since I'm currently on a Jeff Buckley kick. Hard to say if that'll last, though
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Jul 26, 2016,
To be fair, while I love the Hot Stack, it is a little further away from a classic Tele sound. You start to get into more of a P-90 sound. That is great, if that is what you are going for.
Mincer
Got it The Vintage is probably more likely to end up in one of my Teles, but who knows what the future holds?
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
Just got an email from Rio Grande pickups- good boutique stuff- about their new Greasegunner for Teles:
http://riograndepickups.com/greasegunner-guitar-pickup-for-tele-bridge

I know- more than your budget. But you might be interested in those or another one of their products.

dannyalcatraz
Full-on humbuckers just aren't my thing these days, at least on on Teles, but some of their other stuff looks pretty badass and well worth the look. For the comment "Finally! A pickup for your Tele® that gives you a usable neck position.", however, they must pay dearly.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Jul 27, 2016,
Just remember, they ARE Texans.

I don't know if any of theirs are noiseless, but it never hurts to ask, especially since they do custom work. I'll say this- I recommended their Dirty Harry* to Cathbard for one of his Axes, and he loves it.

Which reminds me- check with Pete Biltof at Vintage Vibe. I bought a bridg Charlie Christian and a standard(ish) Tele Neck for a luthier prototype teleclone, and love them. He also did a 7-string P90 for Cathbard...and he followed that up with a second one, as I recall.

The last pricey brand I'll recommend is The Creamery. I bought a HB & HP-sized P90 for a custom build teleclone, and they were stellar. Again, don't know if they do noiseless Tele pups, but emails are cheap.

* a line of P90 style pickups in a variety of sizes

Quote by dannyalcatraz
The last pricey brand I'll recommend is The Creamery. I bought a HB & HP-sized P90 for a custom build teleclone, and they were stellar. Again, don't know if they do noiseless Tele pups, but emails are cheap.
Noiseless or otherwise, they're definitely on my radar. They're in the right country and their pickups aren't particularly expensive relative to everything else here - a set of their singlecoils comes in at £130 which is not substantially more than an SD or Dimarzio set (both in the region of £110-130). A pair of their Classic '64s would be right at home in my upcoming acquisition (which seems to be pretty much certain at this point, and I'm very excited about it - more on that in due course) and with the incoming price increase on imports they may well look even more attractive in a couple months' time.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
The 7 string HS P90's I got from Vintage Vibe are awesome pups. He supplies them with replaceable magnets which are super easy to replace. I swapped the magnets in the neck from Alnico V to ceramic and it sorted that out nicely.
They are not noiseless though. As I explained earlier though, I don't care. What I care about is the tone and Pete's pups have that in spades. I can highly recommend them. Really classy pups.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by trashedlostfdup
I absolutely love the lace pickups on my tele+. I don't know the colors though.

+1. My bandmate has Lace Sensors in his Tele and I'm mad jealous.