Hello to whom this may concern,

Thank you for taking the time to read this and possibly help me with some input.

Soo its been years since I picked up a guitar probably since 2006, I played in my high school years, started in 2003 and it just came to a stop in 2006, I cant remember why to be honest. so here I am missing the feeling, the sound and creating music. I enjoy some of the old 90's pop-punk, Millencolin, Bad Religion, No use for a name, nofx, the vandals, Rise Agianst. some late 90s early 00's bands. Just to give you an idea of what type of ear I have.

I USED to have an awesome Epiphone Standard les paul, and a fender strat that I had made with a single Jeff beck humbucker (thats what it was called, may call it something else now idk lol) ernie ball strings( I think the pink or green frame around the bag) a Randall RG head with matching cabinet, I don't know what the wattage I think it was 100watt. No effect pedals.

Anyway, after almost 10 years so much has changed but it seems some stuff is kind of the same for me. I'm really more concerned about others input if something else is new out there guitar/amp related. I'm not looking to join a band or take over the world lol. I have been doing research Id really like to get another Randall setup or maybe a Marshall combo amp this time. If someone can lead me in that direction any help would be great thanks!
'15 Fender Stratocaster w/ Dimarzio p/u
'15 Squire Bullet Stratocaster w/ Dimarzio p/u
Marshall DSL40c
What is your budget, and in what area do you live?
Gibson Les Paul 60s Tribute
Jackson King V
Peavey Valveking 100
Ampeg VH140C
Boss TU-3 Chromatic Tuner
MXR ZW-44 Overdrive
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Digitech JamMan Solo XT
Peavey Vypyr VIP 1
Last edited by Nolasludge at Jul 24, 2016,
Quote by Nolasludge
What is your budget, and what area do you live?

seems like the prices haven't changed much, I honestly don't know about a budget yetust rounding numbers combo cabinet, guitar id be willing to go but not over 1,100 again I figure another epiphone les Paul would be 500 +/- and a amp about 500-600

And I'm close to austin
Marshall DSL40c
Last edited by VirgoLife87 at Jul 24, 2016,
Used jcm900 combo can be had at your amp budget; second guess from Marshall is a dsl401 that can be had under 500.

There's one LP from ESP (war bird) that comes stock with a JB that's worth a look. you can get a good used Epi for less though.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
I never had a marshall jcm but I fogot about them!!! I'm probably leaning toward another epiphone les paul
Marshall DSL40c
Quote by diabolical
Look at Peavey Valveking, guitar I'd say LTD M-1000 but Epi is fine if you prefer that. Some USA Charvels are about $900 worth checking out on Sweetwater.
I was also going to suggest a VK. I've seen the 1x12 combo go for about $300 which leaves plenty of room for a Vintage 30 speaker upgrade.
Gibson Les Paul 60s Tribute
Jackson King V
Peavey Valveking 100
Ampeg VH140C
Boss TU-3 Chromatic Tuner
MXR ZW-44 Overdrive
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Digitech JamMan Solo XT
Peavey Vypyr VIP 1
I'm looking up everything you guys are sending! thanks! What do you guys think of the squire junior with a aftermarket humbucker?
Marshall DSL40c
If you want a LP style guitar without the LP price, look at the Michael Kelly Patriot Decree. I have 2 and both are exceptional (and not just "for the price', they are both gig-worthy guitars).

A Valveking is actually a pretty decent amp, is generally available used for a great price but does, as noted, benefit substantially from a speaker upgrade. (I'd look at WGS Speakers, excellent products, excellent prices. ) It was the first amp I bought for my oldest son.

If you ever get down to Houston, I've got a Kustom "The Defender" 1x12 50w combo with a factory Celestion V-30 that I'd let you have for a fair price, and it would do everything you're looking for and a good bit more. (Shameless plug, but true nonetheless.) Here's a Link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0036B8A16/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687582&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001LRPTSY&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0S6H77TNJ2AEK6793PGJ

You won't go far wrong with the Marshall offerings mentioned above either, although you do pay a bit of a Branding premium.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
If you want a LP style guitar without the LP price, look at the Michael Kelly Patriot Decree. I have 2 and both are exceptional (and not just "for the price', they are both gig-worthy guitars).

A Valveking is actually a pretty decent amp, is generally available used for a great price but does, as noted, benefit substantially from a speaker upgrade. (I'd look at WGS Speakers, excellent products, excellent prices. ) It was the first amp I bought for my oldest son.

If you ever get down to Houston, I've got a Kustom "The Defender" 1x12 50w combo with a factory Celestion V-30 that I'd let you have for a fair price, and it would do everything you're looking for and a good bit more. (Shameless plug, but true nonetheless.) Here's a Link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0036B8A16/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687582&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001LRPTSY&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0S6H77TNJ2AEK6793PGJ

You won't go far wrong with the Marshall offerings mentioned above either, although you do pay a bit of a Branding premium.

Thanks for the heads up, But Houston isn't on my list of trips! lol Thank you anyway!!

I was thinking about getting a les paul junior, putting a demarzio custom pickup in it or another Seymour Duncan JB humbucker, and get a JCM 50wt amp. I did like the les paul better than the Stratocaster, and I primary use the bridge pickup the most, so Id figure Id keep it siple, unless theres another guitar that has a single humbucker at the bridge? And would a slimmer body appose to a thicker body make a difference?
Marshall DSL40c
I'm not a fan of the Jr., but then I don't suppose I need to be. Body thickness is more a personal preference issue than anything else. I personally think it's a mistake to limit yourself so severely , but it's your call.
Charles Darwin
I'm trying not to me, I played a handful of guitars way back when but the musicman AXIS and the les paul really stand out to me, I also do like the EMG pickups in some Ibanez's too. but I think ill be getting some kind of les paul but I'm writing the opions down this way if I come across one in guitar center ill pick one up!
Marshall DSL40c
Quote by VirgoLife87
I'm trying not to me, I played a handful of guitars way back when but the musicman AXIS and the les paul really stand out to me, I also do like the EMG pickups in some Ibanez's too. but I think ill be getting some kind of les paul but I'm writing the opions down this way if I come across one in guitar center ill pick one up!

Go buy this:

https://austin.craigslist.org/msg/5700495602.html

And this:

https://austin.craigslist.org/msg/5654502453.html

Call it a day, plug in and rock out. Simple, sorted and well under budget. It really is just that simple.
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Jul 25, 2016,
I saw a used Epiphone LP Custom, black with gold hardware, coil taps, etc. at a local Sam Ash. It was $399. I was sorely tempted.

Something like that and a used (or new) Marshall DSL40C seems like a simple and sweet solution, easy to find, and well under budget.
Guitars
- Strandberg OS6, Strandberg CL7, Gibson LP Studio, S570DXQM, RG7421, Mayer Strat, Partscaster

Amps
- TC-50, Mark Five:25, Invective (soon), Vypyr 60
Shit. I think I may go get that guitar. Lol
Guitars
- Strandberg OS6, Strandberg CL7, Gibson LP Studio, S570DXQM, RG7421, Mayer Strat, Partscaster

Amps
- TC-50, Mark Five:25, Invective (soon), Vypyr 60
lol SO I decided I'm probably going to get another epiphone Les Paull standard, The last one I bought was in 2009, has anything changed about tthem? But I will be trying out various others, And get a 40watt Marshall DSL,
Marshall DSL40c