My band is about to play some out of town shows. I'd really like to make most of my amp and effect knob settings stick so that they don't get moved around when loading and unloading.

What do you guys out there do to help with this?
Cut out little wedges of electrical tape to use as markers.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
painters tape. also take pics of the settings in case they get moved.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
In a "rig rundown" video with Larry Lalonde, of Primus, I saw what he does with his pedals, and thought it was genius. He sets all his amp and pedal knobs to where he wants them to be most of the time, then puts a piece of tape with an arrow drawn on it onto each knob, with the arrow pointing straight up. So, regardless of where the knobs are actually set to, he can just cast a quick glance across the knobs, see that all the arrows are straight up, and know that everything is in order. And, if there's maybe a song or two where he wants to use a slightly different setting on something, he doesn't need to remember every specific position, he can just be like, "okay, all arrows straight up by default, but I take this one and point it to about 2 o'clock for that one song", or whatever.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
Personally, I'm not married to my settings, especially when on the road because I tweak my settings at each venue. Different venues that are different sizes, different stage sizes, different PA types, and even different weather patterns all make a difference in tone, so I like to tweak everything. However, something I do when I'm borrowing gear for whatever reason is take a picture of the settings, so when i give it back, the settings are where they left them. I suppose the same could work for you on the road.
Gibson Les Paul 60s Tribute
Jackson King V
Peavey Valveking 100
Ampeg VH140C
Boss TU-3 Chromatic Tuner
MXR ZW-44 Overdrive
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Digitech JamMan Solo XT
Peavey Vypyr VIP 1
I mark my most common amp and pedal settings with a small red paint pen. This way at every venue I know my rig is 90% ready with only a little fine-tuning for room conditions during sound check. Some guys use those colored adhesive dots. Anything works as long as you can get set up with a good baseline tone quickly. This also works:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-0g_LuEBD9Wc/TXY9oHOiB9I/AAAAAAAAACE/9MZq_kiFi5o/s1600/i1bl.jpg

John Mayer's amp:
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Jul 25, 2016,
I remember seeing rob chapman's victory amp had something that went on the chassis of his amp with holes for the knobs. It made it so you couldn't move the knobs from above or below, but you had to put your finger in the hole to change your settings. I'd try making something out of plywood and using large rubber bands to hold it in place.
I'm like Cajundaddy. I bought a cheap bottle of red finger nail polish at the dollar store and use that to mark where I want the controls. You can always remove it with just a little finger nail polish remover (acetone).
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Quote by the_bi99man
In a "rig rundown" video with Larry Lalonde, of Primus, I saw what he does with his pedals, and thought it was genius. He sets all his amp and pedal knobs to where he wants them to be most of the time, then puts a piece of tape with an arrow drawn on it onto each knob, with the arrow pointing straight up. So, regardless of where the knobs are actually set to, he can just cast a quick glance across the knobs, see that all the arrows are straight up, and know that everything is in order. And, if there's maybe a song or two where he wants to use a slightly different setting on something, he doesn't need to remember every specific position, he can just be like, "okay, all arrows straight up by default, but I take this one and point it to about 2 o'clock for that one song", or whatever.

Wow, what a great idea, thanks!
Your amp isn't going to sound the same at every venue, but putting tape to mark your setting is great for a base to start with.
..I was watching my death.