Hello UG Community,

So i threw together this chord progression and it felt it worked for me.

The progression is "F - G - Cadd9 - D - Am - E" played with open Strings.

It has kind of "Wish you were here - Pink Floyd" feel.
Which could i use to solo over it. I want a "Wish you were here" Intro solo kind of feel.

I hope you guys can help me.

Greetings,
Chris
Your idea is already too complicated for just one scale. Furthermore, I don't know what rhythm you're thinking, so the answer might vary.

Anyways -
F-G-Cadd9 is all playable with the C major scale; it's a standard IV-V-I in C major.

D is borrowing from the parallel major of A minor; I'd suggest notes in "D Mixolydian" to emphasize the major quality while not adding more accidentals.

Am is the relative minor of C.

E is the dominant of A minor, so I'd suggest anything E7-sounding.
===
What you really want is to learn chord functions, however.
Personally, I'd change the E to Em(7) ... as NeoMvsEu says, the rhythm here will make a huge difference (which chords get the emphasis). WIth the change to Em7, you could give this more of a Am (A m blues) feel, even to A Dorian (not against the F, unless you want an unholy din!). But sounds cool with C and could add a touch of Bm pentatonic or Em pentatonic over the D (even D and Am). Have to be careful how you connect the notes.
The progression is in the key of C major and uses a couple of non-diatonic chords. C major will work over all of the chords that are diatonic to C major (i.e. chords that use notes in the C major scale). How to play over the non-diatonic chords (D major and E major in this case)? Well, just use the C major and alter the notes to fit the chords. D major is D F# A. C major has an F so you want to change that to F#. E major is E G# B. C major has a G so you want to change that to G#.

So, play C major over everything, and over D major change the F to F#, and over E major change the G to G#. I think this is the simplest way - use the key scale + chord tones.

But yeah, as Neo said, you should learn about chord functions.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
I just thought that sounded quite nice.

Thanks for the replies. I will try to change it up and get back to you.#

Going to look into Chord functions now, as I am nearly there with my music theory.

Edit: I uploaded it and changed the E to an Em7. This is the rhythm i was thinking about.

https://soundcloud.com/user-239364918/hope (New link)

What you can hear in the sound sample is, that i always play the high E open (only in this song. I use the Hendrix/Frusciante F here)

Edit2:
Thanks everybody for helping me.
Last edited by chris.fruscio at Jul 25, 2016,
chris.fruscio
Quote by chris.fruscio
Hello UG Community,

So i threw together this chord progression and it felt it worked for me.

The progression is "F - G - Cadd9 - D - Am - E" played with open Strings.

It has kind of "Wish you were here - Pink Floyd" feel.
Which could i use to solo over it. I want a "Wish you were here" Intro solo kind of feel.

I hope you guys can help me.

Greetings,
Chris
You don't need to change anything - if you're sure you like the sound of each chord, and each change. There's no rule that says every chord has to come from the same scale. (Just like there's no rule that says every bike has to have training wheels...)

The only thing that's unusual about your sequence - if all the chords are equally spaced - is that it's six chords, meaning it's 6 bars or maybe 3 bars.
But again, that's only "unusual", not "wrong" (if you're sure that's how you want it).

Of course, the fact that no one scale fits all your chords means that you can't solo on one scale throughout.
It begins with a clear IV-V-I in C major (F-G-C). Then the C and D together suggest a IV-V in G major - which is actually quite clever (IMO). Am could also be in key of G. E is the usual V chord in key of A minor, so that's fine. (If it goes back to F, that's also cool, as a "deceptive cadence".)
You could use C major scale on the first 3 chords, or G major scale on C-D-Am.
A harmonic minor would fit the E (and Am). Or A melodic minor would fit D-Am-E.
So there are at least two options on every chord, depending on how much you want to link it to the chord before or after. In general it's best to share notes as much as possible between chords.
The A minor pentatonic scale would actually fit pretty well across the whole thing - except for the G and E chords. For the G, you could just lower the C to B (giving you G major or E minor pentatonic); and for E you could lower the A too to G#, to give you a "bluesy E7" scale (E G G# B D).

Essentially, you could just take the chord tones in each chord, and fill in the gaps with notes from the chord before or after. (This works with just about any chord progression )

P.S., congratulations for not asking what key it's in. Irrelevant question.
Quote by jongtr
P.S., congratulations for not asking what key it's in. Irrelevant question.

Thank you
Last edited by chris.fruscio at Jul 25, 2016,
Quote by chris.fruscio
I just thought that sounded quite nice.

Thanks for the replies. I will try to change it up and get back to you.#

Going to look into Chord functions now, as I am nearly there with my music theory.

Edit: I uploaded it and changed the E to an Em7. This is the rhythm i was thinking about.

https://soundcloud.com/user-239364918/progression

What you can hear in the sound sample is, that i always play the high E open (only in this song. I use the Hendrix/Frusciante F here)

Edit2:
Thanks everybody for helping me.

The track you posted has different chords. It's simply Fmaj7-G6-Am-Em7. It's in the key of Am and A minor will work over everything.

I don't hear C and D major chords anywhere in the progression.

Also, as jongtr said, you don't need to change the E major chord to Em7. If you like the sound of E major better, just play it.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Jul 25, 2016,
Quote by MaggaraMarine
The track you posted has different chords. It's simply Fmaj7-G6-Am-Em7. It's in the key of Am and A minor will work over everything.

I don't hear C and D major chords anywhere in the progression.

Also, as jongtr said, you don't need to change the E major chord to Em7. If you like the sound of E major better, just play it.

Crap i posted the wrong file. Sorry for that.
^ Yeah, there is no D major in the progression (it's Dsus2) so there's no need to use an F# over anything (unless you like the sound of course). The simplest thing would be to just play the C major scale over everything and just change the G to a G# when playing over the E major chord.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Jul 25, 2016,
I will try it out and see if i like it with the G#. Other than that i can probably get away with changing the scale when playing over the G.

Thanks for all the help and i hope you guys have a nice week.
Quote by chris.fruscio
I will try it out and see if i like it with the G#. Other than that i can probably get away with changing the scale when playing over the G.

Just to make sure, you only want to use the G# over E major. Over other chords use the C major scale. Of course you can use any notes you want but that would be the safest choice.

The next time you come up with a chord progression and want to know what to play over it, just figure out the key and look at the chord tones. Use the key scale over everything and if there are non-diatonic chords, make alterations to the key scale to fit those chords. (Again, this is the safest, most "obvious" choice. You can use any note you want. It is good if it sounds good. Use your ears. There really are no "wrong" notes - it's all about the sound you are after. But the note choice is easier to understand if you relate the notes you play to the chords you are playing over.) I would also suggest learning about chord functions to understand the progression.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by chris.fruscio

Additional clarification: G# note, not chord. Everything is C major scale, apart from that one note in the E chord (3rd string 1st fret ). You can obviously bend any G note you play on that chord.
Last edited by jongtr at Jul 26, 2016,