I can comfortably sing normal baritone range (g2 to g4) easily. At the B before g4 (sorry, I have trouble with identifying which note the octave number changes because my search efforts on the internet haven't been successful), I have to switch to my "float" voice, as my chorus teacher describes it. It's not pure head voice (please for the love of god please do not start another "that is falsetto and that is headvoice" thread), this is a voice where I have no break, but it isn't quite my normal chest voice. I can still sing c5, the highest tenor note as defined by the sticky, it actually doesn't feel strained, but it does feel difficult if you know what I mean.
I can also sing e2 with comfort as well, but this isn't about my bass range as much.
So, please, provide this noob with some good youtube channels, videos, DVDs, or just general advice to strengthen this limited but existing tenor range that I have. I will be happy to provide additional information if you need it in order to help me.
Anyway, here's a song for reference (Lost Horizon - Highlander), ignore the screams, I've been getting better at screams very quick despite the fact I still suck. Thank you in advance!
My advice is to just work with your range. Power metal doesn't have to have silly squirrel tenor singers all the time. You might be very interested in checking out a number of folk/viking metal bands with lower vocals than what you tend to hear in power metal, such as Falkenbach, Heidevolk, Myrkgrav, Mithotyn, Temnozor, etc.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
theogonia777 I love viking metal! Wintersun, Amon Amarth, Ensiferum, Turisas, etc. I've been looking into skiltron, that guy sings in a comfy range for me. Thanks for the advice, that seems to be working pretty well so far, I used to have trouble pushing A3 (I think, whatever 2nd fret on the G string is on guitar).
Yep, choose songs or change keys to work within the range of your chosen instrument. The world needs more baritone lead singers outside of country music.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Jul 25, 2016,
VanhalenVai Does your chest voice go up to a G4, if so, then you should be able to sing up to a G5 in head voice. I'd say you'd be able to sing most Kamelot songs, a few Sonata Arctica songs, Queensryche songs. You should have no problem with power metal, singing Iron Maiden would be a challenge but you can just lower the tuning by a step and it should sound ok.