Hello to anybody who is, for some reason, reading this thread. I need help in buying my first electric guitar, mainly because all of the ones that I've looked at sound the same. Looking to play songs from Metallica, Slayer, My Chemical Romance, Green Day, Guns N' Roses, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath and Deep Purple. Budget is 200 dollars, with the amp.

Squier Affinity Strat Pack
https://www.amazon.com/Squier-Affinity-Strat-Fender-Frontman/dp/B008F4URXI

Epiphone Les Paul Player Pack
https://www.amazon.com/Epiphone-Electric-Package-Vintage-Sunburst/dp/B00A6D50L0

Dean Vendetta XMT Pack
https://www.amazon.com/Dean-Vendetta-Electric-Guitar-Tremolo/dp/B0025VLQY6

Ibanez GRX20Z(with Fender Frontman 10G)
https://www.amazon.com/Ibanez-GRX20ZBKN-Electric-Guitar-Black/dp/B000N2Q6WG
https://www.amazon.com/Fender-Frontman-Electric-Guitar-Amplifier/dp/B001L8PIFW

And no, I'm not ordering any of these online.
Where abouts in the USA are you? We will be able to help you find appropriate used gear then, because in all honesty, getting a guitar and amp new for $200 is going to get you a total piece of shit of either a guitar or amp.

All those amps in those starter packs will sound absolutely terrible, and the quality of the guitars isn't much better, and for a beginner, this is going to demotivate you and make you not want to practice and play and more than likely give up altogether.
However used we can find stuff that will be a lot more reasonable.

Some kind of cheap used modelling amp like a Vypyr or a Valvetronix would be great, they go for cheap now because they are old and newer models are out, not because they are bad.

For example, my Vypyr was £70 from a local Cash Converters (UK Pawn Shop chain) and sounds amazing for a modeling amp, I also used to own a Valvetronix and that was pretty good also, arguably better for the cleaner stuff, but the Vypyr wins on heavy music. I also picked up a higher end Squier Stratocaster from the 90's that is a damn sight better than any Squier from a starter pack for £30.

So for £100 total I got a perfectly reasonable beginner rig, with 2 pieces of gear that will last years and is still worth keeping as you get better (my Squier has been modded to hell, it's a beast now) and the Vypyr is still going strong, I see no real need to upgrade until I start taking recording seriously and start an actual band up.

Basically with $200 used you could find a Vypyr and a semi decent guitar that will sound, feel and play much better than any of that cheap shit in those starter packs.
My Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
OLP John Petrucci
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
Squier Stratocaster (modified)
Harley Benton CLD-41S (Acoustic)

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss FRV-1 '63 Fender Reverb
Don't live in the States( instead, the really sunny Philippines). No qualms about getting a used guitar though.
Quote by N1ghtmar3C1n3ma
Where abouts in the USA are you? We will be able to help you find appropriate used gear then, because in all honesty, getting a guitar and amp new for $200 is going to get you a total piece of shit of either a guitar or amp.

All those amps in those starter packs will sound absolutely terrible, and the quality of the guitars isn't much better, and for a beginner, this is going to demotivate you and make you not want to practice and play and more than likely give up altogether.
However used we can find stuff that will be a lot more reasonable.

Some kind of cheap used modelling amp like a Vypyr or a Valvetronix would be great, they go for cheap now because they are old and newer models are out, not because they are bad.

For example, my Vypyr was £70 from a local Cash Converters (UK Pawn Shop chain) and sounds amazing for a modeling amp, I also used to own a Valvetronix and that was pretty good also, arguably better for the cleaner stuff, but the Vypyr wins on heavy music. I also picked up a higher end Squier Stratocaster from the 90's that is a damn sight better than any Squier from a starter pack for £30.

So for £100 total I got a perfectly reasonable beginner rig, with 2 pieces of gear that will last years and is still worth keeping as you get better (my Squier has been modded to hell, it's a beast now) and the Vypyr is still going strong, I see no real need to upgrade until I start taking recording seriously and start an actual band up.

Basically with $200 used you could find a Vypyr and a semi decent guitar that will sound, feel and play much better than any of that cheap shit in those starter packs.

this. you'll get a pile of shite if you go new. go second hand where you can.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
Or you can borrow anyone's acoustic / classical and start learning on that and save up some more money. Really don't buy any of those packs you listed as they are god awful.
Not because they are in a pack, but because what's in the pack. You will probably have a guitar that is not doing the job and will be bad in every aspect, be it tone, playability or aesthetics, and it will deter you from picking it up and playing guitar.
A poor quality guitar and amp will give you nothing but frustration. It'll probably feel and sound awful and most importantly turn you off progressing any further than learning a couple of chords.

It really is worth your while either looking at second hand gear or saving your pennies for a bit. We all like to have new things but, in the guitar world, many times old stuff will provide far more satisfaction in the long run.
These day's I'd be half tempted to tell people not to bother with amps at all when learning or not spending a lot. If you have a phone or computer I feel it's a better option to just get an interface for either and use amp sims. That way you get a huge range of decent sounds that you just won't get with a cheap amp.
Alright, I'll take the advice.
So, do you guys have any advice on a guitar to get?
(I should probably say that I've been playing acoustic for a year, to not confuse people)
I had the same question recently from my neice who has been wanting to learn guitar for a while so I looked around for her and we ended up getting a used Yamaha Pacifica 112v and a used 20w Roland Cube. Total of $300 au and it's a great sounding combo. The pacifica is a great guitar for the price and very well made, and they've had quite a good name for a long time now. Same goes for the cube. I own one myself.

I think regardless of what guitar you get make sure you get a tech to set it up for you. The difference in the playability and sound after a good set up can be staggering.
Look at the Squier 51. 200.00 USD and a great guitar. Good enough that Fender made an expensive copy of it. If you are just going to be playing in the comfort of your bed/living room Look at the Yamaha THR5. There are alot of sounds inside that little box waiting to be discovered.I know it is twice the listed budget but it is better to save up then to rush out and buy garbage on a shoe string.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.