i just got myself a LL16 online and i think the spruce bulge a little too much, here`s some pictures of it

i just like to know is this too much for a new guitar or is it perfectly fine with it?
It does seem a bit much, but on the other hand it is about as much as a guitar of mine and that one is still holding up. Guitars of that price-range are generally made (glued) to stick, if you'd pardon the pun, so it won't be coming off too soon. However, if you want to be certain it won't, or feel uncomfortable with it rising this much, you can lower the string tension or file down the saddle a little. As long as you keep it in decent conditions it shouldn't get much worse though, Yamaha has fairly good quality control in my experience and if this one got through it should hold up.
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
That isn't belly bulged. The top of a guitar should have a bit of arch built into to because it helps to prevent deformation later on. Your guitar has a normal amount of arch.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by CorduroyEW
That isn't belly bulged. The top of a guitar should have a bit of arch built into to because it helps to prevent deformation later on. Your guitar has a normal amount of arch.

Just as a side-note, not to disparage from this comment, but just to clarify a bit more. I'm coming to this situation with an instrument that had this exact issue a mere few days ago. I also thought this looked normal, but having taken it to two professionals (builders, not players) I was told what I've told you, it being a bit (not horribly) much. It is possible there are differences in opinion among professionals, but both told me the same thing. I don't think it would be an immedtiate problem, but given that Corduroy's comment seemed not to entirely agree with mine I felt I would add a bit. I think it shouldn't be a problem, but it does look very similar to a situation of my own and I was advised just that. If you are still not sure, you can always take it to a builder yourself, as looking at the instrument this much shouldn't even cost you a dime.
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
Last edited by FretboardToAsh at Jul 25, 2016,
Quote by choy82
i just got myself a LL16 online and i think the spruce bulge a little too much, here`s some pictures of it

i just like to know is this too much for a new guitar or is it perfectly fine with it?

I looks a touch high to me as well. However, I wish you have posted the current action height(s) (Both @ E-6 & e1), so, we could offer better advice.

The string (action) height, the belly bulge, and the neck angle, are all interdependent factors. If the guitar is setup to your liking out of the box, all is well, If you think you'll have to sand a bunch off the saddle to make it playable for you, it isn't. Your photo does show enough saddle above the bridge, IF the action is playable NOW

Summer humidity is an issue, at least where I live. Days are pushing 50% RH with day temps in the mid 90's. That translates to 75% to almost saturation after sunset with night temps in the mid 70's. That's plenty of water in the air to ruin an unattended acoustic guitar. My point being, high humidity can be responsible for belly bulge. You should also read our sticky on humidity: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=987641

Here's an excellent guide to acoustic setup: http://thbecker.net/guitar_playing/guitars_and_setup/setup_page_01.html

So, read our answers, evaluate your climatic conditions, read the humidity sticky, read the setup guide, and then decide what to do, with, for, or about the guitar.
FretboardToAsh thanks for ur suggestion man, i think the glue on the bridge started to loosen cos there`s white glue coming out from the side of the bridge? but i think i`ll just use the warranty to change the guitar tho :P

CorduroyEW there`s a luthier told me the solid top sld be totally flat but it can be bulge abit along the building process, but for my guitar i think it`s not on building process as u can see the bulge happened on the bass strings side.

Tony Done yup a bit excessive, thanks for agreeing man

Captaincranky the action is fine, but i live in southeast asia and the summer the whole year so i guess i better change the guitar with the dealer when it`s still possible, thanks too man

Thanks guys i really appreciate it!
Last edited by choy82 at Jul 26, 2016,
Quote by choy82

CorduroyEW there`s a luthier told me the solid top sld be totally flat but it can be bulge abit along the building process, but for my guitar i think it`s not on building process as u can see the bulge happened on the bass strings side.

Either you misinterpreted the luthier or the luthier isn't a real luthier. Flat top guitars don't actually have flat tops.

Edit: I am a luthier
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Jul 27, 2016,
while there are a few actual flat topped guitars out there, there are very few. most guitars have some bulge on the top - if your luthier told you otherwise, i'd definitely suggest you find a new luthier asap.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
The simple fact of this is, our TS claims, "it's summer all year where I live". That said, if the average humidity is high as well, TS will be sending guitars back for belly bulge, one after another, until the humidity is controlled in the home
Quote by yamaha
Top and Back Curvature
This feature is not often given much attention, but it is important both for strength and sound in Yamaha guitars. Giving the top a slight outward curve adds strength and allows the use of a thinner top and lighter bracing while optimizing transmission from the strings. The balance between the top's curvature, thickness, and bracing is significant in determining tone. Back curvature also enhances strength while helping to define the overall response and resonance of the body.