Hey guys,

I'm buying a guitar pickup for a friend as a birthday gift. Since I can't afford a new decent guitar, I've decided to give him a pickup so it can be exchanged between guitars in case he upgrade his.

It's a 3 pickup guitar (don't ask me the models etc because I don't know ) and he plays very different styles, like from blues to something more distorted.
The only brand I know it's good is DiMarzio ( I'm more of a piano guy)

Here are my questions
-First, this is a top brand, right?
- Any recommendations for one that is good for both styles?
- Or can someone recommend a good 2 pickup combination?

Thanks
Quote by enrico7879
Hey guys,

I'm buying a guitar pickup for a friend as a birthday gift. Since I can't afford a new decent guitar, I've decided to give him a pickup so it can be exchanged between guitars in case he upgrade his.

It's a 3 pickup guitar (don't ask me the models etc because I don't know ) and he plays very different styles, like from blues to something more distorted.
The only brand I know it's good is DiMarzio ( I'm more of a piano guy)

Here are my questions
-First, this is a top brand, right?
- Any recommendations for one that is good for both styles?
- Or can someone recommend a good 2 pickup combination?

Thanks

1. Yes.
2. Depends on the guitar.
3. Depends on the guitar.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
not to be a rude, but pickups are 't good gifts, they are a very personal thing. you haven't provided us with enough information to even point us in the right direction.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
If your friend is wanting a new pickup your best bet is to let them choose one for themselves of course the element of surprise will be lost but as trashedlostfdup said pickups are very personal only your friend will know what they want.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Yeah I'm going to also recommend looking into other gift ideas. New pickups are fun but very much up to personal taste, and there are many which could be used for many different applications.

I could make some recommendations, but without any more info it would be a shot in the dark.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Just to re-iterate what others have said, a pickup is a terrible gift idea - he'll either have to pay to get it installed or spend his own time doing it, and if he doesn't like it he's snookered. It's difficult enough to give pickup recommendations to a guitarists who have an idea of what they're looking for, it's impossible to do it third hand through someone who knows nothing about them.

Buy him a pedal instead.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Take the money you budgeted on the pickup, and get your friend a gift certificate for his favorite music store.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
If someone was gonna give me a Seymour, a DiMarzio, an EMG...whatever, I wouldn't complain about how it may not be my favorite. Remember, a lot of guitarists formed their sounds by weird circumstances (people giving them shit, accidently plugging stuff into the wrong thing, etc.). Personally, you can't go wrong with a DiMarzio Super Distortion for a humbucker, or a Fast Track if its a single coil, its that simple.
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Jackson/Charvel Star W/ Custom Graphics.
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Tutorial: Studio Quality Programmed Drum Sounds
That IS a valid point.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!