Hey guys! So I'm in the market for a new acoustic guitar and have finally find two that are at a great price point.

My two options are:

Epiphone Dove Pro $130

OR

Martin Lxe (Small-sized) $150

I'm pretty good at haggling hence the low prices but in your wise opinions, which would be the better bang for my buck?

I would love some opinions!!
First of all, at those prices the guitars have to be used or stolen.

Second, why do we need 2 separate threads on the same topic?
Quote by Captaincranky
First of all, at those prices the guitars have to be used or stolen.

Second, why do we need 2 separate threads on the same topic?

I just saw that I posted it twice on accident, it's fixed. And yes they're used, by 'new' I meant new to me. I'm not sure why you took the time to comment when you didn't even answer my question and only tried to be passive aggressive, but thanks anyway!
It most likely would pointless for me to suggest which guitar you should buy, especially in the light of both being used. The name "Martin" somehow annoys me. As a consequence, I would suggest the Epiphone. At which point, insults to my common sense and intellect would rain down from all sides.

If the Epiphone is reasonably new, it's a good product. They've changed OEM, and their new stuff is quite good. On the other hand, nothing makes a guitar sound as good as the name "Martin" on the head stock..

Now since we're dealing with "new to you" guitars, neck angle, saddle height, fret wear, past treatment, and physical condition come into play.

Point being, I don't know shit about these 2 guitars, because you haven't told me anything. Which one do you like? Which one sounds best to you? Which one iss in better condition aesthetically?

Oh, and save the little pouty bits for someone who cares about your feelings. I'm here to try to help by answering coherent questions, in a single thread, not multiple instances of the same nonsense.
Quote by centravanti
yamah f310 anyone? opinion?
Um, would that be for the topic starter or yourself? Because he only has a choice between two other guitars, and I hurt his feelings

The FG-700 is where you should want to be. The -310 is a laminate top, the 700 series are all solid tops. The 3xx series get a "meh", the 700 series get a "yeah".

If the 310 is what you have the money for, it's as good as, or better than, other all laminate guitars in the price class.

I just saw the FG-700s (acoustic only for $169.00 @ Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FIZISQ/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687622&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0002H0KGK&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=B2T161Y35Z39YDFD23W5 That's a steal.

I don't know if the 310 is acoustic electric, do you?
Captaincranky
310 is not electric..
sorry I pointed out the 310 because of the prices he addressed (which I think are pretty low for those guitars)..

btw, I had the opportunity to play the epiphone dove and I didn't liked much the kind of sound, not very warm for my taste (but it's just me)..
Last edited by centravanti at Jul 27, 2016,
Quote by centravanti
btw, I had the opportunity to play the epiphone dove and I didn't liked much the kind of sound, not very warm for my taste (but it's just me)..
The "Dove" is maple and so is bound to be bright. I don't find that to be true of Epiphone's jumbo copy, EJ-200-SCE, which is maple also. But then I have old ears. Maybe some of its brightness gets lost on the way to my brain.

The Epiphone "Hummingbird" which is the same size but mahogany B & S, might be more to your liking.
Quote by Captaincranky
Um, would that be for the topic starter or yourself? Because he only has a choice between two other guitars, and I hurt his feelings

I find it hysterical that you would assume that I'm a male. You didn't hurt my feelings, sir, you only wasted my time. You typed out an entire page, presumably out of boredom and having nothing better to do, only to waste my time. Next time, find another 'guy' to take out your passive aggressive behavior out on, because it's not appreciated here.
Quote by NNAJAFI
...[ ]... Next time, find another 'guy' to take out your passive aggressive behavior out on, because it's not appreciated here.
Here, (rather there), seems like it would better be described as "nowhere"...and best be described as, "gone".

Although, if you are a female troll, that might explain your hypersensitivity. I going to sign off now, and cry myself to sleep....

BTW, did you want to try another thread? You know, something like "best out of three".
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jul 28, 2016,
Tony Done You're trying to bait me into answering that as a stand in for the TS, aren't you?

Well you can't get to me buster! I'm off to download pictures of elves and unicorns to use as wallpaper.

You know, that image has me thinking, I don't know which I'd want more, a puppy unicorn, or a kitten unicorn. It's so peaceful just trying to decide though.

Oh look, it looks like the kit-unicorn is trying to tell us she picks with her claws.
Is there anything more revolting than the cast of "Sex and the City", singing a Helen Reddy song?

You know, I can't recollect ever hearing the atonal improvisational version of "I am woman" before. I think it made the Kitty-corn sad. See how her eyes follow you around the room? She looks dismayed. So sad.

Does Helen Reddy finger pick, strum, do chord melody, or what?

Mercifully, the ole gal is from down your way....
Well you do have this:
sitting right in the middle of Sydney harbor. I'd like to think you'd feel obligated to do something with it.

And FWIW, "I am Woman", strikes me as the national anthem of the island of Lesbos.
It's hard to get the whole deal from just a pic of the opera house. When you see the Sydney Bridge, Circular Key and the opera house together, it is stunning. The interior is impressive too - massive concrete architecture, sort of gothic translated to modern. The way they now project images onto its curves surfaces is pretty good too. Would you call that anamorphic projection? A fitting venue for our great singers, and a few worthy imports.
Quote by Captaincranky
Here, (rather there), seems like it would better be described as "nowhere"...and best be described as, "gone".

Although, if you are a female troll, that might explain your hypersensitivity. I going to sign off now, and cry myself to sleep....

BTW, did you want to try another thread? You know, something like "best out of three".

Wow you're a train wreck, I really thought that this kind of level of immaturity and act of 'blaming it on the estrogen' was reserved for prepubescent teenage boys, but I guess some men get unlucky enough to have that attitude carried on to adulthood. Men like you are (literally) the reason why women are hesitant to even join these sort of forums, what a shame.

and P.S.
Re: your last post. It's 2016.. homophobic remarks are not cute nor are they funny. Grow up, man. Embarrassing.
NNAJAFI You know, I'm left handed and it's a bit hard for me to find guitars, let alone good buys on used instruments. Consequently, I don't own a guitar which cost less than $270.00. Which incidentally, happens to be the price of both the guitars you're looking to buy combined.

As Tony so ably pointed out, it would be very hard to make a concrete decision toward either one, they're so very different.

And since, as you yourself pointed out, "I'm quite the wheeler dealer, or haggler, or whatever." (Something you probably learned shopping in a thrift store), you might be able to get that total even lower than $270.00.

And well, the reality is, you can't go wrong with both, now can you?

So, if my mind was so muddled I couldn't make it up on which one I wanted, I'd just STFU and buy both of them, without any whining, whimpering, or begging in a forum for help with the decision.

Like I said, all I have is cheap guitars, and every one cost more than $270.00.

And since I could abundantly care less what your economic situation, skill level, sonic expectations, or opinion of me is, I'll offer the same suggestion to you.

Hey, buying them both is a shortcut to having no regrets. You can play them according to your moods. Start a couple of identical threads about how happy you are with them, and just change the guitar name in each thread, so nobody can call you on it.
Quote by NNAJAFI
Wow you're a train wreck, I really thought that this kind of level of immaturity and act of 'blaming it on the estrogen' was reserved for prepubescent teenage boys, but I guess some men get unlucky enough to have that attitude carried on to adulthood. Men like you are (literally) the reason why wo
Well, a majority of the members are male. Plus in Romance languages, the male gender takes precedence, as it does in English. Along those lines, if there is no gender attached to the user name, the male takes precedence in accordance with grammatical custom. I've always assumed, (perhaps incorrectly in this case), that "it", was a pronoun used in conjunction with inanimate objects. We have women in this forum I somehow to manage to get along with. So, are we entirely sure the fault rests solely on my shoulders? And if it "does", is it because you say so? Why are you assuming that's important?

Moving along, "El Macho" (male), y , "La Hembra" (female). in Spanish anyway. I can't help but notice you have naught but capital letters in your screen name. Is there any significance to that? For example, if I spelled my screen name CAPTAINCRANKY, would that make people think I'm a self important a**hole? (Or at least more so than they do already)?

Anyway, it's time we return to the art appreciation segment of the program. Herewith le presantamos "Europa and the Bull" by Jean-François de Troy:\

Let me tell you, no one was more disappointed, nay verily crestfallen than I was, when I found out the bull was actually Zeus. I was hoping the bull was a cow, and was about to blurt out, "that's the girl for me". Oh well, c'est la vie.
Quote by Tony Done
It's hard to get the whole deal from just a pic of the opera house. When you see the Sydney Bridge, Circular Key and the opera house together, it is stunning. The interior is impressive too - massive concrete architecture, sort of gothic translated to modern. The way they now project images onto its curves surfaces is pretty good too. Would you call that anamorphic projection? A fitting venue for our great singers, and a few worthy imports.

An "anamorphic" lens is one which magnifies at different ratios at different areas of its field. "Cinemascope" @ 2:35 to 1:00 is one example of practical application.

I would think there are any number of subjects which one would want to stay away from, when trying to project reality onto those wildly curving walls.. However, when I was searching for a straight image of the building, I found a huge quantity of very cool and elaborate projected images which did work splendidly, to great effect.

Here's the anamorphic process as it relates mostly to Cinemascope: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anamorphic_format It's a visual sort of analog to the Dolby process, "compress when recording, expand on playback".

I imagine you could design lenses with varying magnification across the field to compensate for the "bent projection screen", but it sounds like a lens designer's nightmare. Usually they're shooting for a flat plane of focus and equal magnification across the field.

Although, if the curves are are the same, just at different scales, that would mean you'd only need to have lens design for the all projectors.