Hey Folks,
a friend gave me his behringer Xenyx Qx1002 Usb interface and a neat rode microphone. We used to record some songs at his place with audacity, and it turned out quite nice, but I've got a huge problem with the hissing noises. Can someone give me some advice on how to decrease that as good as possible?
I'm already sayin' thank you for any kind of help!
Hissing can come from all kinds of different places. However, the most common culprit - especially when you're looking at people new to recording using entry-level gear - is bad gain-staging.

No, I am not dissing on Behringer. I've used a lot of their gear, and it is very usable. However, while there is not a big difference between Behringer and Mackie and the lower end Focusrite stuff and all that, there IS a big difference between those and higher-end preamps.

Here is where your problem is - probably....

By cranking the input gain on the interface you are introducing a little bit of hiss to the chain. Then, a lot of people compress it, which boosts the hiss even further. A lot of people crank the input gain on the preamp because they think they need to record as hot as possible without clipping. While this was true in the days of tape, in the digital age - especially in 24 bits - you can make a nice clean, quiet recording with most of your program data coming in around -20db on your meters and with peaks coming in around -12.

This means you can probably turn the gain down on your preamp a lot more than you thought you could.

Other ways of turning down the input gain on the interface:
- adjust the volume of the source
- move the microphone closer to what you are recording

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Also, make sure you are using balanced XLR cables to connect your mic to your interface. If you are recording electric guitars, youll want to keep them away from monitors, fader lights, computer towers, other electronics ect, because they all add noise/buzzing/hissing. If you are recording acoustic guitars, it will be hard to get a good clean noiseless recording because you usually need to boost the gain a good amount to get a hot-ish signal. So as mentioned above, you will want to try to keep your mic close to your acoustic and then maybe cut some of the low end boom with EQ
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

If your recording already has the hiss on it there isn't a lot you can do to get rid of it without significantly altering the tone of the recording or track. Hiss and hum are something you look for before you start recording and eliminate them at the source. Even the best pro recording studios have to be on the look out for hiss and hum before the record button is engaged. If there was no hiss from the amps or guitars when you were playing you need to track down the source going through each piece of your recording chain because once you have it recorded you pretty much have to live with it. In the old analog days it was customary to record at times with the high end EQ turned up a bit higher than necessary then attenuate (turn down) the high end when mixing which gave the instruments the correct EQ while reducing the hiss. As mentioned, digital recording is a different story. Since you are not dealing with analog tape hiss check to see that the hiss isn't coming from your computers sound card or interface and not from the actual recording. Like others I use Behringer products quite often and find them fairly clean, reliable and cost effective for many situations. .
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
There is a vst in Reaper, called "ReaFir", that has a substract option. It takes a sample of the noise, and removes it, so, and as long as the hissing isn´t brutally noisy, kiss your problem goodbye