No drugs, those are brain trips.
---
News reported that brain games may cut the risk for dementia.

What kind of tricks do you use to keep your mind sharp?

Example
144*15 is pretty difficult for mental math.

However, 72*30 is much nicer and equals the same thing.

72 = 144/2
30 = 15*2
144*15 = 72*2*15 = 72*(2*15) = 72*30.

Then, using the 0's trick (72*30 = 72*3 with an extra 0 at the end), it's a lot easier to get 2160 as the answer.

Your turn
Glad to cross paths with you on this adventure called life
Quote by Jet Penguin
lots of flirting with the other key without confirming. JUST LIKE THEIR LOVE IN THE MOVIE OH DAMN.
Quote by Hail
you're acting like you have perfect pitch or something
if pro is opposite of con

what is opposite

of progress

make u think
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
I did some n-back things with a spreadsheet for a while with nootropics/supplements, but I think the improvements were mainly in part due to the whole 'practice makes perfect' thing. I also heard from various sources like /r/Nootropics that those basic games aren't as great for spatial awareness/working memory/etc as more advanced games like Portal/etc. Interesting though
I also highly recommend this interview in general:

It's a long watch, but highly interesting and entertaining throughout. There's a part in it that talks about the benefits of making pronounced, aware movements to improve your brain connections and whatnot (so if you're drinking water for example, you reach out for it far with a pronounced, focused grab or something)

Last edited by Fat Lard at Jul 26, 2016,
No games, but reading increasingly difficult things is where it's at.

Or doing math of various kinds*

*not jrcsgtpeppers math, either
Quote by Skibolky
No one can really fuck with the power of empathy.
Reading raw versions of 19th century philosophy is a challenge in itself. So much specific, dense language. Really grandiose though.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Fat Lard
What's your favorite link?

Skimming the second video (two hours for the first?!), it seems like the method puts an emphasis on doing things very consciously, which is probably a good idea in general.

Aeolian Harmony and EpiExplorer
Teach me your ways, Charles Dickens puts me to sleep :')
Last edited by NeoMvsEu at Jul 26, 2016,
I read a lot and I do a couple of crossword puzzles and sudokus every week. I'm also in the process of learning a few languages.
cat
I also recommend Guitar Hero Live if anyone's ever played the original games (tried it out not too long ago and was thinking about things like this lol). The unlocked songs didn't seem as good as the older ones, but the new controller having 6 buttons (2 sets of 3 buttons), open string plucks, and other additions made learning/playing it fun. Forcing your brain to think/do things in different ways is usually good for brains learnings

Quote by NeoMvsEu
Fat Lard
What's your favorite link?

Skimming the second video (two hours for the first?!), it seems like the method puts an emphasis on doing things very consciously, which is probably a good idea in general.

Looks like it was more n-back things (but app versions), something called FlickDot (maybe this one, as I remember the site: http://www.puzzle.dse.nl/tests/index_us.html ), and something called TestMyBrain lol.

Good watch tho
guitarxo I do Kakuro, which is like crosswords but with addition of numbers instead. What languages are you learning, and how are you getting to learn them?

-------

Fat Lard It was fun completely failing "Through the Fire and the Flames" on GH3 (? I think, never owned it however), but I see what you mean by changes in thinking patterns doing good.

I'll watch when I have over two hours of time. I'll look into the apps, thanks
In regards to philo, I've found that, especially where more structural theories are considered, making mental diagrams/chains of "reactions" helps a lot. It's also a good way to spot fallacies in people's theories because the "it does not follow" starts to scream when that happens as writers can no longer take things as given or granted.

I mean the reading difficulty thing seems to generally be more a problem of A: translation and poor resulting syntax or B: frequent referencing to theories and writers whom the author presumes the reader to know of.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Last edited by Banjocal at Jul 26, 2016,
Quote by NeoMvsEu

Aeolian Harmony and EpiExplorer
Teach me your ways, Charles Dickens puts me to sleep :')

The key is try to imagine and visualise the author presenting it as a speech, gesticulations, voice and all. Read it slowly and at a time when you're relaxed but not tired.

Try this for some light reading, the main meat begins at page 44:

http://www.inp.uw.edu.pl/mdsie/Political_Thought/GeneologyofMorals.pdf
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
Last edited by EpiExplorer at Jul 26, 2016,
Quote by EpiExplorer
if pro is opposite of con

what is opposite

of progress

Trump
I listen to running thirds
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Quote by EpiExplorer
The key is try to imagine and visualise the author presenting it as a speech, gesticulations, voice and all. Read it slowly and at a time when you're relaxed but not tired.

Try this for some light reading, the main meat begins at page 44:

http://www.inp.uw.edu.pl/mdsie/Political_Thought/GeneologyofMorals.pdf
I think philosophy is an easier read than historical fiction à la Dickens.

After page 3 of Hard Times, I figured that life there was tough.

Then they put me through a hard time.

Quote by Pastafarian96
I listen to running thirds

How do thirds run? Do they have shoes?
Last edited by NeoMvsEu at Jul 26, 2016,
Quote by NeoMvsEu
Fat Lard It was fun completely failing "Through the Fire and the Flames" on GH3 (? I think, never owned it however), but I see what you mean by changes in thinking patterns doing good.

I'll watch when I have over two hours of time. I'll look into the apps, thanks

noob

But yeah, it took a lot of practice and effort just to get that song down
NeoMvsEu
F33-A37 is 6.9 bps
C#41-F45 is 11.6 bps
Need to cram 7 more thirds into that and make them fit perfectly so that the bps moves in a special ascending order
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day