I have a Traynor 100 watt tube head. I got it used a few months ago and haven't replaced the tubes yet. I played a festival show Saturday, outside where it was 100 degress F in the shade. After ten minutes, my amp just stopped working. I had a back up solid state and finished the show with that but now it's a few days later and the amp seems to be functional again. Any ideas why?
Rig:
'91 Eric Clapton strat w/ MT-2 preamp and piezo bridge system

Lotus '62 Strat replica
Epiphone Sheraton w/ Pearly Gates Pups
Epiphone Sheraton STOCK
Epiphone Tom Delonge ES-333

Epiphone EJ-200CE

Traynor YCV40T
Traynor HEAD
It most likely overheated and the circuit was temporarily shut off, but is still functional and not broken. I've had no experience with Traynor but ENGL heads do the same. If it's something else, it'll depend on the model of the amp.
The above post is in terms of 'YMMV' and 'IMO', etc...

Quote by Offworld92
This debate is exhausting to read.
The guitar world is drowned in fairy dust.
We need to start at the very beginning. What is tone.
what specific amp?

I think that it could have been a thermo shutdown, as 2crosser said, but the specific amp needs to be known.

If I am ever playing out doors in hot weather, i always bring a little fan to keep air moving.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
The amp is a Traynor YCS 100H2 and I had it running through a power conditioner.
Rig:
'91 Eric Clapton strat w/ MT-2 preamp and piezo bridge system

Lotus '62 Strat replica
Epiphone Sheraton w/ Pearly Gates Pups
Epiphone Sheraton STOCK
Epiphone Tom Delonge ES-333

Epiphone EJ-200CE

Traynor YCV40T
Traynor HEAD
First of all, I hate you for getting me interested in this badass head. I've never heard of it before.

Secondly, from what I can see of the owner's manual, it never specifies a thermal system, however it wouldn't continue working with the auto tube matching feature I don't think. I still say that some sort of high temperature shutdown is the most likely scenario, but checking tubes has never hurt anyone (I'm not familiar with the 'DC filaments' it specifies for the 12AX7s). However, take this with a grain of salt, I've never even heard of this beast until today.
The above post is in terms of 'YMMV' and 'IMO', etc...

Quote by Offworld92
This debate is exhausting to read.
The guitar world is drowned in fairy dust.
We need to start at the very beginning. What is tone.
IMO for stuff like that, if you can, try and always get amp heads in the shade - it actually counts for a lot in stupid hot places where you're doing gigs. I bet it was an annoying scenario though o.o
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Quote by bizkitday4eva
The amp is a Traynor YCS 100H2 and I had it running through a power conditioner.

"Power Conditioner?" What "power conditioner," specifically? It may very well have been your power conditioner that actually turned off your amp.

I used to get crap from bandmates about what I bring along for outdoor gigs (particularly those powered by a generator and stuck on the back of a flatbed somewhere). I have a Carvin AC120, which does two things I really like (in addition to "power conditioner" duties): it tells me what the actual voltage of the mains are (some amps will shut down if the voltage drops below a minimum) and it boots up all of the gear plugged into it...sequentially. You can set the interval between the individual plugs going active, but it saves gear (and breakers) from surges.

And I have a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply). It's a big and heavy thing designed for server farms and has a lead-acid battery inside the size of a sedan car battery. Its job is to maintain clean power to the power conditioner at a steady minimum voltage. If the voltage dips, it kicks in. If the power drops off altogether, it kicks in. Power conditioners can't bring the voltage up in brown-out conditions. But the UPS can. There have been a few times when the only ones making noise were the drummer and I. Breakers had flipped on the generators, but I still had power. A bit embarrassing ("where'd everyone go?").

If the venue was smart enough to get a couple of those porta-cool units with the big hoses running cool air, one of them usually got aimed at my gear and one into a fan that was aimed at me. When I could request one, I did.
Also contact traynor, I have talked to them about a couple of different amps and they are good at getting back to you with answers.