Page 1 of 3
So I have been anti rape jokes for a very long time... I guess my entire life because I'm pretty sure there was no period of time after I found out rape jokes were a thing did I think they were okay.

As I get older though, I start to understand humor, and I start to appreciate the use of controversial subjects in humor. I've started to understand why things are funny, and why controversial jokes are just that: jokes. But still I find myself very much against rape jokes still.

And then I heard this perspective (starts at 10:26, forgot UG doesn't let you go to a specific time):

It occurred to me that I had never even thought of a rape joke as being just a joke. I thought of them as an entirely different thing, something that should never happen.

After hearing his thoughts, I've started to question what the difference between a rape joke and a dead baby joke is? Or a racist joke? Or any controversial joke?

TL;DR - I turn to you pit for different perspectives on rape jokes.
Last edited by ehbacon at Jul 26, 2016,
This is going to go well
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Well Conan had some funny rape jokes in the video of him dining with Jordan Schlansky

WHAT A
HORRIBLE
NIGHT TO
HAVE A
CURSE.
I don't have a problem with any kind of joke, unless it's lazy and unfunny. Also, there's a difference between a joke where rape is involved in the punchline, and one where it IS the punchline. But that just goes back to the whole lazy thing.
The term you're looking for is 'dark humor'. Some people are into it, some aren't. All that matters is if you know it's wrong, you don't have to try to prove it by not finding a joke funny.

That said, some comedians are just really bad at it, which is dumb and just makes it an even hotter controversy than it already is.
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Quote by ElMaco
Well Conan had some funny rape jokes in the video of him dining with Jordan Schlansky
I watch this vid and other Schlansky vids from time to time. Never gets old.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/mike-ward-verdict-1.3688089
http://jezebel.com/5794709/comedian-fined-15k-for-insulting-lesbian-couple

That's what I think about offensive jokes in general. They DESERVE to lose that much money for making HORRIBLE jokes.

I get a good laugh out of hilarious jokes like, "what do you call a pig that does karate?"

"A PORK CHOP"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
some are funny

some aren't
Quote by ElMaco

this never gets old
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by Xiaoxi
I watch this vid and other Schlansky vids from time to time. Never gets old.

Yeah Schlansky vids really are the best. I have watched them all
WHAT A
HORRIBLE
NIGHT TO
HAVE A
CURSE.
Tbf drunk Conan slayed him lmao.
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
Jokes are jokes ya know, they just gotta be good.

"Every day I wonder how many things I am dead wrong about."
Any and all jokes that hurt people's feelings are bad mmkay.
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
It depends on what the punchline is, IMO. If your punchline revolves around mocking rape victims for getting raped, you've crossed the line.
Free Ali
Quote by ElMaco

Fuck......I remember when Conan was funny
See I think people who say "there's NOTHING wrong with rape jokes" are just as bad as the "rape jokes are NEVER funny" crowd. False dichotomy. Comedy is about knowing your audience, good comedy is subtle and nuanced, not a hard and fast formula. Just because you're OK with rape jokes now doesn't mean everyone should be. And just because you're triggered by them doesn't mean they should be banned. It's a case by case thing.
i think they're dumb but that's mainly cause the vast majority of them come out sounding like this

After having done stand-up for 2 years, I think this guy does a great job explaining the idea comics are attempting to get across.

Humor - by definition - highlights the unpopular idea as expressed by a personal, mental, or physical reaction by the recipient. The jokes you tell don't need to induce crippling hilarity in people that result in constant uproars of laughter like Robin Williams discussing oral sex after 50 minutes of warm-up material. It places a sense of thought and severity on an actual issue - that's been displayed to you through an unconventional or uncommon medium.

Most of my material spawned from things that were prevalent to my life at the time - eating disorders, suicide, and pitfalls of dating around 30. Comedy helped me communicate those struggles to individuals from an uncommon standpoint, using an uncommon medium, and viewpoint that highlighted uncommon opinions of the topic.

If evaluating effectiveness - I'd honestly say that discussing these issues (1 sided) through a comedic medium provided a fresh viewpoint to people who had previously not completely considered the idea. I received more thought provoking ideas by communicating my thoughts this way, than through stating "Suicide isn't an answer, eating disorders are a problem, and dating is hilarious".
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance - Confucius
this dude sucks but that was dead on
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
There is nothing wrong with rape jokes, they are jokes. Not meant to be taken seriously.
Everybody Dies
Ignorance is NOT just what you DO NOT know but what you WILL NOT know

MY Soundcloud
Tears for toda la alegría que teníamos
Tears for todo el dolor
Las lágrimas de invierno que llevan dentro
Siempre gritar tu nombre
Estas lágrimas de invierno , voy a llorar por ti
Estas lágrimas de invierno , son solamente para usted
Quote by AllJudasPriest
There is nothing wrong with rape jokes, they are jokes. Not meant to be taken seriously.

Sorry but this is fucked up, we SHOULD take rape jokes very seriously. Just because they are jokes doesn't mean it's okay for them to rape
Last edited by gonzaw at Jul 27, 2016,
pretty much been said already, but its not that jokes involving rape are inherently unfunny, its that the vast majority are uninspired and unfunny because its a bad joke drawing on shock value.

like, id hardly even call it a joke when your supposed punchline just involves a loud statement that includes the word "rape"
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Depends on how much the person telling them thinks that it's a joke and portrays that really
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Quote by gonzaw
Sorry but this is fucked up, we SHOULD take rape jokes very seriously. Just because they are jokes doesn't mean it's okay for them to rape
You think because I do not find rape jokes offensive, I am somehow excusing the actions of rapists? We should take the action of rape very seriously, of course, but jokes are jokes. You laugh or you do not and then life goes on. Not sure how this is not understood.
Everybody Dies

MY Soundcloud
Tears for todo el dolor
Siempre gritar tu nombre
I'll never ever let someone tell me what I think is funny, is not funny. If the time and place is right and the context is sound I'll chortle, guffaw and knee slap thank you..

In saying that...farts will always be funny hue hue hue
Quote by Pastafarian96
Depends on how much the person telling them thinks that it's a joke and portrays that really

well that's with any joke. If a kkk member said "what's the difference between a black person and a bench? A bench can support a family" we wouldn't find it funny.
Quote by ehbacon
well that's with any joke. If a kkk member said "what's the difference between a black person and a bench? A bench can support a family" we wouldn't find it funny.

My point exactly
Also
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Quote by ehbacon
I would
Or if someone said, "How many police officers does it take to screw in a light bulb? None, they would just shoot and beat the room for being black."
Or if someone said, "Why do women get yeast infections? So they would know what it's like to live with an irritating cunt!"
Or if someone said, "Jesus is up on the stake and he calls out "Peter, come to me". So Peter tries to walk up and is stopped by the Romans who bar his way. He turns to walk away and again Jesus says "Peter, come to me" a huge fight ensues but Peter wins and crawls, bloodied, up to Jesus feet and says, 'Yes master?" and Jesus says "Peter! Peter!I can see you house from up here!"
Everybody Dies

MY Soundcloud
Tears for todo el dolor
Siempre gritar tu nombre
Quote by AllJudasPriest
You think because I do not find rape jokes offensive, I am somehow excusing the actions of rapists? We should take the action of rape very seriously, of course, but jokes are jokes. You laugh or you do not and then life goes on. Not sure how this is not understood.

Sorry, this won't do. I have a friend who was abused by a joke once. A rape joke might be a joke, but it also rapes, that's not cool.
Rape jokes should go to jail not be praised.
Quote by AllJudasPriest
I would
Ok but if a KKK member specifically walked up to you and made that joke...

To clarify, you wouldn't because you're not racist.
Quote by snipelfritz

Last edited by Joshua Garcia at Jul 27, 2016,
Depends on the joke. I've watched some comedians turn it into a positive. Margaret Cho especially has a really good grasp of how to use them to benefit people rather than just to make fun of rape victims for being raped.
Last edited by ali.guitarkid7 at Jul 27, 2016,
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Ok nobody is praising them. But as I said in my previous post, if you know rape is wrong then you don't have to prove it by being offended by rape jokes.

The thing about it is, you're choosing to find it offensive. That's understandable, but that doesn't make the joke offensive. That's just how you chose to interpret it (which again, is fine. Don't listen to the joke). But there's really no reason for you to advocate against it because it's not promoting anything. Advocating against it just becomes an argument of justifying why you're personally offended rather than what makes the joke offensive. It's a loop not worth going through. It'd be easier if you just ignore it.

It's not for me to say whether rape jokes are okay or not, it's the jury's duty to say so after the joke has a fair trial.
I mean, it's not that the rape joke is "offensive", surely he had his twisted reasons for being a rape joke. But this is cultural man, we can't allow jokes to be out in the open raping other jokes. We have joke laws for a reason
All things are Black and White with no In-between Whatsoever.

Life is not hard;
You won’t have to struggle.
As long as you listen,
You’ll have nothing to juggle.

Take great care, of those,
Who would lead you astray.
With thoughts, and perversions,
To ruin your day.

“Well what about this?”
She’ll ramble and drone.
Shhh, beware knack,
For nuance and tone.

Don’t think, don’t feel,
Just switch yourself off,
Safe in the knowledge,
That you’ll be better off.

For life has no truth,
Except black or white.
Two shades, no colour,
That’s enough, now fight.
Quote by Mr E Meat
this is your brain

this is your brain on RT

Quote by Standard_A440
Given that you reside in the shade of the natural light of reason, I will defer doing your homework to you.
Quote by gonzaw
It's not for me to say whether rape jokes are okay or not, it's the jury's duty to say so after the joke has a fair trial.
I mean, it's not that the rape joke is "offensive", surely he had his twisted reasons for being a rape joke. But this is cultural man, we can't allow jokes to be out in the open raping other jokes. We have joke laws for a reason
Youre a cheeky one, m8.
Quote by snipelfritz

I don't like Ricky Gervais' stand up too much but he once did a truly hilarious joke about child molesting. I didn't think that was possible.
Last edited by EyeNon15 at Jul 27, 2016,
Rape joke offense is pure politics, the anti rape joke people never get outraged at jokes about other trauma, unless they are about a political issue.
Last edited by EyeNon15 at Jul 27, 2016,
Quote by EyeNon15
the anti rape joke people never get outraged at jokes about other trauma

You are so ignorant.
Yeah, it's dark humour, and it's really hard to get it right....about 99% of the comedic profession get it wrong.

I went to a comedy night a few weeks ago, and there was this one guy who pretty much just made dead baby jokes and jokes about bashing up his kids for the entire time....it was awful and hardly anyone laughed. But the rest of the performers were able to talk about taboo topics by utilising good timing and inflection.....it's a really hard balance to strike.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
Page 1 of 3