Whats up everybody, I just joined this site. I'm looking for some input on my setup. Something to add or take off, to get better tone. I don't know anyone who is good with gear so if anyone can help me that would be great.

Guitar- ESP LTD 401

Amp-Cr120
Cabs-PPC212OB, Ibanez IS412CA

Pedals- BOSS Tuner, TC electronic Distortion, Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah, Mxr Carbon Copy, Mxr Phase 90, Ehx Big Muff
Last edited by zooyork328 at Jul 26, 2016,
You need a new amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I would
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
any suggestions?
keep it and just buy another?
How about the cabs I have?
I don't know the Ibby cab but the fact that it has Ibby speakers is worrying.
I'd sell it and the CR and use that to finance a good head.
So we need budget, genres played and your location before any recommendations can be offered
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Ok thanks. Genres are pretty much just classic rock, and alternative rock. Budget would be anything under 1,000. I am just a bedroom rocker at the moment. I am located in upstate NY. Thanks again.
A Marshall dsl or a Peavey Classic are the first things that come to mind
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I'd look at Fender, Vox and Carvin amps for that. Their amps will deliver the tone without breaking the bank.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Or you could go another way and buy a decent modeller. An Atomic Amplifier is a good one. High end modelling at Pod prices ($600). That would leave you $400 for a power amp to drive the PPC. Or even sell the PPC too and buy a nice powered wedge, you wouldn't need it any more.
http://atomicamps.com/amplifire-pedal/
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jul 27, 2016,
Yeah there's a lot of directions to go.

Any bands in particular? There's a wide range of tones within rock.

The JCM2000 DSLs are usually a good bet, but there's also Mesas, Peaveys, Carvin, EVH, Budda, etc. point being that there are a ton of options, more info about your taste in tone can help filter out a lot of it.

Think about some guitar sounds you really like.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
I'd look at Fender, Vox and Carvin amps for that. Their amps will deliver the tone without breaking the bank.
AC30C2's and AC30CC2's can be found for quite a bit under the $1k mark and still get great results. My suggestion is that. They will do classic and alt rock with glee. If you are needing metal though you may need some outboard assistance. http://newyork.craigslist.org/search/msa?query=ac30

You'll have plenty money left over to play around with (to maybe put a Celestion Blue in if it does not come with) and to also invest in a mover's dolly cart.
Quote by Cathbard
Or you could go another way and buy a decent modeller. An Atomic Amplifier is a good one. High end modelling at Pod prices ($600). That would leave you $400 for a power amp to drive the PPC. Or even sell the PPC too and buy a nice powered wedge, you wouldn't need it any more.
http://atomicamps.com/amplifire-pedal/
Is this your first time suggesting a modeller? If so, this is big news on UG!
Last edited by Will Lane at Jul 27, 2016,
I bought one myself.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I'm pretty much just looking for the best all around rock amp. I don't play metal so anything that works best for hard and classic rock (Pink Floyd).
Personally I think your orange cab and head should rock all the tones you want.

I see that the cr120 doesn't get a lot of love around here but I have to believe that the amp has a lot of potential. I have the Crush 35rt and for a small amp it rocks. I've been nothing but impressed with it, when its turned up. I bought the amp for bedroom use but it doesn't really sound great until its turned up, so it doesn't do what I want. Is that maybe an issue you're having, I wonder how SS amps do overall at lower volumes?

A good tube amp with both preamp and power amp volume controls should do you good for bedroom use. My preferences have been Blackstar and Jet City.
'16 Gibson LP Standard T, '95 Fender MIM Strat
Helix Rack, Jetcity JCA50H w/ JCA24s+
zooyork, I think the first question I would ask is what is it about your current setup that you aren't happy with? Aside from the Ibanez cab all of the gear seems pretty quality, even the SS head seems to be a higher end one - although I have no experience with it. but knowing what you think is lacking would help to direct you in the right direction for a new purchase.
I'm not unhappy with it. I am just looking for advice to improve it, along with the pedals I own.
Quote by DirtFarmer
Personally I think your orange cab and head should rock all the tones you want.

A good tube amp with both preamp and power amp volume controls should do you good for bedroom use. My preferences have been Blackstar and Jet City.

Wholeheartedly agree - I'll just add one, because well... I always do.

I've had a Tiny Terror and 1x12 cab for well over 6 years now. It's loud enough to gig with, quiet enough at home. It can do a lot despite being a three knob one trick pony. Jet City, Orange Low Watts, or the HT-5, even an Egnator - and you should be good to go. I agree with the aforementioned.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Last edited by Jonny Ryan Mac at Jul 27, 2016,
Expanding on my earlier quick note, I'd suggest (depending on budget, new/used & desired tones):

Carvin V3Mc
Carvin Vintage 16
Carvin Nomad
Carvin Belaire
Fender HRD
Fender Bassbreaker
Vox AC15
Vox AC30
Orange Tiny Terror
Orange TH 30
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Do you like the amp you have? Do you have it dialed in so it sounds good? If you do why listen to people who have nothing to do all day but criticize other people's stuff. Just play your guitar man.
Criticise? He asked for suggestions and we tried to help him. So go blow me.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification