I have a Squier Venus. It has a basswood body with maple neck and rosewood fingerboard; a pup in neck position and a bucker in bridge. There's a volume knob but no tone control. It's quite a simple but great sounding guitar. The problem is: the bucker is a bit too bright for my taste! Great for surfer rock, not so good for rock.

I looked into a few Duncans - like the Invader, Pegasus, Dimebucker, Fullshred - but I'm still not sure which one to get, if any of these at all. Can anyone recommend a Duncan bucker that can do the job? I'd like the guitar to sound more warm, more bass driven and, when needed, dirtier. I play rock, grunge and some metal (think Nirvana, Silverchair, Deftones and System of a Down)
First, let us examine the foundation of your tone: what amp do you have?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
A good start would be what ^danny said and tell us what type of amp you own. Second, look up the gear of your favorite bands. Figure out the sound you want the most. Obviously we're here to help with this, though, so just start with the amp.
I forgot to add amp info to my previous post. My bad.

I have a Peavey valveking 50. For distortion I either go for my Big Muff or my Pisdiyauwot (the latter if I want more oomph). Havent't figured out how to stack both pedals up yet. But I guess that's another topic and issue on its own.

I've looked up gear like you recommended and found some of the following pickups being mentioned: Dimarzio super distortion, Dimarzio PAF, Duncan distortion and EMG active pickups. Not a fan of active pups as that would mean adding a battery pocket to the guitar.

But like I said, my aim is to make the guitar sound a bit less bright, i.e. more appropriate for rock music.
The Dimarzio Breed is a good choice if you want a warmer, fatter tone. You probably want to discount the Duncan Distortion as that's a relatively bright pickup. For a Duncan the Custom custom is probably closest to what you're looking for.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
The Dimarzio Breed is a good choice if you want a warmer, fatter tone. You probably want to discount the Duncan Distortion as that's a relatively bright pickup. For a Duncan the Custom custom is probably closest to what you're looking for.

Thanks for the tip! Appreciate it. I believe I saw someone selling a 2nd hand pair of Breeds on a local ad site