Im wondering what to put into my epi flying V, seymore duncan Jb or Custom for playing punk rock?

Cheers guys
What type of punk and into which amp?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Im playing something thats kinda like US bombs, and Rancid even a bit of NOFX. I am using a Orange or120.
JB
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I'd go for the Custom. It is tighter than the JB, which I think of more as an 80s hard rock pickup, which is a much, much different sound.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
The JB is less PAF like. They work really well for that type of punk too. JB's get used for a lot more than 80's metal you know.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
True, but they are really really good at it. Classic or 90s punk is closer to the Custom, which is closer to a PAF with a lot more output. Tighter and not as 'honky' in the mids.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
Either would work fine. For the type of music that you want to play specifically, regarding band choices, I'd lean toward the Custom 5. The only reason being (and I'm brushing pretty broad and loose here as I don't know what pups they were exactly using) that it is close to the Gibson 498T which would be the type of pickup that Rancid and NOFX might be using with their Les Paul guitars.

The JB would be more along the lines of Billie Joe Armstrong's 'Blue' strat from the 90's.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
^ I'm not sure the custom 5 is that close to the 498t? It's a bit scooped while the 498t has the mids bumped up a bit I think. It's also a fair bit hotter than the 498t.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The only thing that really sounds like a 498t is a 498t. The Custom 5 is close in regards to specs on paper, but certainly not a clone. It's a bit scooped (or maybe the 498T is mid humped - all a matter of perspective) and a bit thicker. They're both around 14k with A5 mags. Goes to show that you can get a lot of variation from a pickup due to winding and other aspects of construction.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
The Custom 5 is a seriously scooped pickup compared to the most pickups. Tons of highs and lows, but very little mids. It works in a seriously middy guitar I have.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
^ yeah it's scooped to a fault, really- i like it for rhythm tones (and it's very versatile) but i'm less keen on it for lead.

Quote by ThunderPunk
The only thing that really sounds like a 498t is a 498t. The Custom 5 is close in regards to specs on paper, but certainly not a clone. It's a bit scooped (or maybe the 498T is mid humped - all a matter of perspective) and a bit thicker. They're both around 14k with A5 mags. Goes to show that you can get a lot of variation from a pickup due to winding and other aspects of construction.

yeah to my ears the 498t sounds like a middy but not too hot pickup- kind of like a much tamer JB (ish).

I thought gibson specced the 498t as being more like 10k, though? it doesn't feel to me anywhere near as hot as a custom (granted the dc resistance only tells you so much, it's not the whole story).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Dave_Mc

I think that it's the 490T that is rated around 10k.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Dave_Mc

Also says the 500T has 11.6 output. That would mean a JB is significantly hotter than a 500T. I was under the impression that the 500T was in the 15k - 16k range.

http://store.gibson.com/500t-super-ceramic-humbucker/

I'm confused. But, that's not unusual.
well, not necessarily, since the wire gauge affects the resistance and you can only really compare resistances when the wire gauge is the same- plus the 500T has a ceramic magnet which is more powerful as well. But I agree with you, I wouldn't be surprised there's a mistake on the Gibson website there: http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2016/USA/Explorer.aspx looking at that it says the 500T has a 15.5k Ohm output.

and here (I should've looked here sooner ) it says the 498T is around 14k: http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2016/USA/SG-Standard.aspx

yeah i dunno what's going on there.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?