Hey peeps, been playing guitar for about 20 years, but I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to pedals, have got my pedal board sorted but I've no clue when it comes to what order they should be in, or if it even matters? Anyway I'm using : Tuner, Ehx Mel9, Boss Chorus, Digitech Whammy, Behringer Noise gate and a Behringer Wah. Any help much appreciated

Edit: thought I'd better add, the tuner, Mel9 and whammy are plug powered, the rest are battery
Last edited by TheBigJorkowski at Jul 27, 2016,
Does your amp have an effects loop?

You should generally run the guitar straight into the tuner. I would put the Whammy and wah after the tuner, the order shouldn't matter. I would run the gate after these, and then go into the front of the amp. If you have an effects loop I would run the chorus in there, followed by the Mel9.

Not certain about the Mel9 as I have never used one but everything else I'm fairly certain on.

You can experiment to a degree. Like you may get a more desirable sound putting the gate before the wah, for example. But the only thing I would suggest as a definite is run the tuner first, and the modulation/delays last or in the loop if possible.
Quote by TheBigJorkowski
Hey peeps, been playing guitar for about 20 years, but I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to pedals, have got my pedal board sorted but I've no clue when it comes to what order they should be in, or if it even matters? Anyway I'm using : Tuner, Ehx Mel9, Boss Chorus, Digitech Whammy, Behringer Noise gate and a Behringer Wah. Any help much appreciated

Edit: thought I'd better add, the tuner, Mel9 and whammy are plug powered, the rest are battery
Firstly, invest in a PSU, either something as cheap as a 1-Spot or an Isolated Power Brick like the Voodoo Labs. It will save you money in the long run, make your pedals more reliable, and will prevent any undesirable "dying battery" sounds. Make sure you get the proper power ratings for your units. Check here if you do not know how to do that.

Tuner > Noise Gate > Mel9 > Whammy > Wah > Chorus
Try the wah 1st then the tuner. I do this with my Cry Baby as it works better, & the tuner still tracks fine. It may work for you, it may not, but it can't hurt to try
My Gear:- A guitar, a guitar lead, a guitar amplifier. Or sometimes just an acoustic guitar!
Quote by anguskilminster
Try the wah 1st then the tuner. I do this with my Cry Baby as it works better, & the tuner still tracks fine. It may work for you, it may not, but it can't hurt to try

one good thing with having the tuner in front is that most are buffered bypass, so you will have less high end loss (assuming the wah is true bypass).

i second the 1spot, cheap and will get you far enough. better than batteries.

i would personally replace the behringer stuff. it isn't doing you any favors.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup

i would personally replace the behringer stuff. it isn't doing you any favors.

Seconded. This stuff probably won't last long, going by my experience, and may well crap out on you at the worst time.
Quote by luke.g.henderso
Seconded. This stuff probably won't last long, going by my experience, and may well crap out on you at the worst time.

that is always when it seems to happen lol.

you can probably find a dunlop crybaby for maybe even under $30, it isn't my choice of wah, but it will certainly be better than the behringer.

regarding the noise supressor, i am sure there is something out there better than the behringer for not a whole lot more cash.

your tone will thank you.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/