Page 1 of 17
y no thread? Starts in a week!

Schedule:

Participating nations & athletes (scroll down a bit, click on country to see athletes): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Summer_Olympics#Participating_National_Olympic_Committees

List of broadcasters by country: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_2016_Summer_Olympics_broadcasters

Official site: https://www.rio2016.com/en
Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Summer_Olympics
Last edited by sam b at Aug 3, 2016,
Starting an Olympic thread on a Russian website.

Ballsy.
My old signature was too long. Have a daisy.

I gonna miss a lot of it this time around and it bums me out. Love the Olympics

They should probably stop picking 3rd world countries to host it though
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Jul 27, 2016,
Quote by RAB11
Starting an Olympic thread on a Russian website.

Ballsy.

They havent been banned totally, at least? Disaster averted.

There have been 108 Russians banned from next month's Olympics so far, including 67 out of 68 from the athletics team.

#scenes when he/she wins gold
Last edited by sam b at Jul 27, 2016,
Nothing will ever top London 2012

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
They haven't but Putin's already called it discrimination, a disgrace, and something that'll take the sheen off it

Quote by EndTheRapture51

On my Facebook 'On This Day' thing this morning there was a big old rant I posted about how opening ceremonies are always shit and why can't they just get on with the actual Olympics.

mfw it was the best opening ceremony for anything ever.

Last edited by RAB11 at Jul 27, 2016,
Maybe the Russians should stop juicing their athletes like they're the bad guys in Rocky IV.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by EndTheRapture51

London 2164 should be good

Quote by RAB11
They haven't but Putin's already called it discrimination, a disgrace, and something that'll take the sheen off it

Russian President Vladimir Putin says medals won at Rio 2016 will be devalued by the banning of Russian competitors.

Quote by sam b
London 2164 should be good

I mean their official line is still 'doping? what doping?' right?

Quote by LostLegion
Buzzing for Ireland to dominate the boxing again.

Again? That one gold from 2012 (in womens boxing) isnt really dominating
Quote by sam b
Again? That one gold from 2012 (in womens boxing) isnt really dominating

Yeah but our media made it sound really big so I'd call that dominating.
Quote by WCPhils
I gonna miss a lot of it this time around and it bums me out. Love the Olympics

They should probably stop picking 3rd world countries to host it though

hosting the Olympics is economically devastating
Check out my band Disturbed
Last edited by StewieSwan at Jul 27, 2016,
Quote by EndTheRapture51

lol
Check out my band Disturbed
Yeah, montreal tax payers were paying for their shit of a stadium up until last year.

I don't know why any city wants the honor, the olympics aren't profitable, and the world as a whole doesn't give a shit about 90% of the events. I don't know why they still have them.

If nothing else have 3 main stadiums that are reusable so they can earn the money back, and we don't have to rebuild the fuckers every 4 years while seeing athletes complain about shit conditions.
Last edited by stratkat at Jul 27, 2016,
Quote by stratkat
the world as a whole doesn't give a shit about 90% of the events. I don't know why they still have them.

It's fun to watch though

I couldnt care less about diving, rowing or weightlifting usually but no doubt I'll be watching them

EDIT: actually maybe not, this might be hard for me to watch given there's a 5 hour time difference
Last edited by sam b at Jul 27, 2016,
Yeah, I don't give a fuck about handball at all but I watched that shit until the finals. Heartbroken when the Swedes lost in the final.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Beach Volleyball
Quote by Mr E Meat
this is your brain

this is your brain on RT

Quote by Standard_A440
Given that you reside in the shade of the natural light of reason, I will defer doing your homework to you.
Quote by StewieSwan
hosting the Olympics is economically devastating
It should probably just cycle through 4-5 cities which have the facilities in place to handle it
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by sam b
This sums up the apparent organisation of the games

Why not then they can toss all of the Kangaroo feces into the water with the rest of the filth for the Olympic swimmers to compete in.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

My son almost qualified again but just fell short. He missed out in London by 4/100ths of a second and this time he missed out by 3/ 10ths. Tough sport to get to the top and even harder to stay there. Everyone looks to knock you off.
If you have never checked out the Wood Brothers. Do yourself a favor and look them up. Best. Band. Ever.

Quote by KonaNuNu
My son almost qualified again but just fell short. He missed out in London by 4/100ths of a second and this time he missed out by 3/ 10ths. Tough sport to get to the top and even harder to stay there. Everyone looks to knock you off.

Sounds almost heartbreaking, still cool your son's a professional (level at the very least) athlete.
Eh. I don't have cable so I won't be watching. I'm sure it'll be a shitshow and at least one athlete will contract a debilitating illness or get killed by police or gangs
I hope the Olympics goes well.

I don't think it will.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by KonaNuNu

in what sport
Quote by KonaNuNu

Damn was he even trying.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
sam b

Sprint Kayak

He is pretty devastated. This was likely his last opportunity to qualify for the Olympics. He has many medals of all colors from international competition but the Olympic Medal is what they all strive for. It is top of the pile in his sport.

The Russian doping thing is a little different but I can tell you that ALL HIGH LEVEL ATHLETES TAKE SOMETHING TO HELP WITH TRAINING AND RECOVERY. It is a matter of what is banned at the time (it changes all the time) and what is hidden inside of common over the counter meds. My son is completely clean and has been tested after every medal winning performance and randomly tested throughout the year. He has never had a positive or an alert. Perhaps if he took something he would have qualified for the O

Of course he wants to compete at the Olympics but he has travelled the world, competed against the best and in some cases has come home with gold. He wouldn't trade those experiences for anything.

Because of his overall physicality fitness, speed and willingness to train he has been approached about an entry level position with our winter bobsled team. Not one of the four yet but they are trying to get him in the system to train with them and hopefully earn a spot someday. Not sure he wants to do it though. High level athletes from fringe sports can have as much trouble making ends meet as much as a musician and he is ready to put his University degree to work and move on with his life.

A chapter may be closing.....

Sorry for the long winded reply
If you have never checked out the Wood Brothers. Do yourself a favor and look them up. Best. Band. Ever.

they're gonna be a total shitshow

literally

Where the crappiest sports in the world can suddenly become the greatest thing ever.

Nahhhh I always watch synchronized swimming and badminton year round
Last edited by EyeNon15 at Jul 27, 2016,
i don't really care that much but i'll watch a bit of it if it's on
I haven't been that excited about watching the Olympics for the last 8 or so years. I hope I can get into watching some this year just for the fact that politics and baseball has sucked to come home to. It might be a nice change for a while. Just hope I don't see coverage of it on Fox News.
Quote by EyeNon15
Where the crappiest sports in the world can suddenly become the greatest thing ever.

Nahhhh I always watch synchronized swimming and badminton year round
I think getting really invested into sports you don't care about at all is most of the fun in the Olympics
___

Quote by The_Blode
KonaNuNu

Thanks for the info. Interesting stuff.
Quote by JustRooster
That's a shamanic incantation of truth if I ever heard one.
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
Can we just have the Winter Olympics again? I like those way better.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by JustRooster
Can we just have the Winter Olympics again? I like those way better.

at least in Sochi it was still a mystery where everyone was getting their pink eye from

used to love it when the Olympics rolled around, could not give a fuck this time around, interest at an all-time low.

the coverage in Australia typically is absolutely horrendous, so many cool sports to choose from and we cop hours and hours of swimming, diving, race walking and equestrian dressage.

I'll probably watch the men's 100m final on YouTube but outside of that, not much.