Hi all. Need to get a small amp I can carry on the bus ?? What do you reckon the minimum wattage I could get away with playing pubs and clubs? Own a vox vt20, is 20 watts enough?

Minimum wattage for club/pub
Last edited by G1rvo at Jul 27, 2016,
I think you mixed up the title and the messagebody :I
These days, most small venues will have a mic to put in front of an amp to run it into a P.A., so wattage almost (almost!!!) doesn't matter as long as you're getting a good tone. But 40 watts will get you through most gigs easily, and they are fairly portable as well.

Mostly, wattage matters more if you're not running through a P.A. and monitor system, which is a distinct possibility. But if you know with certainty that you can run a mic in front of your amp into a P.A. and monitors, then anything that will give you a good tone will work.
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
^ that depends where you are. I know in the UK very few pub venues will provide a PA so you're dependent on your own kit. I don't know what it's like everywhere else in the world, but an amp that can be heard without assistance is vital.

Also worth noting that relying on buses to get you to & from gigs is going to be very restrictive. As soon as you get out of town, late night buses to get you home are going to be few & far between. I wouldn't have someone in my band that doesn't have transport.

That said, the Vox VT series are good practice amps, but they wouldn't be my choice for gigging. If you're happy with them though, make sure you get at least the 80 watter.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Thanks guys. Buses in Liverpool town centre run until 23:30 so its doable but obviously have to leave the gig by 23:20. Not ideal but it's the only way as our other guitarist has left (with his car ha) and I'm taking driving lessons. Will look at a 40w amp as some venues don't mic amp up. Will get the hang of threads to
Quote by G1rvo
Thanks guys. Buses in Liverpool town centre run until 23:30 so its doable but obviously have to leave the gig by 23:20. Not ideal but it's the only way as our other guitarist has left (with his car ha) and I'm taking driving lessons. Will look at a 40w amp as some venues don't mic amp up. Will get the hang of threads to

Most gigs I play go till at least midnight. Don't want to be too harsh, but in your current situation you wouldn't even get an audition for my band.

Given your requirements I strongly recommend looking at something other than the 40w Vox VT, ideally a tube amp which will project the sound much better.

Seriously, continue with the driving lessons, get yourself some transport, then save money for a real amp. Then you'll be ready for some serious gigging. At the moment your best bet would be to try getting some slots as a support band where you can borrow kit from the main act & leave early enough for the bus.
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
well the band I'm in don't mind and mostly help me out with transport for my other decent amp. Thanks kabadi will look into the peavey
This thread title cracks me up
My God, it's full of stars!
Personally, if I had someone in my band who had enough dedication to lug an amp and gear to gigs on a bus I'd be impressed. Good for you G1rvo. I hope you get your licence soon.

I'd suggest your Vox isn't going to cut the mustard and, as others have suggested, I would think a gig with no house PA would need something at least 40w.

Do you have a budget for a another amp at all?
Own a fender twin which is heavy and thought about selling it to get the smaller one but I love it. Budget about £100 then. Been offered to borrow vt40 for now so happy days
So as you've got a decent amp for when you need it, have you considered just getting a multi effects unit for the times you need to catch the bus & can go through a house PA? It would be even easier to transport and would perform better than trying to force an amp to do more than it's designed for.
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Good idea thanks, I've got a boss ME70 and could just go straight into the house desk.