Hi,
After a gap of many years, I'm playing guitar again. I have a Yamaha F310 steel stringed guitar.

After going through some YouTube videos, decided to start practicing in a classical guitar position using a chair and foot stool. Thing is it feels really weird. My picking hand (right hand) goes in an angle that's perhaps best suited for finger style picking, but I use a plectrum and it feels weird.
I used to apply a lot of pressure from left hand (fretting hand) thumb, but found out through YouTube videos that the pressure should be applied from the weight of the hand and slight push from biceps.
My left hand thumb is perpendicular to the neck pouring towards the roof, but if I keep it somewhat in the center of the back of the neck so that its not visible if you are sitting in front of me, my wrist sort of gets a curve. However, if I move my thumb slightly up so that just the tip of it is visible if you are sitting in front of me, my wrist remains comparatively straight but my fingers don't remain parallel to the frets.

So now I think that the classical position is good only for classical and not for steel stringed acoustic guitar, because it all feels weird.
Note - I was self taught and never used to worry about hand position earlier. My left hand thumb used to jut out from the back of the neck back then. I used to hunch over to see fretboard and still do and my neck hurts. Could this be bad habit? Am I just plain over thinking?
I'd just go with what feels the best. If classical position feels bad, don't use it.

Quote by pmublr
I was self taught and never used to worry about hand position earlier. My left hand thumb used to jut out from the back of the neck back then. I used to hunch over to see fretboard and still do and my neck hurts. Could this be bad habit? Am I just plain over thinking?

If your neck or back hurts, I suggest better posture. Better to learn how to play without looking at the fretboard than risk neck damage.

But back to the position, there's no reason you should use classical position. It's in no way more correct than standard. Just use whichever feels more comfortable. I play the electric guitar in classical position, but the steel string in the standard position. (by the way, I can't even remember if "standard position" is a commonly used term, but I do mean keeping your guitar on your picking hand side leg.)
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
I use the "right leg" position, but used to use the classical position at the beginning of gigs if I thought there was a risk of cramping up when playing slide. I think it is better ergonomically for playing both steel and nylon string fingerpicking, and I've seen flatpick players as well as fingerpickers using it. It is possible you have a posture problem. Could you get someone to have a look at your posture.
Tony Done,
Thanks for replying..when you say "I think it is better ergonomically for playing both steel and nylon string fingerpicking, and I've seen flatpick players as well as fingerpickers using it.", are saying the classical guitar posture is better?
Quote by Kevätuhri
I'd just go with what feels the best. If classical position feels bad, don't use it.

agreed
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The classical guitar position is focused on the left hand and playing with your thumb behind the neck ( i.e not using your thumb to fret notes, ever).

The position is almost necessary for classical guitar because of the left hand gymnastics that are required to play even the most modest pieces. It keeps the right hand free as well, since you don't really have to balance the guitar with either hand- the guitar basically sits there.

If you're playing acoustic, chances are that you're not playing material that is difficult enough to warrant using that position. I'm not saying this to be condescending, it's just that the position really isn't necessary for other styles, unless you really need to fly all over the fretboard like a classical player.

I played "proper" classical guitar for many years. I rarely use that position anymore unless I'm playing classical pieces. It's certainly not sexy lol!
Last edited by reverb66 at Aug 1, 2016,