I'm upgrading from an Ibanez S series because it stopped working. I want to buy a guitar that feels like an upgrade from my ibanez, but I also don't want it to break the bank as I'm looking into upgrading my amp from a vox valvetronix 30 watt combo to a peavey 6505 mh and a 112 cab.

I pretty much only play metalcore and other high gain genres so I'm really looking into getting an ESP E-II or a 1000 series LTD. This guitar needs active EMG's, preferably an 81 and an 85. I also want it to be neck thru, and I don't want a floyd because I won't use it.

A few of the guitars i've been looking into:

ESP E-II M1

This is exactly what I want. The only thing is I wish it had a neck pickup even though I use the bridge pickup 98% of the time. I also probably wouldn't be able to afford a new amp so I'd have to stay with the Vox which kinda sucks. Haven't ever played it and I would have to order online[

LTD MH1001 NT

This guitar pretty much has everything I want except its an LTD. What's nice about it is I would also be able to afford an amp upgrade if I bought this over the E-II. The only thing I'm worried about is that it won't feel like an upgrade at all. Haven't ever played it and I would have to order online

LTD EC1000

I've played this at GC and its pretty awesome. The only thing I dont like is the EMG 60 which isn't too big of a deal but I'd prefer the 85. I'm also not even sure if it's neck thru to be honest. I haven't researched this one too much. I also like how my Ibanez plays more than this one but maybe I would just need to set it up

E-II Eclipse

Also considering getting this because I like how it has two pickups as opposed to the one on the M1

What do you all think, could you give me some suggestions?
Last edited by ZachDro at Jul 28, 2016,
Also don't suggest that I just get my Ibanez fixed, I took it to a tech and he had no idea what was wrong with it
Just get the MH.

Also, what in the world were the symptoms with the ibanez?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by ZachDro
Also don't suggest that I just get my Ibanez fixed, I took it to a tech and he had no idea what was wrong with it

Then pray tell, how do you know that there's something wrong?

If getting an E-II is within reach and you desperately want one, then after you've bought the amp, save up for the E-II. You don't need to get that guitar right this instant as much as you need a new amp, in my opinion.

Getting an LTD seems like a bit of a false economy in this situation because even though the 1000 series objectively speaking are very good guitars, it still isn't really what you want. And from a wider perspective, for the amount of money you're happy to spend, the 1000 series aren't that much cheaper than the E-II you're looking at anyway. In getting the LTD you're trying to strike a compromise in an attempt to meet all of your needs, but in making that compromise, you'll probably end up not satisfying any of them.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jul 28, 2016,
T00DEEPBLUE

The guitar creates it's own feedback; I can't play any amps that have the amount of gain I want. I tried to play on a 6505 MH with my guitar and I couldn't even turn the pre gain up a quarter of the way without getting a crazy amount of feedback. I took it to a guitar tech and the only thing he said he could do is rewire it and he isn't even certain that that will do anything.

I honestly need both desperately, I can't buy a new amp without getting a new guitar because my current guitar doesn't work on the amp I want.

You're right, I want the E-II so much more but it's just a ton of money; I'm on that full time engineering student budget.

If I do decide to go with the E-II, would you recommend the Eclipse or M1?
Get a new tech then. Sounds like something wrong with the electronics.

Actually, how loud were you playing through the 6505MH? At jamming volumes & standing near the amp, you're going to get feedback quite easily :P

And like others have said, even though the ltd 1000 series guitars are nice, they are still only slight upgrades from your current guitar (1000 series prices are high due to the cosmetic aspects). Unless you can find a great deal on a used one, I wouldn't go that route.

The Eclipse style guitars from both ESP and LTD are set necks, not neck thru.

Can you get your local GC to bring in guitars for you to try?
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Just a heads up that my LTD EC-1001 and E-II Eclipse are not the same guitars. There are some pretty big ergonomic differences for the upper fret access due to the neck joints and the back of the single cut. Check out this thread I made comparing the two a while back - https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1697441
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
If your tech can't figure out what is wrong with that guitar you need a second opinion, I have a Peavey 6505+ 120w head thru a 4X12 they are great high gain amps but in my small jam room at fairly loud volume I can still control the feedback. Electric guitars unless they have some fancy onboard computer are pretty simple electronically and the Ibanez should be easy to fix.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

If getting an E-II is within reach and you desperately want one, then after you've bought the amp, save up for the E-II. You don't need to get that guitar right this instant as much as you need a new amp, in my opinion.

Getting an LTD seems like a bit of a false economy in this situation because even though the 1000 series objectively speaking are very good guitars, it still isn't really what you want. And from a wider perspective, for the amount of money you're happy to spend, the 1000 series aren't that much cheaper than the E-II you're looking at anyway. In getting the LTD you're trying to strike a compromise in an attempt to meet all of your needs, but in making that compromise, you'll probably end up not satisfying any of them.

agreed.

also i'm not sure about those lower wattage metal heads and the 1x12 cabinet- for heavier stuff i'd probably rather have more wattage and a closed-backed 2x12.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by DarthV
Get a new tech then. Sounds like something wrong with the electronics.

Actually, how loud were you playing through the 6505MH? At jamming volumes and standing near the amp, you're going to get feedback quite easily :P

And like others have said, even though the ltd 1000 series guitars are nice, they are still only slight upgrades from your current guitar (1000 series prices are high due to the cosmetic aspects). Unless you can find a great deal on a used one, I wouldn't go that route.

The Eclipse style guitars from both ESP and LTD are set necks, not neck thru.

Can you get your local GC to bring in guitars for you to try?

+1. I'd wager you either have microphonic pickups or it's user error.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by ZachDro
T00DEEPBLUE
The guitar creates it's own feedback; I can't play any amps that have the amount of gain I want. I tried to play on a 6505 MH with my guitar and I couldn't even turn the pre gain up a quarter of the way without getting a crazy amount of feedback. I took it to a guitar tech and the only thing he said he could do is rewire it and he isn't even certain that that will do anything.

I honestly need both desperately, I can't buy a new amp without getting a new guitar because my current guitar doesn't work on the amp I want.

Well, given that you're an engineer in training, this actually is a good opportunity to apply what you (should be) taught in college to a real-life problem.

Considering the scenario, one of the pickups going microphonic is a possibility from your symptoms. Though the chances of that actually being the case are quite low, there's not really any other ways the guitar could cause it.

Does your guitar squeal on one pickup and not the other? If it does, then the problem is very likely a microphonic pickup. If it squeals on both pickups, then I'm doubtful microphonics are the problem; the chances of it happening to both pickups at the same time is very remote. The cause of the problem in that situation is more likely the amp. In which case; have you tested the guitar with another amp to confirm this?

If using a different amp stops the squealing, then you'd know for sure what would be the wisest thing to purchase next. And it wouldn't be the E-II.

This is the sort of mindset an engineer uses when fault finding. And it's the sort of thing your tech should've been using too, rather than making an assumption that is quite possibly false and then giving up when the area he is assessing doesn't have a fault.
Quote by Dave_Mc
agreed.

also i'm not sure about those lower wattage metal heads and the 1x12 cabinet- for heavier stuff i'd probably rather have more wattage and a closed-backed 2x12.

Yeah.

I think a used 6505+112, as generic a suggestion as it is, might be TS' best option because it's reasonably priced, has more headroom, can sound absolutely brutal with the right mods (which an engineering mind may find curious) and the cabinet whilst being a 112, is at least an oversized unit. It's actually dimensioned more like a small 212
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jul 28, 2016,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Well, given that you're an engineer in training, this actually is a good opportunity to apply what you (should be) taught in college to a real-life problem.

Considering the scenario, one of the pickups going microphonic is a possibility from your symptoms. Though the chances of that actually being the case are quite low, there's not really any other ways the guitar could cause it.

Does your guitar squeal on one pickup and not the other? If it does, then the problem is very likely a microphonic pickup. If it squeals on both pickups, then I'm doubtful microphonics are the problem; the chances of it happening to both pickups at the same time is very remote. The cause of the problem in that situation is more likely the amp. In which case; have you tested the guitar with another amp to confirm this?

If using a different amp stops the squealing, then you'd know for sure what would be the wisest thing to purchase next. And it wouldn't be the E-II.

This is the sort of mindset an engineer uses when fault finding. And it's the sort of thing your tech should've been using too, rather than making an assumption that is quite possibly false and then giving up when the area he is assessing doesn't have a fault.

Yeah.

I think a used 6505+112, as generic a suggestion as it is, might be TS' best option because it's reasonably priced, has more headroom, can sound absolutely brutal with the right mods (which an engineering mind may find curious) and the cabinet whilst being a 112, is at least an oversized unit. It's actually dimensioned more like a small 212
I was planning on looking at it and seeing if I could figure out what the problem was. I have tried it on multiple amps and the same problem still pertains; however, on the amp I have at home I get feedback on both pickups, but only when I press back and forth on the strings around the pickups. When I play it on other amps at guitar center, I just get crazy feedback overall, but not when I press back and forth on my strings.

The problem is probably in both my amp and my guitar.

I quit playing guitar for multiple years and the guitar and amp just sat around in my house, so I expected to have some problems when I picked it back up.

An I'm planning on getting the 6505 MH because I think it sounds great and I don't need something huge; I pretty much only play guitar at my house.
Last edited by ZachDro at Jul 28, 2016,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

Yeah you're probably right, if I'm getting something new, it might as well be an upgrade fro what I have now
Quote by DarthV
And like others have said, even though the ltd 1000 series guitars are nice, they are still only slight upgrades from your current guitar

Or could be a downgrade as we don't know which of the S series they have.
ZachDro

i would get your current guitar sorted out. it will sell better that way too. i haven't had much hands on with E-II's (just the eclipse), but there is a difference. personally i would get the E-II if you have the money. nicer guitar, period.

also, if you have your heart set on an E-II, you will not be happy with the lesser (LTD in this case which is still nice), and you will end up selling the EC and buying an E-II. it will cost you more in the long run.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by SpiderM
Or could be a downgrade as we don't know which of the S series they have.

Unless he has an S prestige, it's a sidegrade at best to an ltd 1000 series.

And trashed has it right, buy what you want the first time. I'm still tempted by one of the bling-y ec-1000 deluxe models (ASB), but for the same amount as one of them new, I can probably get an Eclipse. Might not be quite as flashy, but it's going to be better :P
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

yeah that may well be so (i haven't tried the 112 6505+)

Quote by ZachDro

An I'm planning on getting the 6505 MH because I think it sounds great and I don't need something huge; I pretty much only play guitar at my house.

well, sure, but have you compared it to the bigger 6505 heads? (I haven't, the smaller one may well sound great depending on exactly how quietly you have to play, but it'd be nice to know for sure, at least assuming your local shop also has the bigger ones so you can easily try them.)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?