How do you feel about this

http://www.post-gazette.com/business/businessnews/2010/03/09/Study-finds-median-wealth-for-single-black-women-at-5/stories/201003090163

Old study, from 2010, found that the median net wealth of single white women was $42k.

For single black women it was $5.

Is it cuz of gender and racial inequalities? Should they just try harder? Is this why America isn't great again?

makes u think
My God, it's full of stars!
the last part of the article basically says the government should fix it.

um, err... hmm.
Yea but that was like 6 years ago so you gotta adjust for inflation
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Are they saying that's their yearly salaries or what? Or just what they have to their name?
Well I have no concrete ideas on what's causing this but it's awful and it makes me want to figure it out and go help however I can.

chev311e in the article it said it's their total assets, not income.
cat
Last edited by guitarxo at Jul 27, 2016,
since we don't look at facts as to why things are like this, we just call it racism and sexism
Quote by guitarxo
Well I have no concrete ideas on what's causing this but it's awful and it makes me want to figure it out and go help however I can.

This.
Most likely it includes a lot of factors. Being a woman, being black, being single are all different factors that, in the US, can relate to each other and on other hidden factors in a lot of possible ways
Last edited by gonzaw at Jul 27, 2016,
Quote by mattedbird
since we don't look at facts as to why things are like this, we just call it racism and sexism

"facts"

please enlighten us! I asked the deep questions at the end for a reason
Just wait til people start realizing how much asians out earn white people
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by Dreadnought
How do you feel about this

emotionally emotional

Quote by Pastafarian96
I an evety characyer in this story
Quote by M00NAGEDAYDREAM
emotionally emotional

nice thats epic

Quote by guitarxo
chev311e in the article it said it's their total assets, not income.

shhhh. Obama's on
No average single white woman has 42k in assets. that's a joke. No average white male even has that.

The average american Family has less than $500 in the bank. That was from a couple years ago.

If you are talking about "equity" in a house....maybe.

But then you are trying to say that the average white female owns their own home and has been paying on it long enough to have that much equitiy? Not likely.
So, either they bought a house and the value shot up 40k while they were still single, or they lived in that house (single, mind you) for 5-6 years by themselves to get that 42k in equity - and this is supposed to be AVERAGE, not the Top Tier single white woman?

Get. Fucking. Real.

Maybe the average single black woman is broke because they have kids with no dad around? That'll make you broke, alright.
Last edited by pressureproject at Jul 27, 2016,
Quote by pressureproject
No average single white woman has 42k in assets. that's a joke. No average white male even has that.

The average american Family has less than $500 in the bank. That was from a couple years ago.

If you are talking about "equity" in a house....maybe.

But then you are trying to say that the average white female owns their own home and has been paying on it long enough to have that much equitiy? Not likely.
So, either they bought a house and the value shot up 40k while they were still single, or they lived in that house (single, mind you) for 5-6 years by themselves to get that 42k in equity.

Get. Fucking. Real.

Maybe the average single black woman is broke because they have kids with no dad around? That'll make you broke, alright.

U say average

Me and study say median

How do words work

Edit: oooh nice micro aggressive racist zinger there at the end
Quote by StewieSwan
Just wait til people start realizing how much asians out earn white people
no white people, don't realize this!

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Dreadnought
U say average

Me and study say median

How do words work

Average, in statistics, can refer to any measure of central tendency, such as median.
Free Ali
Quote by Xiaoxi
no white people, don't realize this!
the white people that understand why people of all races and gender make different incomes know this though
Quote by Dreadnought
U say average

Me and study say median

How do words work

Ok, ok...fair enough.

Micro racist? You didn't know that black illegitimacy was a deciding factor of their circumstances? Black people realize this, why don't you?

By the way, "median" is way lower than "average"...so it makes my point even stronger.
Last edited by pressureproject at Jul 27, 2016,
Quote by chrismendiola
Average, in statistics, can refer to any measure of central tendency, such as median.

Oooh good to know, makes u think

^^ there are separate statistics for single with kids (less than $5 I think)
lol this thread will definitely result in nuanced opinions expressed in an eloquent and thoughtful manner
Quote by Thrashtastic15
lol this thread will definitely result in nuanced opinions expressed in an eloquent and thoughtful manner

(shit)storm's a comin'
I think the numbers for single white women 36-49 also reflect other assets beyond a house, car, checking/savings account, such as retirement funds provided through white-collar employment not typically available through working-class/service industry employment. Further, higher income probably relates to greater likelihood of having other investments (stocks, bonds, etc.) that drive that number up. $42k median for that group seems perfectly reasonable.

Whether the gubmint should be involved to correct the race-based discrepancy, or could even plausibly do it, is another matter.
Last edited by Aeolian Harmony at Jul 28, 2016,
Quote by mattedbird
the white people that understand why people of all races and gender make different incomes know this though

Good job on the thread Dread #MakeUGGreatAgain
"It's not about behavior. It's about government policies. Who does the government help and who is it not helping?

"Our government knows how to build wealth for people. They've done it for others and they can do it for all of us. They need to focus some attention on women of color. Look at the situation and see what we need."

In trying to explain the problem, she evinces the problem itself.