Hey guys,

Me my band are considering buying some new gear, including amps. I'm the lead guitarist and I have a little Blackstar HT-1R I can use as a head and therefore I only need a cab. I would love to get a 2x12 Blackstar HTV-212, but would a 1x12 or even a 1x10 be enough to hear the others play (drummer, bassist, singer/2nd guitarist)?

Cheers,
Dave
1w isn't going to get you very far.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
trashedlostfdup I can use it as a head and run it through a cab... watch some videos online if you don't believe me
Last edited by DaveKeehl at Jul 28, 2016,
Sitting next to a drummer? You'll have to mike it up you know?
Personally I'd go for something very efficient speakers like eminence Wizards or Redcoats or something. With such a small powered amp, sensitivity matters more than normal.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jul 28, 2016,
Quote by DaveKeehl
trashedlostfdup I can use it as a head and run it through a cab... watch some videos online if you don't believe me

Haha. 1 watt is 1 watt. Through a v30 (which is a relatively loud speaker) you wouldn't be much (if any) louder than 100db at 1m.

That will not go over a drummer.

If you think that works, do it. I can tell you it won't.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I have to agree with trashedlostfdup. Sure you might be able to use the combo amp as a head through a cab... But you wouldn't want to. One reason is as already, the ability to project with that sound just won't be there. That HT-1R just doesn't have the pushing power to drive a speaker hard enough to get it to a decent volume for a band (drums are very, very loud).

The second reason is... it's not a very good head for a cab - if you look at it as a head. I get that it's got a valve in it, but when you start getting into tube territory that's where money really starts to count. I don't want to crush the dream, but you'd be much better just buying either a bigger better combo amp with tubes in, or buying a real head and cabinet. That way you get something that actually sounds good and is able to be loud enough for a band situation.

I wouldn't waste the money on the cabinet without having a good head.

Always try and get a 12" speaker in the future though, that's regarded as generally the best the size for moving air and getting tone. Personally I think 2x12's are where it's at in regards to tone and mobility. 4x12's are overkill and I think 1x12s don't quite have the same look and impact a 2x12 does.
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
mmmh okay. I was just trying to save as much money as possible. I'll try to look for a 2x12 combo because for our budget it makes no sense to buy both a head and a cab.
even better. It's at Thomann so it's available to you.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/jet_city_amplification_jca5012_combo.htm?ref=search_rslt_jet+city_270766_9
same price as the 22 but a better gigging size
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
And the JCA50 is only 90 euro more and twice the amplifier.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
We didn't want to go above 300 and honestly modeling is better for us because we are still developing the tones
Quote by DaveKeehl
We didn't want to go above 300 and honestly modeling is better for us because we are still developing the tones

Haha, jokes aside, you really don't want a modeling amp. They never sound great and you'll spend far more time dicking around with it trying to get something to sound good, when you could have just bought a real tube amp to begin with and play with the EQ there. Then you can add pedals to the mix and get a whole bank of tones.

Modeling amps just aren't right when it's a 2x12, modeling amps are best suited for home practice and in the sub $200-150 range to get new players exposed to lots of different possible tone possibilities. They're not for performing seriously with (people can feel free to disagree, but if it's not Bias/axe fx/kemper, modeling really isn't the way to go).

The Jet City recommended is quite literally, twice the amp as he says. You'll be far better off with that than the Blackstar.
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Ok listen everyone my budget is very very limited. I would love to try that Jet City but I simpy can't afford it!

If I had the money I would be the first one to get my hands on a delicious tube amp! I'm not here to have arguments. I don't see why that Blackstar is atrocious under your eyes. We are simply friends who enjoy playing together, nothing more. We have never gigged or nothing bigger playing a few songs in front of our girlfriends. So please understand me. Thanks.
Bottom line dude, you can get what you want - no questions, and no one will bug you.

But if you ask these guys and gals at UG -- you're not going to get bad advice - there's years upon years upon years of experience here. They are considering well more than your current needs. Buy what you want, but that JCA50 might just have the best bang for your buck.

If what you're looking for is solidarity and/or justification, you probably wont find it here. I know that, because I used to be that guy.

Good luck amp hunting. I hope what you choose works out!
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Last edited by Jonny Ryan Mac at Jul 28, 2016,
If you're budget is limited, I'd really suggest getting something second hand then That's a great way to get big bang for the buck at a relatively low cost. What band are you in? What type of music do you play?
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Thanks Anthony for the suggestion

I honestly thought about that but I don't know.. for music related stuff I'm a bit skeptic about second hand products.

Anyway! The answer to your question is not that easy for different reasons I'm gonna explain in just a second. First of all, our band is called Voices Beyond Silence. We play punk-acoustic-rock songs but you're not gonna find anything on the internet :P

For the band I need a very versitile amp because sometimes I play dirty rhythm parts and sometimes sparkly clean ones to match with the acoustic guitar of the singer. BUT at home I play totally different stuff. I'm all about metal and hard rock. Usually I use bias and amplitube at home but If I got a new amp I'd like to get one that also suits that part of my playing.
I used to be skeptical about second hand purchases too, but so far everything has gone really well for me. I've bought a $600 guitar, a $800 guitar head, a $700 cab, and then another $700 cab. Everything so far has worked perfectly and only has a few minor physical imperfections here and there. But when it comes to heads/cabs and physical damage... well that's just what happens to them, Kind of built for it!

To be honest just about any amp can do nice cleans, it's just how nice that is the difference. The problem with modelling amps is that actually do quite poorly in regards to giving a good clean and driven tone, they always sound like they're coming from a low quality car stereo.

The Jet City amp mentioned above will do everything you want. It has Fender-type cleans and good Peavey-type drive/distortion. But there's also something else you can do with an amp like this. You can be on the clean channel but have the gain/drive quite high; this allows you to play softly for nice sparkling clean parts, but dig in for crunchier tones. Tube amps give you the ability to be a dynamic player, and that's what makes them so good. I never actually use the clean channel on my amp anymore, I just always run on the crunch channel but play dynamically. It's more challenging and sounds so much better.

And because it has a Peavey-esque dirt channel you will get that metal and hard rock vibe, since it's quite a kind of vintage type of drive/distortion. Jet City is also a good brand to be with, I honestly think that without going second hand this is best you'll get.
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster