Poll: Is it weird to eat out on your own?
Poll Options
View poll results: Is it weird to eat out on your own?
Yes
15 26%
No
43 74%
Voters: 58.
Page 1 of 3
If you go to a restaurant on your own to try a meal or something. Is it considered weird?

Not talking about going to a place like McDonald's or whatever and grabbing a bite to eat quickly, but going and having a sit down meal at a nice place. 2 or 3 courses?

Also what about cinema etc.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Eating meal alone is sad yes

Cinema alone is aight cos you're not talking anyway
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

I've done both and personally find it to be rather liberating.
Cinema is easier done because well, you're in a dark room where no one can see you anyway.
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Epiphone G-400
Cheap acoustic

Roland Cube 30X
USA Big Muff PI
Dunlop Crybaby Wah GCB-95
I personally have no problem doing generally social activities alone.

At a certain point in my life if I hadn't I would never have left the house.
My old signature was too long. Have a daisy.

It's a little embarrassing if someone you know sees you there, otherwise it's great. No arguing over which restaurant to pick and what order to give.
If you're a travelling business dude or something then no

Otherwise, yes
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
I eat out alone every time i eat out.

I went to the force awakens opening night alone and people thought it was weird and kept asking me to move until i was in the back corner

worth going out alone tbh. when i went back to salt lake to visit nobody wanted to do anything for a couple days so i decided to go out by myself. my friend's parents said it was sad and pathetic and talked me out of it so i played gta v by myself while everyone else did nothing. much better alternative lol
eat alone yes.

unless i can bring it out to my car and eat in sadness there.

movies alone no.

because half the people i know are awful to see movies with.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
I pretty much always go to the movies alone if it's a film I really give a shit about. Like I actively book 2 days off from work when a new Star Wars comes out, one on the day of release (thanks, international staggered releases), and one the day after the release. That way I can avoid spoilers and watch it the day after release in the morning time when the cinema is basically just me and no one else

I can't stand dickheads in the movie theater. Like 3 days after the Force Awakens came out I went with my friends, the theater was full, and there were still dickheads who had their phones out or who were absolutely obnoxious. I'd rather take the solitary route rather than be offended by such twats.

As for eating a meal solo, I've never really done that apart from when I was travelling in Japan. That said I've only ever seen guys eat alone, I've never seen a women eat completely by herself. I wonder if there's a reason?
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
I was actually planning to go do everything by myself for a week (including eating) in Malta last week, but my brother decided to come along. It might seem weird in the sense that you don't (or at least I don't) see people doing it very often, but I don't think there's anything weird about the idea itself. Don't mind doing it either.

Might go to a museum alone this weekend. I only just discovered that my city has a museum
Anthony1991

in my year of working at the restaraunt i work at men come in solo all the time but they go to the bar to watch sports and shit. i've seen a few women do this too.

with people who come in primarily to dine out i have only seen one girl do this and she was openly embarrassed about it and clearly just trying to leave her house. I see way more men do it but they usually do the "here for work" thing though there have been some who were embarrassef about it to a lesser extent.

edit: i went to an art museum alone once too
Last edited by slipknot5678 at Jul 28, 2016,
Quote by 'title'
Is it weird to eat out on your own?

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° )
Quote by Mr E Meat
this is your brain

this is your brain on RT

Quote by Standard_A440
Given that you reside in the shade of the natural light of reason, I will defer doing your homework to you.
Last edited by Gatecrasher53 at Jul 28, 2016,
I don't judge. I guess it would be a little strange if it were a 5 star fine dining restaurant. Like, Hell's Kitchen tier.

But if it's a simple restaurant or a cafe/restaurant, then I don't think it's strange. I've gone to one on my own before and didn't feel out of place.

Plus I think it's kind of cute if you're an old man.
Like, I'm thinking of Mike from Breaking Bad.

Movies, no. Some people actually get paid to go watch a movie and review it, after all, so it's not an exclusive group event.
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Last edited by Joshua Garcia at Jul 28, 2016,
Quote by Gatecrasher53
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° )

I'd be too impressed to find it weird
I like going for a coffee on my own sometimes and just sitting and watching people

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
i have irl friends they're just an hours drive away

going for a cheeky nandos with the bffl on saturday

Last edited by EndTheRapture51 at Jul 28, 2016,
Hehehe he said eating out
You hit 'em and they get back up
I hit 'em and they stay down
- Frank Castle
I guess not. I never thought it'd be weird. I'm just doing what I'm usually doing but elsewhere and for a reason.

I don't like "doing stuff" with friends that much. I don't think you have to add some sort of flavoring event you could do on your own, but this time together.

Like I'd go out eating or go to a movie, but not because I want that restaurant or care about that movie, but because I wanna see that friend. If I just want the movie or the meal, I'm gonna go for that.
Last edited by ali.guitarkid7 at Jul 28, 2016,
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
I guess not. I never thought it'd be weird. I'm just doing what I'm usually doing but elsewhere and for a reason.

I don't like "doing stuff" with friends that much. I don't think you have to add some sort of flavoring event you could do on your own, but this time together.

Like I'd go out eating or go to a movie, but not because I want that restaurant or care about that movie, but because I wanna see that friend. If I just want the movie or the meal, I'm gonna go for that.

I think eating out with a person versus not is fun because you can chat and stuff whilst the food is being prepared and basically share an experience together

Sure but again, if you heard good stuff about a restaurant and want to check out their food, it might be good to have the solitude to experience that. Doing stuff alone is awesome. You make new, non-human friends by interacting with whatever activity you're doing.
Almost nothing is fun in solitude

Don't get me wrong I love being alone sometimes. I need it to function and some tasks I just prefer to do on my own (shopping for instance) but that's something I just wouldn't enjoy on my own Instead of being with someone, soaking up the atmosphere and just enjoying their company and the food I'd probably just want to finish my food and get out asap.

When it comes to eating, I think there's a difference between places where you go 'to eat' and places where you go as an experience. really it comes down to whether it's also acceptable to order takeaway at the same establishment.

Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Doing stuff alone is awesome. You make new, non-human friends by interacting with whatever activity you're doing.

"A good 'beep boop' to you as well bowling alley computer", he says, as people stare, while ushering their children towards the fire exits.
Quote by Mr E Meat
this is your brain

this is your brain on RT

Quote by Standard_A440
Given that you reside in the shade of the natural light of reason, I will defer doing your homework to you.
not really, I do it often. I usually have a book or something to read in place of conversing with people.

though it's always when I'm out doing other stuff that day too. going out just to eat alone is a bit too weird for me, rather stay in and get takeout then. eg last time I ate at a restuarant was like a week ago when I had some time to kill before a gig and didn't have lunch so wasn't feeling like going to a pub. ended up having a chill time at a japanese place by myself.

also with friends, we would usually go out and get a meal then go to a bar afterwards, so the only time I ever really go out just to eat food is when it's with family and it's usually some kind of celebration thing.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
i think it is good to be able to do things on your own.

however being alone all the time is awful tbh
I've never experienced eating at a restaurant by myself. There's nothing wrong with doing so but I feel it must be somewhat awkward.
Quote by Anonymous
My favorite sex position is called "WOW". That's where I flip your MOM over.
I don't think it's particularly weird/sad to go to a restaurant on your own - I think I'd be comfortable enough in myself to do it.

On the other hand, if I'm not with someone else, I like to watch TV or a film when I eat, so I don't do it for that reason.
Quote by Gatecrasher53

"A good 'beep boop' to you as well bowling alley computer", he says, as people stare, while ushering their children towards the fire exits.

You laugh but that computer and I have shared some good times. I'm fucking unbeatable at bowling.
You are when you only play against yourself.
Quote by Mr E Meat
this is your brain

this is your brain on RT

Quote by Standard_A440
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
You laugh but that computer and I have shared some good times. I'm fucking unbeatable at bowling.

take out your balls, because I will beat you

also let's bowl

Quote by Pastafarian96
I an evety characyer in this story
I often eat out alone (although not in fancy restaurants, just places that you go to kill your hunger), because I'm too lazy to cook and I will not call my friends and wait for them everytime I'm hungry.

And for the cinema - if I had to see the films with friends everytime I would:
1) Almost never watch films I want to see.
2) Often miss films at all, because when someone finally find time to go out, it's a few days after cinemas stopped screening a film we wanted to watch. -_-

Same with gigs - for example no fucking way I was going to miss The Wall show just because no one else wanted to go or didn't had cash for a ticket.
Quote by slipknot5678
Anthony1991

in my year of working at the restaraunt i work at men come in solo all the time but they go to the bar to watch sports and shit. i've seen a few women do this too.

with people who come in primarily to dine out i have only seen one girl do this and she was openly embarrassed about it and clearly just trying to leave her house. I see way more men do it but they usually do the "here for work" thing though there have been some who were embarrassef about it to a lesser extent.

edit: i went to an art museum alone once too

To be honest I don't do it often enough or spend enough time in bars/restaurants to have a good sample size of data I would imagine on average though that men feel more able to dine alone as opposed to women, though I feel that in the last 10 years this has probably eased.
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
i would eat out more often at diners and stuff if they weren't always on the opposite side of the highway when i actually feel like stopping.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by Gatecrasher53
You are when you only play against yourself.

Quote by M00NAGEDAYDREAM
take out your balls, because I will beat you

also let's bowl

Let's smoke a bowl and bowl.
Page 1 of 3