Hi guys!

I've been playing guitar for about 10-11 years now (since I was about 8), but not very seriously untill 2-3 years ago. Since then I've been focusing a lot on different techniques to improve my playing, but recently I've been hitting the wall - like, not making any progress. I then started filming my playing, and I noticed a lot of bad stuff when it comes to my picking technique, which I find the main issue of not progressing. I like to play with a lot of strength, and recently just building it up so I can downpick really fast (like Metallica, Sylosis etc..). The problem here is that I tend to "lock" my arm when I reach a certain speed, so I don't use my wrist as much as I should do.

So my question is: Do you have any tips on how to approach this? For example practicing 30 min - 1 hour daily with a metronome.

Thank you!
I'm having the same problem. Metal is hard, especially the picking. Only things that have helped me are using a thinner pick, and playing a song slower and slowly speeding it up over time. I would be interested to see what tips others have as well.
A while ago I saw this interesting bass lesson on youtube, that proposed the following approach for those who want to play fast: practice fast movements, slowly. The author demonstrated this by showing a clip of him playing a fast bass solo and a rhythm part, that was actually slowed down to half speed. When slowed down, it looked a bit weird, but I still didn't even notice it was slowed down since he looked so relaxed. The point he was trying to make is that if you want to play fast, you need to practice the exact same movement and technique you'd do when playing fast, just slower.

You could also apply this to guitar of course. So when using a metronome, make sure you use your wrist properly, have consistent picking and stay focused and relaxed, just like you would at faster speeds, but do it slowly and build muscle memory. I hope this whole idea made any sense, I'm not sure if I'm that good at explaining it.

And you should play songs, full songs. It's a great way to build stamina and consistency, don't just repeat a riff twice and call it a day. Try to play for extended periods just to build more endurance. Playing along to songs is a great way to do this.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Quote by Kevätuhri
A while ago I saw this interesting bass lesson on youtube, that proposed the following approach for those who want to play fast: practice fast movements, slowly.

I'll drop the video here for easy access, and because i like Adam.

Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Cheers, I didn't link it to the initial post as I had forgot the exact name and was too lazy to scour through his channel. But yeah, Adam is great.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Michael Angelo Batio, says in order to play fast, you have to learn how to play slow.