Page 1 of 3
As a white person with no known background due to familial circumstances (mother adopted; father is gone), my cultural history is unknown. Always left to be a mystery, so the nation I identify with is Canada. Which is a collection of beliefs, practices, and no discernible semblance of culture that isn't suited towards pockets of its own people.

My roommate is 1/8th native, so she got a dream catcher tattooed on her. That sort of identity based on nationality, or cultural history. She isn't knowledgeable about her history, so I think it's a front for a lack of personality. But as a native, she's told to stand with other natives regardless. It's that sort of cultural influence I'm interested in.

So, if you're America, you identify with BEING AMERICAN by fuckin eagles (male OR female) and kickin ass, or alternatively, you're American and very in-tune with America's national history and identify with American-esque values, whatever you believe those to be based on.

or if you're Scottish, move somewhere else, but still identify with Scottish values.

Do you think knowledge of ancestral history is important? Do you form your identity around nationality? Is your cultural or national history important to you?

Good or bad, is your identity based around your nationality or culture.
Last edited by severed-metal at Jul 28, 2016,
Nationality probably runs deeper in North America since we're not crowded with countries in the way Europe is. Each State has their own culture even, but overall a sense of national unity is somewhat strong in the US.

North America also has a bit of an ego considering how much of the world food supply we control. Everyone needs to be our friend.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Last edited by JustRooster at Jul 28, 2016,
Why would you let anything define you? Culture is not important, practicing your scales and arpeggios is all that matters. You can dress up and act like whatever you want but it ain't gonna matter.
i'm english so i'm a fucking cunt, i'm also half scottish so i hate myself

that's about it really
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
( )_( ) signature to help him gain World Domination

Do you remember chalk hearts melting on a playground wall
Do you remember dawn escapes from moon washed college halls
Do you remember the cherry blossom in the market square
Do you remember I thought it was confetti in our hair
Do the Ancestry.com DNA kit. It can determine some of your background for you. $100

Ancestry should be important, I think, until you are so consumed or over the top that you become annoying to those around you.

I have English, Polish, Ukrainian and German grandparents. I identify mostly German due to last name, and the fact Grandma's German recipes are the shit.

Good luck.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
Why would you let anything define you? Culture is not important, practicing your scales and arpeggios is all that matters. You can dress up and act like whatever you want but it ain't gonna matter.

peppers gonna pepper
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

says nobody in buttfuck nowhere

Quote by Pastafarian96
I an evety characyer in this story
My family has moved around so much that I have no sense of national identity and feel like a foreigner wherever I go.
When asked where I'm from, I usually tell people I was born in Russia to avoid boring them with my whole life story, but at the same time I know that if I ever went back to Russia I would not fit in.
I don't know if I'd classify ancestry as ultimately "important" (genetics concerning disease aside), but I think it's certainly interesting to track how your ancestors moved across the world.

In my own case, my family has kept very good records of descendants and all that over the past few centuries. For example, we can trace our Graham name clear back to John de Graham, who fought with William Wallace. Does that mean that I'm super inspired by Braveheart now? No, but it's cool to see your blood be from some history.

And as far as national pride, as an American, I have none left. Whatever spirit I had within has been eliminated this election season.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
practicing your scales and arpeggios is all that matters
stop spreading lies

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Jul 28, 2016,
IDK my mom's ancsters hail from Germany, one of her uncle's did extensive research (back in the day before Ancestry.com etc.) and traced that side of my family all the way back to the early 1800's where one of our ancestors owned a small tavern in Germany. On my Dad's side I have alway's been told our ancestors were Scots-Irish, recently I found that there were some ancesters of my Dad that have connections to both the American Revolutionary War and American Civil War, with one of them credited for being one of the founding fathers of the state that I live in which is Indiana. I also discovered the name of another one of my Dad's ancestors on a plaque located in the Soldiers and Sailors monument which is on the circle in the middle of downtown Indianapolis where I live.

I am glad to know some of my family history but don't feel it has any real bearing on my day to day life.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Jul 28, 2016,
inb4 peppers hasn't trained his ear for intervals

lol fucking casual
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

Everything defines you. Argument over.

EDIT: For example, your intelligence defines you. Letting things define you is natural and is going to happen whether you want it to or not. Defining yourself makes you adhere to particular principles. Is that what you're thinking of?
Last edited by severed-metal at Jul 28, 2016,
Xiaoxi
You don't run up and down all your major 7, dominant 7, minor 7 and minor 7 b5 chords and all 4 inversions? I do that shit all day. I memorized shapes that fit into the 3nps scale shapes so any arpeggio I play comes exactly from a scale mode shape. Its some good shit.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
you're trying too hard now
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
severed-metal
It's a little deeper than that mate.

I have long hair. I don't let it define me. Some people let their hair cuts define them as a person. You aren't supposed to let the material world define me. I'm 1/8th Native American. I don't go around buying tapestries with Indians and horses on them so other people know for sure I am a little Indian boy. I like to try to express a neutral emotion. What would Jesus do? He would sit down and practice them scales and arpeggios. It don't matter if you're white or black or Canadian, you aren't going to find yourself in relating to those things, you exist within. Relate to the pure emotions you experience. Don't let republican or democrat define your beliefs.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
severed-metal

I have long hair. I don't let it define me. Some people let their hair cuts define them as a person. You aren't supposed to let the material world define me. I'm 1/8th Native American. I don't go around buying tapestries with Indians and horses on them so other people know for sure I am a little Indian boy. I like to try to express a neutral emotion. What would Jesus do? He would sit down and practice them scales and arpeggios. It don't matter if you're white or black or Canadian, you aren't going to find yourself in relating to those things, you exist within. Relate to the pure emotions you experience. Don't let republican or democrat define your beliefs.

If Jesus wrote music it would be extremely beautiful. Just imagine. God using simple 12 tone music notes to creat extra beautiful music that would stand as a source of pure happiness. It would probably be a little mechanical, but in such a way it expressed all th emotions. Kind of like when Bach doesn't waste time trying to create little melodies on 4 different harmonies and just mak straightforward music.
Quote by severed-metal
So, if you're America, you identify with BEING AMERICAN by fuckin pussy and kickin ass,
Not everyone likes girls
Glad to cross paths with you on this adventure called life
Quote by Jet Penguin
lots of flirting with the other key without confirming. JUST LIKE THEIR LOVE IN THE MOVIE OH DAMN.
Quote by Hail
you're acting like you have perfect pitch or something
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
severed-metal

Alright, I understand your side and your love of scales and arpeggios.

My roommate is also 1/8th native and does that very same thing you mentioned. Kind of interesting. But that's what this thread about, how culture and/or nationality defines people and allows people to attach themselves to an ideal created by the established ideals of their nation or culture.
Quote by severed-metal
As a white person with no known background due to familial circumstances (mother adopted; father is gone), my cultural history is unknown.

Doesn't have to be.

https://www.23andme.com/
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Jul 28, 2016,
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
If Jesus wrote music it would be extremely beautiful. Just imagine.
No need to imagine. He already did. It's a lil thing called

JOHANN SEBASTIAN BACH

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Why do people care about their "cultural history?" Seems like a waste of time, you didn't experience it, you're who you are now and you can define yourself.

"Every day I wonder how many things I am dead wrong about."
Quote by severed-metal
*corrected

too much of a spaz for that. I don't even go to the doctor.

It's a cheek swab, no needles, no blood.
Charles Darwin
Associate with no culture or nationality based on geography or biology. Choose your own. Simple.

I think people do that anyway, regardless of whether it syncs with their nationality or "heritage". The choice is easier when it's that blatant. Generally, easier isn't better.
Last edited by ali.guitarkid7 at Jul 28, 2016,
Quote by korinaflyingv
Why define yourself? Seems like a waste of time when you can just define yourself by cultural history instead. Much easier.

ahem

Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Generally, easier isn't better.
As callous as it is to say I dont give a shit about my culture, my race etc... I care about my friends, my family and myself. I dont believe in religion, I sont believe in karma or fate. I believe in working hard and playing hard and thats how I choose to define myself. Not some label that means nothing at the end of the day.

Do you think knowledge of ancestral history is important? No. If youre interested in it, cool.

Do you form your identity around nationality? Not at all, or else all I would do is speak broken english, sing karaoke or be a nanny.

Is your cultural or national history important to you?
No because I have 0 interest in it and you only live once. I wouls rather waste my time on things I actually care about.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by Arby911
It's a cheek swab, no needles, no blood.

Has nothing to do with that. It's an irrational fear of medical conditions and hospitals, frankly anything almost semi-medically related. Trying to convince myself to go to a hospital because I know something is wrong is near impossible. My heart rate jumps up something fierce when I'm in an hospital or even near one, even to visit. It stems from fear of death and seeing my grandfather's body on a hospital bed after his death. I've grown a little better over time, but needles haven't really scared me nor has blood.
Yeah I try to keep some of it close. We moved to America when I was 3.5, but I like to learn about my homeland, I like to speak the language (albeit poorly). To be without culture seems somewhat...empty to me. I was raised sort of traditionally, so a lot of it sticks with me. Perhaps I'll go back and live out the end of my days there.

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Not at all, or else all I would do is speak broken english, sing karaoke or be a nanny.

So you're Korean?
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Associate with no culture or nationality based on geography or biology. Choose your own. Simple.

I think people do that anyway, regardless of whether it syncs with their nationality or "heritage". The choice is easier when it's that blatant. Generally, easier isn't better.
Yeah, and like I'm talking about consciously making it a part of your identity. I think it's inevitable and really of no consequence to have some traditions and the like because of where you live or your heritage. Everyone does this, it's unavoidable. It can even be a fun or interesting thing to learn about. But choosing to actively continue and preserve activities, culture, etc. or make it a large part of your personhood because it's what your ancestors "were" seems silly.

"Every day I wonder how many things I am dead wrong about."
Quote by beadhangingOne
Yeah I try to keep some of it close. We moved to America when I was 3.5, but I like to learn about my homeland, I like to speak the language (albeit poorly). To be without culture seems somewhat...empty to me. I was raised sort of traditionally, so a lot of it sticks with me. Perhaps I'll go back and live out the end of my days there.

So you're Korean?

Closish
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I identify with the English and Scottish sides of my ancestors in hating the UK if that counts
Quote by seanlang01
Yeah, and like I'm talking about consciously making it a part of your identity. I think it's inevitable and really of no consequence to have some traditions and the like because of where you live or your heritage. Everyone does this, it's unavoidable. It can even be a fun or interesting thing to learn about. But choosing to actively continue and preserve activities, culture, etc. or make it a large part of your personhood because it's what your ancestors "were" seems silly.

Nah. Reject it all. Heritage is bullshit.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Nah. Reject it all. Heritage is bullshit.

Serious?
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
Serious?

Don't worry, he meant except america and guns. Y'all can keep that up.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Page 1 of 3