Page 1 of 3
When I was growing up, my family seemed to believe in keeping your political opinions private. It was considered rude to ask somebody who they were going to vote for in an election. As time has passed, it seems like almost everyone is very open about their political beliefs, and even most of my family now has no problem talking about who they want to be president.

Do you keep your political opinions private, or do you actively discuss them with your acquaintances?

I personally don't talk about politics unless somebody else brings it up. Even then, I usually refrain from mentioning specific candidates or politicians and just refer everything to my own belief system. That is partly because I don't really know which politicians to trust and which not to, but also because I've seen people turn on each other after revealing their political beliefs, when otherwise they get along just fine.
I keep them private when it's appropriate

aka at work, when I'm talking to people I can't afford to piss off, etc.

and I stop political discussions when I feel like we're going down the route to shouting at each other

I'm basically quite frank about things with my family most of all, then vlodr friends, but friends I have to stop the discussions sometimes
vote corbyn
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Yea, I was also raised to think it's rude to ask about political affiliation and shit like that. I discuss them to a certain point with most people, but I generally keep stuff to myself.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
yeah i keep mine private
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
( )_( ) signature to help him gain World Domination

Do you remember chalk hearts melting on a playground wall
Do you remember dawn escapes from moon washed college halls
Do you remember the cherry blossom in the market square
Do you remember I thought it was confetti in our hair
Private because I don't want to be that guy

However, it is always acceptable to complain about whoever's in government in the UK.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Last edited by Woffelz at Jul 28, 2016,
It's a silly culture we have when it comes to talking politics.

Like, you want to make decisions about what I'm allowed to/have to do, pay, etc, but for me to ask you what they are is rude? Haha ok.
Check out my band Disturbed
I'm super coy. Betcha don't know who I'm backing this year.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Private mostly. I dont really want or need to know who you voted for or who you support.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by ErikLensherr
I'm super coy. Betcha don't know who I'm backing this year.

Not a clue but whoever she is, I hope she loses...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
No, I don't. Just two days ago I ruined the morning of a family trip to Buckingham Palace by loudly complaining that the monarchy is an old, out-dated concept and our baffling commitment to it is a contributing factor in the class war that has pushed the UK into making terrible decisions like electing Conservatives and voting for a Brexit. I am absolutely, 100%, incapable of keeping my political opinions to myself.
Quote by StewieSwan
It's a silly culture we have when it comes to talking politics.

Like, you want to make decisions about what I'm allowed to/have to do, pay, etc, but for me to ask you what they are is rude? Haha ok.
Yea, because some people are incapable of acting like reasonable people once they know that someone disagrees on a political issue. Political opinions are usually pretty personal, and it's generally rude to ask people about personal shit directly. Basically an extension of a secret ballot.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I have spent my whole live living in conservativeland, so I have learned that politics is not a good topic to be open and honest about unless I want to be burned at the stake.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by bradulator
I have spent my whole live living in conservativeland, so I have learned that politics is not a good topic to be open and honest about unless I want to be burned at the stake.

Okies love a good barbecue...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
I rarely say anything, Australia is seemingly much like the UK and the US where you just get to pick between terrible or equally terrible and if you say anything to pot either party when they deserve it you instantly cast yourself as a fanatical supporter of the other side.
Quote by bradulator

Also why I tend to keep my political opinions to myself
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by bradulator

Yeah and now I live (and work at) in the total opposite where stake burning is even more apropos for my leanings, so I just stay quiet. Also to be polite and all that. Same with religion, although being an atheist doesn't really turn heads here.

"Every day I wonder how many things I am dead wrong about."
i wish less people would talk about religion and politics in the workplace. its fucking obnoxious.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
I will happily discuss my political views with anyone who asks about them

But if I'm not asked I keep them to myself
I have nothing important to say
yea, and I can't really stand people who have to bring theirs up constantly. Nothing ruins a good time faster than that

I barely have any though
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Jul 28, 2016,
Quote by BladeSlinger
Yea, because some people are incapable of acting like reasonable people once they know that someone disagrees on a political issue. Political opinions are usually pretty personal, and it's generally rude to ask people about personal shit directly. Basically an extension of a secret ballot.

totally agree on the extension of a secret ballot call, but I think if having those sorts of discussions was more acceptable it would go a long way towards forcing politicians and the media to be more accountable.

I forget where it comes from but the idea that you get the government you deserve couldn't be more accurate IMO
i'm never too specific unless asked in an appropriate setting, but it's usually pretty clear from talking to me that i'm a leftist or whatever.
there's really only one friend i frequently discuss politics with but that's cause he's a libertarian and it's entertaining for us to disagree so fundamentally.
i don't know why i feel so dry
I do. It's not because I think they should be private, but because people can get really obnoxious when it comes to discussing politics. I'm not tryna listen to some dildos get riled up about politics.
Free Ali
I'm generally open about them, and relish political debate, but recognise some people struggle with or otherwise dislike such debate. So outside of the odd post on Facebook or threads online, I've learned to keep them relatively quiet.
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
I'm usually pretty quiet about politics except in my music. I just don't like the opposing team style sports talk crap that starts when someone does not share the same viewpoint as me and can't debate like a mature adult.
My Current Mains
- 1996 Fender Jag-Stang with EMG Pickups
- 1998 Fender Jaguar with Cool Rails
- 1982 Hondo Paul Dean II (DiMarzio Super II X2)
- 2010 "Fender" Jazzmaster (Home built)
- 2013 Squier VM Bass VI (stock)
Quote by chrismendiola
I do. It's not because I think they should be private, but because people can get really obnoxious when it comes to discussing politics. I'm not tryna listen to some dildos get riled up about politics.

Bro, you haven't lived until you've Bill O'Reilley'd against a bunch of Bill O'Reilleys at a bar
Last edited by Fat Lard at Jul 28, 2016,
Quote by Mad-Mike_J83
I'm usually pretty quiet about politics except in my music.

?
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
sometimes I play the what party are you for guessing game by looking at people and judging them. now and then I make some comment about something in the news and see their reaction. talking about it with people you don't know usually gets awkward pretty quick, even if you are on the same thinking
Sometimes I pretended to be into Trump to piss off this one girl at work. Dunno what you guys mean about people being obnoxious
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
private
i also try to ignore other peoples political opinions as much as possible

every single morning i have to turn off CBS This Morning bc i don't want to listen to my grandmother constantly bitch about every single little thing the party that she does not follow does
It's none of your business whether or not I keep my privates political
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Yes I keep them private, because my opinions are completely 100% informed by the mainstream media.
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
Quote by Carnivean
Yes I keep them private, because my opinions are completely 100% informed by the mainstream media.
This is also why I typically keep shit to myself. There's a good chance I'm seriously misinformed or generally ignorant of the subject.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
i keep my political opinions to myself 'cuz it's secret we need secrets crets crets crets crets crets crets crets crets crets crets crets

#crookedhillarycrookedhillary
Page 1 of 3