Absolutely torn on which to buy. Been in the market for a V-shape for a while, and my local Guitar Center does not stock either Jackson or Dean V options, unfortunately.

I've had a LTD V-50 in the past, that's about all for the V shape. I liked the neck on it, but I could afford a bit more width on the fingerboard dimension for sure, and I understand that the Jacksons/Deans have a bit of a wider neck profile. For comparison, the 2016 Gibson wider neck profile is just a bit uncomfortable for my smaller hands.

Budget ceiling is just above $1,000. Currently using a Marshall DSL40 for the amp, no pedals. As far as pickups go, I'm totally fine with either actives or passives.

The Jackson KVXT and the VMNT Trans Blue color are the ones I've mostly got it narrowed down to. Of course, I'll take suggestions for other V shapes! Thanks!
I'd buy a used Jackson Pro series. They are well under $1k in the states.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
I have the vmnt Tigers eye and I love it. Great pickups (livewires) and just overall very good. I bought mine used and had a new bone nut installed ($50) and it is amazing. Had a little fret buzz when I got it but not sure if it was from original owner or just a badly cut factory nut. Wasn't extreme but I'm very picky. I can't speak for Jackson (never owned one) but I dont see how you could go wrong with the vmnt.
The Dean seems to be rather expensive for a set-neck, fixed bridge guitar. Granted it comes with a case. But you're paying a lot for the signature.

With that budget you can get a Jackson Pro King V, which is upper mid-range instead of the lower-mid range KVXT. And there are always some no-repairs remanufactured ones out there for a great price. It looks though you want a fixed bridge but you can always block the Floyd Rose in the Pro King V.

Regardless, I would go with a Jackson. They look much nicer in my view and they are neck-through. If you go with the Pro version you get cool features, like the oiled neck which is fantastic.
Last edited by dthmtl3 at Jul 28, 2016,
I don't have much experience with the new Jacksons but as far as I can remember they're quite ok build wise and I loved the satin finished neck that they have (or maybe just the satin finished ones).

Now as for the Dean, I own a VMNT Angel of Deth and I love it, very good build quality for the price as you would expect from MIK guitars nowadays. It is also very light for its size I say. The neck feels quite similar to a Wizard Neck though not as thin and is really comfortable to play with. Pickups are fantastic especially for the heavier music genres. I was also surprised that it came in with some decent quality electronics with alpha pots for the controls and a Mallory capacitor for the tone control. The only thing I was not fond of was the quality of the bridge that they have used as it was sharp on the edges but hey replacing it with a quality bridge such as a Gotoh is not that expensive and very much worth it in the long run.

Guitars:
'05 Framus Camarillo Custom : [EMG 81 + 85 + PA2]
'06 Schecter C-7 Hellraiser : [EMG 81-7 + 707]
'09 ESP USA Eclipse-II FR : [EMG 81 + 60]
'10 Heritage H-150 : [Seymour Duncan '59 + Seymour Duncan '59]
Amps/FX:
Blackstar HT Metal 60C : [WGS Reaper + Retro 30]
Blackstar Fly 3
Boss GT-100v2
Jackson Pro hands down for me.

The Pro Series King V's look straight up sick and they're nicely specced. I've also heard very little in the way of QC problems. IIRC, they're made in the Samick factory that makes lots of other guitar brands, such as Ibanez' Premium guitars.

I do sort of point my nose up at Deans though, sometimes a bit unfairly. I've not had very good experiences with them and I dislike their designs and styling choices. But I don't feel like I'm missing all that much by not being a fan as there are so many brands that make similar guitars out there.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Jackson Pro no question, don't pay more for a signature model. I have Both Dean and Jackson guitars, I don't really like the headstock on the VMNT or the placement of the volume knob.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Jul 29, 2016,
I've played the Pro Series, the VMNT has never interested me...mainly a looks thing, I'm sure its a fine instrument. I have been spoiled because I have played several USA Jacksons and Charvels and they have kind of ruined everything else underneath it for me. I believe the Pro Series is overpriced, and you can get them on the used market usually at the right price, depending on your location. So if that's an option for you, its the way I would go.
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Jackson/Charvel Star W/ Custom Graphics.
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Tutorial: Studio Quality Programmed Drum Sounds
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I do sort of point my nose up at Deans though, sometimes a bit unfairly. I've not had very good experiences with them and I dislike their designs and styling choices. But I don't feel like I'm missing all that much by not being a fan as there are so many brands that make similar guitars out there.

i am the same way. i haven't liked the ones i have tried, most are extremely fugly, and for the same price you can get something better.

i don't feel like i am missing out on much either.

WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Jackson Pro hands down for me.

The Pro Series King V's look straight up sick and they're nicely specced. I've also heard very little in the way of QC problems. IIRC, they're made in the Samick factory that makes lots of other guitar brands, such as Ibanez' Premium guitars.

Quote by trashedlostfdup
i am the same way. i haven't liked the ones i have tried, most are extremely fugly, and for the same price you can get something better.

i don't feel like i am missing out on much either.

That makes three of us, if the choice is between a Dean and any other brand of guitar, I will take the other brand. All Deans I have played have felt like plastic toys, been horribly build and I hate their ways of abusing Dimebag's memory every chance they get to make some money, atrocious business practice and ethic.

Even the custom shop stuff they give to artists are total shit, I remember an interview with Trivium where the guys said they always used to break/fall apart and were generally just terrible instruments so they left them ASAP as soon as the original contract or whatever was finished.
My Gear:
Ibanez Jet King 2
Ibanez RGDIX7 MPB
Ibanez GRG 7221
OLP John Petrucci
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
Squier Stratocaster (modified)
Harley Benton CLD-41S (Acoustic)

Peavey Vypyr 30.

Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss FRV-1 '63 Fender Reverb